Bryan McClendon comin'...aaaannnd he's gone

Advertisement
For what it's worth, most coordinators usually take all interviews because it's actually a resume builder.....
He’s not a coordinator interviewing for a HC job.

He’s a co-coordinator interviewing for a WR coach position that may or may not come with a co-OC title.

It’s completely lateral. Possibly even a downgrade.

He staying or what?

Seems like he is plan D for UGA. UGA knows he would jump at the chance to come back even though the HC fired him when he got hired. UGA going to interview their top guys and offers will leak but they know bmac will still be there willing to come back if their top options fall through.

After a month on the job? Show me where someone has been on the job for about a month and interviews for a lateral position.

He may not view UGA as a lateral position which is another conversation.

Advertisement
We are now almost two months into the Mario Cristobal era.

Going in, we knew he would be a phenomenal recruiter. That’s always been his calling card. We knew we would not have to worry about that and so far he’s done an excellent job in that regard. No complaints.

What we knew we would have to worry about - as was discussed by many here when he was hired including D$ - was his coaching. He’s not a savant. He’s not a QB guru. He doesn’t have a cutting edge scheme. He’s not a good game day coach. Mario would have to rely heavily on his assistants to get our program back to the pinnacle. And to do that, he was allegedly given one of the biggest assistant coaching pools in the country. So we should be good, right?

Here is where are we almost two months later:

Cristobal has hired four coaches. Three of them are transplants from Oregon. The other is a 34 year old RB coach with two years of P5 experience.

Of the three coaches from Oregon, one is Mario’s best friend, one has never coached on the East Coast and one is actively entertaining the idea of leaving for a lateral positron at another school.

We don’t have an offensive coordinator, having been turned down at least once, maybe twice.

We don’t have a defensive coordinator.

For someone who absolutely needed to nail his assistant coaching hires, it has not been a good start for Mario. I don’t think that’s really disputable.

Obviously, that can change quickly. Mario could go out and hire two grand slams at OC + DC and this will all be forgotten.

But at this moment, I think it is absolutely fair to be critical of how things have gone so far.

If that’s “annoying” or “pointless”, so be it. I just call it like I see it.

There isn’t a single lie written here.

The question of whether this is all part of a master plan is in the eye of the beholder.

We’ll all know soon enough.

He could’ve easily turned down UGA’s interview request and we wouldn’t be having this conversation.

The fact that he accepted the interview and is looking to leave is the issue. Not whether or not he actually gets the job. Even if he doesn’t, you can bet he won’t be here more than a year.
Dude, most people are not turning down interview request from their alma mater.... even if they really not wanting to go at that time. Didn't Mario just do the same thing? At most it's an opportunity to go home, and at the least... it's a courtesy interview.

Seems like he is plan D for UGA. UGA knows he would jump at the chance to come back even though the HC fired him when he got hired. UGA going to interview their top guys and offers will leak but they know bmac will still be there willing to come back if their top options fall through.
Had to have leaked from UGA as this would not benefit McClendon having this out there especially if he doesn’t get the job. Puts him in an odd spot with Mario and recruits.

Wouldn’t put it past Kirby to do this on purpose with no intent to hire but use it as a way to negatively recruit.

Advertisement
After a month on the job? Show me where someone has been on the job for about a month and interviews for a lateral position.

He may not view UGA as a lateral position which is another conversation.
Coaches are ALWAYS doin **** like this, it's how they keep their names out there. High school coaches, too. Again, at most, it's an opportunity to go home. Can't deny that. At the least, a courtesy interview. Coaches don't have a personal connections to this university like we do.

You can’t possibly believe that.
Bruh, I've done it before!!! I speak from experience. Now , it was on the High school level. It actually got me a head basketball job about 10 years ago. Coaches do this type **** all of the time. We as fans just don't hear about it. It's a shady *** business, mane. Not personal

Dude, most people are not turning down interview request from their alma mater.... even if they really not wanting to go at that time. Didn't Mario just do the same thing? At most it's an opportunity to go home, and at the least... it's a courtesy interview.
You are not accepting an interview for a lateral job whether it’s home or not.

The real question is does he feel like UM and UGA are equal. He may view us as UCF which would then be a promotion.

Mario’s situation was a promotion as Saban gave him an assistant head coach title and a pay raise and obviously Bama was a better program with more resources.

But if we are being told we have money to get any coach and we will have the resources to compete with the UGAs why wouldn’t the guy stay and be loyal to the guy that brought him from Oregon instead of rewarding the guy that previously fired him?

The real question is does he feel like UM and UGA are equal. He may view us as UCF which would then be a promotion.

Mario’s situation was a promotion as Saban gave him an assistant head coach title and a pay raise and obviously Bama was a better program with more resources.

But if we are being told we have money to get any coach and we will have the resources to compete with the UGAs why wouldn’t the guy stay and be loyal to the guy that brought him from Oregon instead of rewarding the guy that previously fired him?
If there is more money then you absolutely accept the interview... but I find the 'money' argument as flimsy given our current situation

Advertisement

Mario literally just did this by leaving Oregon. It was a lateral move. He was the HC of Oregon. Now is the HC of Miami.

Why did he come here? Because it’s his alma mater.

I don’t fault BMac if he leaves. This is a business and I try to keep it real. I recognize UGA is a better program than us right now. They just won a national championship. And it’s his alma mater.

Like I said Mario to Miami has their attention. Doesn’t mean they’re scared but anyone with a lick of sense knows Miami is always one hire away from being right back in the limelight.

T Rob has been one of the beat cb coaches in college ball for awhile but now he gets the call from Saban. Now Saban decides he’s the guy lol.
this ... due to us being so suspect i've always worried about the recruits aspect of this, but it's levels ... mario himself put us on a different level ... top schools not only beat you on the field and in recruiting, they beat you in coaching ... the idea of recruiting coaches is new to me, but i understand it ... just another level we're on

love the fact that mario has a mini coaching tree growing, that means he's able to spot the next coaching talent ...

That's an hour and 12 minutes of probably mostly garbage. Either provide the exact quote or point me to the timestamp.
I **** sure ain’t ain’t listening to a bunch of nonsense to get a 20 second nugget that more than likely doesn’t mean squat.

Advertisement
They're here...
Think About It Reaction GIF by Big Potato Games

Timing is everything. When Mario hired BMac, I don’t believe either had any inclination a position that BMac was qualified for would become available at BMac’s ALMA MATER and that he coached at for several years.

Would you remain loyal to the HC that gave you a great job or would the pull of your alma mater that just won a natty lead you back there?

Tough decision on BMac’s part. I’ve NEVER begrudged anyone trying to better their lives for whatever their reasons may have been.

Why is this not surprising to people on here. UGA is the top of college football right now. Its not a lateral move for him if he makes it. He is getting job security and first round talent already in place to coach.

Just look at our head coach. He was on the Miami staff for 6 weeks and Saban came calling coming off two straight NCs and he didn't hesitate to make the move.

Advertisement
Back