Bringing up another issue - The ACC

OptimusCreampie

Inner city recruiter
There a million Corch Richt threads right now but I want to look at what’s been a thorn in our side a long time.

Things aside, we put an awful product on the field against uva there’s no denying or excusing that but still after all these years just something irks me about these acc refs, I really do consider my self a reasonable fan and don’t think of myself as an avid conspiracy theorist. With the recent schit I’ve been seeing with pac 12 refs it really has me wondering....

In every level of football I have never seen a team get bent over by the refs so blatantly. The lack of holding calls against our defensive line and wide receivers is mind boggling. Off the top of my head from last game the Hayden Mahoney hold, that unreviewable backwards pass fumble by uva and worst of all that targeting call against Michael Jackson actually made me physically sick. It’s like ******* Buffalo Wild Wings called in the play for the acc refs. Even at home do you guys see any cfb, nfl team just get hosed by their own refs?

As much as I hate Notre Dame, I think they have it right and somehow managed a sweet deal with the acc to have every sport in their conference except football. Even with the pollings, the past 10 years I’ve never seen a more fraudulent team then Notre Dame get so much love and partly I think that’s due to scheduling. I’d just really wish Miami would switch back to being independent really.

I don’t know I’m just rambling I know it’s not fair to to blame our failures on a conference, I just feel like we’ve been scheisted since joining the acc and to be honest don’t really see us leaving. What are your guy’s thoughts?

Advertisement
I almost don't even think about calls anymore, it hasn't and won't change. It's part of the game we have to play through. The refs in ACC are going to protect the old schools. Bottom line, play better and make the officials a moot point.

There a million Corch Richt threads right now but I want to look at what’s been a thorn in our side a long time.

Things aside, we put an awful product on the field against uva there’s no denying or excusing that but still after all these years just something irks me about these acc refs, I really do consider my self a reasonable fan and don’t think of myself as an avid conspiracy theorist. With the recent schit I’ve been seeing with pac 12 refs it really has me wondering....

In every level of football I have never seen a team get bent over by the refs so blatantly. The lack of holding calls against our defensive line and wide receivers is mind boggling. Off the top of my head from last game the Hayden Mahoney hold, that unreviewable backwards pass fumble by uva and worst of all that targeting call against Michael Jackson actually made me physically sick. It’s like ******* Buffalo Wild Wings called in the play for the acc refs. Even at home do you guys see any cfb, nfl team just get hosed by their own refs?

As much as I hate Notre Dame, I think they have it right and somehow managed a sweet deal with the acc to have every sport in their conference except football. Even with the pollings, the past 10 years I’ve never seen a more fraudulent team then Notre Dame get so much love and partly I think that’s due to scheduling. I’d just really wish Miami would switch back to being independent really.

I don’t know I’m just rambling I know it’s not fair to to blame our failures on a conference, I just feel like we’ve been scheisted since joining the acc and to be honest don’t really see us leaving. What are your guy’s thoughts?

Fair points. Mahoney's holding was pretty bad, the defender slipped and he let go. That negated a big play and may have gotten Perry into a rhythm (I know highly unlikely from what we saw after the fact). I honestly could have gone either way on Jackson's call, if they hadn't thrown the flag I was fine with it but since they did and the replays showed it he did crash into the guys helmet with his shoulder and that's just a play they aren't letting go anymore. Our DL gets held pretty much every other play and I don't see that changing.

Your point about going independent won't happen. We need the ACC money. We don't get enough like ND does to sustain a program, unfortunately.

Previously I've opined that Miami should bolt to the Big 12- all the logistics are feasible and what not- but Miami would probably get " screwed " by the Big 12 zebra's, too. But then again, may be not.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Previously I've opined that Miami should bolt to the Big 12- all the logistics are feasible and what not- but Miami would probably get the " screwed " by the Big 12 zebra's, too. But then again, may be not.

Big 12 would never allow it. We play defense and have a pathetic offense. I think the Big 12 charter requires it to be the other way around. Better to change to the AAC, which is basically the Big East 2.0. ACC is just too tough with powerhouses like UVA and Pitt. Bonus is it would set up a new in state rivalry with upstart UCF.

Last edited:
Fair points. Mahoney's holding was pretty bad, the defender slipped and he let go. That negated a big play and may have gotten Perry into a rhythm (I know highly unlikely from what we saw after the fact). I honestly could have gone either way on Jackson's call, if they hadn't thrown the flag I was fine with it but since they did and the replays showed it he did crash into the guys helmet with his shoulder and that's just a play they aren't letting go anymore. Our DL gets held pretty much every other play and I don't see that changing.

Your point about going independent won't happen. We need the ACC money. We don't get enough like ND does to sustain a program, unfortunately.

Just FYI. every offensive line holds - that is part of the game. The important thing is not to get caught. Now when you have a really aggressive, mean d-line like we have, teams are going to aggressively hold and take their chances. If they don't their QB will be carried out on a stretcher. Now how often the refs call it is a conference by conference/crew by crew call. I pretty sure they are only going to call it when its really egregious holding, but then again (aka: last years Orange Bowl) sometimes they even let the egregious stuff pass. As mentioned above, never leave the game in the hands of the zebras - they will f-you each and every time.

Yeah sadly it boils down to a money thing, like I said I don’t want to blame all our woes on officiating but I just feel for our players sometimes

Canes historically have more calls than the opposing team. This has happened a lot of years.. Our NC teams jokes about it and won in spite of it. I contribute some of it to high school ball in South FL.us a lot more aggressive than most of the country. Some of it is because of the image the Canes have. Either love or hate and not much inbetween. I also do not think it is as bad as was mid 80,s and early 90,s

Advertisement
Big 12 would never allow it. We play defense and have a pathetic offense. I think the Big 12 charter requires it to be the other way around. Better to change to the AAC, which is basically the Big East 2.0. ACC is just too tough with powerhouses like UVA and Pitt. Bonus is it would set up a new in state rivalry with upstart UCF.
The only thing I like about the aac is the officiating seems normal ... but in all honesty they don’t have the competition or the money of the acc

Losers blame the refs.

"You can't leave it in the officials hands"

-Jimmy Johnson

Cotton Bowl Canes vs Texas going into halftime the refs stop Ericson and warned him about penalties , Ericsons reply " THIS GAME IS ALREADY WON" turned and ran off to locker room.

200 plus yards in Cane penalties never played a part in the win.

YES tcgrad I concur

GOCANES

It's bad. Seriously, are we going to have a player tossed for targeting every single week on a dubious call? It seems like it. And then there are the personal fouls and unsportsmanlike penalties......doesn't it seem as if the refs call those at the absolute worst possible times every single game?

Advertisement
I like the ACC, good money, easy opponents W2W.
We are just making it look hard..

Advertisement
Back