Broaden Recruiting Scope

I think you can and should recruit South Florida hardest year in and year out without relying or focusing just on the highly-touted 5-star locals. Every year we wring our hands and compile our mythical what-if list - "imagine the team we'd have if X, Y, and Z stayed home." That list certainly includes your Josh Jobes and your Jerry Jeudys, but it also includes your Skai Moores and countless others. The talent pool is so deep and diverse here that proper and thorough evaluation becomes just as vital as simply trying to pry that 5* WR away from Ohio State because he "should" want to stay home. It's about getting the right guys for our system, winning games with those guys, and THEN you'll start seeing the Jeudys and the Nick Bosas et al start considering the hometown team again.

Advertisement
I really don’t understand why anybody in this thread has a problem with OPs thoughts. Have you seen all of the local talent running out of town for the past 15 years? The true local Canes will commit early and never waiver. You if course stay on it with the rest of the top local talent but if they’re playing games and dragging things out, it likely means they’re not coming as we’ve seen over and over. So, you definitely expand recruiting nationally especially when the OOS kids seem to have more love and respect for the U than the locals.

This is not news. Every coach has been recruiting S. Fl "hard." Sony Michel went to go play for Richt. Al Golden lost out to freaking Arkansas? Randy Shannon tried and failed in his last two years.

I didn't mean to suggest to now, suddenly, recruit SoFla hard like its a revelation.

I meant it as part 1 of a 2 part strategy. Emphasis on the second part being a tactical focus on a few select areas.

Chicago is highly picked over by Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Nebraska, Iowa, Wisconsin. Chicago is not an area we ahould spend time, imo.

Keep in mind, NSD happens during the coldest time of year. We have something to offer those other schools can't.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back