Brown on earning your spot, Cam Davis emergence

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
In response to transfer rumors regarding freshman players, OC/RB coach Thomas Brown said that it’s a process getting young players to mature and learn to earn their spot every day.

“I’ve said all year when it comes to young guys that come in and have high expectations, come in and expect to play early, there’s always a process of maturing and growing up,” Brown said. “When you have young guys - it’s a process of coaching those guys up, encouraging them. We have some tough dudes on this football team that come to work every single day, ignore the outside noise, just come to work.”

Yesterday, N’Kosi Perry pointed out that he didn’t play at all as a true freshman and he tells the current freshmen to keep working hard and look at the bigger picture. Brown agrees that Perry has shown leaps of improvement mentally from where he was just one season ago and says he’s an example to follow in terms of kids that are unselfish and want to help the team however possible.

“We kind of talk about [Perry] all the time. I love the fact that he has endured some tough times and been able to overcome. Also, with him playing at the quarterback spot, I’ve said it before, even going back to Malik [Rosier] – it’s tough, in a high-profile environment, to be the quarterback. Especially when things aren’t going great. He has done a really good job of tuning that stuff out.

“Him and Malik, and all of our quarterbacks, really, are staying close-knit together, not turning against each other, competing their butts off. But also talk about Travis Homer – he has been our starter for the last two years, or really a year and a half. His first year he played only special teams and was an unselfish guy. We need more unselfish guys who are going to help the team in whatever way possible, and it’s working out for him now.”

Brown feels a lot of the negative energy from outside the program is having a poor effect on some of the young players, but says his charges must be mentally tough and tune out the noise.

“From the outside looking in, it’s hard to realize what these guys go through every single day,” Brown said. “It’s harder for our players to sometimes tune out the negative stuff from a media standpoint because they’re always in front of their phones. … It’s a social media generation, so they’re all on Twitter, Instagram, Snapchat, whatever it is - it’s that type of world we live in.

“We have to do a good job as coaches of bringing in guys that are talented enough for this program but also love Miami and are tough individuals. It’s tough for you to be successful in the game of football and also in life if you’re mentally and physically soft.”

One freshman that has paid his dues from behind the scenes and earned his way on the field has been RB Cam Davis. After starting the season buried at #5 on the RB depth chart, Davis slowly worked his way up and ended up second on the team in carries last week in the win vs. VT, finishing with 7 totes for 77 yards and 2 total TD’s.

“It’s been awesome. Another young guy that kind of came in with high expectations, wanting to come in and play from Day 1,” Brown said of Davis. “And he did play for us, in spurts, played on special teams. But the fact that he has been able to develop into an all-around tailback, I can trust him in every scenario – first, second or third down, and know that he’s going to get the job done – it has been huge for us.”

Heading into the season finale at 6-5 and out of the Coastal Division race, Brown admits that this season has been a disappointment considering the lofty expectations that followed UM into 2018.

"I think we definitely unperformed a lot this year," Brown said. '"We played some young guys at different spots that will be great for us in the future. We're going to move forward with the guys that are committed to this program and continue to recruit guys that will help us win football games, coach these guys up and get better in every aspect and bring Miami to what Miami should be."

Brown says the team is still looking to develop more leaders from within and believes the coaches can only do so much.

“Like I’ve said from Day 1 when we got here, I think we set the tone as coaches, as far as [from] a leadership standpoint,” Brown said. “In order for us to be a great football team, a championship football team, we have to be led from within. The more veteran guys – even some younger guys who have a lot of experience, even maybe some sophomore guys who have played well for us – that can step up and be vocal leaders, the better off we’ll be.”

Does the Pitt game hold any extra significance to him considering the Panthers ruined UM’s perfect season last year?

“More importantly, in my opinion, it’s Senior Day. It’s a chance to honor our guys the last game in their home stadium,” Brown said. “I’ve been there before as a player. I know how special it was to be able to go out with a victory my senior season, so I’m committed to coaching my butt off for those guys and for the rest of our football team and get a win. Last year is last year. People still have some emotions about what happened last year, but it’s a brand new team for us and them. Brand new year.”

Advertisement
With almost 3 seasons completed with this staff and we are hearing this..... Consider me Concerned.....

"Brown says the team is still looking to develop more leaders from within and believes the coaches can only do so much."

Signed,

Peruche

Advertisement
"Process," "working butts off." This is undeniably Golden all over again. Brown and the rest of this clownshow coaching staff need to be dismissed. It's embarrasing to even see them in UM apparel. What an embarrassment this once proud program has become. 4 straight coaching failures. All we can hope for is that whoever the next one is will be the one to figure it out.

Cam “earned” his spot?!?!?!

Man if a domino effect of events didn’t take place we would never have seen him this year.
Cam was 4th on the depth chart
Lingard injured, now 3rd
Dallas fumbles, now 2nd
Homer nagging injuries, FINALLY PLAYS

Without ALL of those things happening we would have never seen Cam.

He’s trying to spin some false bull**** about hard work gets you on the field which is why the young guys are so **** mad. HARD WORK DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING TO THEM, the only way they play the young guys is if they absolutely have to.

Advertisement
We must learn to read between the lines ... see translation below:
"This year has been horse-****. We just need 4-5 headcrackers on both sides of the ball. As coaches we must look far and wide for
headcrackers. You can not quit on the team, especially for guys that have put in 4-5 years of blood, sweat and toil. Going forward, no
more pussies on this team."

We must learn to read between the lines ... see translation below:
"This year has been horse-****. We just need 4-5 headcrackers on both sides of the ball. As coaches we must look far and wide for
headcrackers. You can not quit on the team, especially for guys that have put in 4-5 years of blood, sweat and toil. Going forward, no
more pussies on this team."

Interesting interpretation. Here's my interpretation of Brown's comments:

"Deflect blame, excuses, deflect blame, players fault, not my fault."

Advertisement
Advertisement
Cam “earned” his spot?!?!?!

Man if a domino effect of events didn’t take place we would never have seen him this year.
Cam was 4th on the depth chart
Lingard injured, now 3rd
Dallas fumbles, now 2nd
Homer nagging injuries, FINALLY PLAYS

Without ALL of those things happening we would have never seen Cam.

He’s trying to spin some false bull**** about hard work gets you on the field which is why the young guys are so **** mad. HARD WORK DOESN’T MEAN ANYTHING TO THEM, the only way they play the young guys is if they absolutely have to.

Listen, everybody cant be the starter coming in plain and simple. Who cares how many things had to happen for cam to get an opportunity, the main thing is and more importantly he was ready when his number was called.

Would mcgahee have had the junior year he had if frank gore didnt get hurt, **** no, he would've had to wait til the next year. And prior to that year he was lining up at fullback alot.

The offensive guys have been soft mentally, coach brown knows exactly what he's talking about. Next year's o-line already understand what the standard is going to be, power running, so get with gus and get ready, we on our way.

And im sure they telling the commits and recruits now, we only looking for the mentally tuff, and those are the same type of guys that came to UM during the butch years, wasnt no winning going on, but they said in their minds we gone be winners, by the time they became juniors and seniors, they were winning and winning big, the building continues, either transfer or work, football is the ultimate team sport, one man doesnt make the whole team, jeff leaving opens up more playing time, we appreciate the plays he made but he made a mistake and quit on his brother's.

I'd rather have more travis homer's, deejay dallas, brevin jordan, the whole defense mindset, cause that's how you become champions.

“We have to do a good job as coaches of bringing in guys that are talented enough for this program but also love Miami and are tough individuals. "

Like the offensive line the last several years?

Advertisement
Back