Brian Balom Appreciation Thread

Goulds Cane

Senior
I was not very excited about his recruitment. His film didn't really impress me, he had good testing numbers but his track times were abysmal, and I judge DBs by their track times. Our only real competition for him was Louisville, who recruit every kid in South Florida that has muscles & looks mean. The staff saw him at Paradise, where he apparently put on a clinic, but at the time in 2019 I didn't trust the staff's talent evaluation skills.

Boy was I wrong! In the sample size we saw in 2020 he was very impressive. There's a difference between an athlete & a football player, and he showed that he was the latter. He showed great skills in coverage & could step up in run support. I am very excited about his future in our program & won't be surprised at all if he finds himself taking snaps from Bubba/Hall/Carter in 2021. This is a Brian Balom appreciation thread.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I agree . Hes got that dog in him. Im expecting big things from him.
fail doggy style GIF

Advertisement
I was not very excited about his recruitment. His film didn't really impress me, he had good testing numbers but his track times were abysmal, and I judge DBs by their track times. Our only real competition for him was Louisville, who recruit every kid in South Florida that has muscles & looks mean. The staff saw him at Paradise, where he apparently put on a clinic, but at the time in 2019 I didn't trust the staff's talent evaluation skills.

Boy was I wrong! In the sample size we saw in 2020 he was very impressive. There's a difference between an athlete & a football player, and he showed that he was the latter. He showed great skills in coverage & could step up in run support. I am very excited about his future in our program & won't be surprised at all if he finds himself taking snaps from Bubba/Hall/Carter in 2021. This is a Brian Balom appreciation thread.
Seth Meyers Lol GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Advertisement
Advertisement
I hope Balom balls out. We have three guys leaving after 2021. Both safety positions are up for grabs across Balom, A Williams, J Williams, Harrell, Kinchens and Washington. 6 guys for 2 spots in 2022. Competition is going to be intense.

A word of advice from a former CB, NEVER judge a DB by track times... It’s the most deceiving metric by which to judge a Defensive back whether at Corner or Safety.

Speed is a good/great tool to have for a DB & is definitely necessary, but it is not the barometer by which you accurately eval a Secondary Defender.

IQ, technique, physicality & overall toughness are all just as, if not more important than pure speed.

DeMarcus Van Dyke is arguably one of the fastest players ever in school history, he’s not even in the top 25 best corners in school history though, no disrespect to him because that’s my dawg, but being 100% honest he was okay at best as a player here...

I say all that to say, for future references when evaling a DB pay attention to the intangibles just as much as the tangibles, especially for Safety, speed is even less important at Safety than it is at CB because they’re coming downhill most of the time & don’t have to have elite speed on the backend to cleanup plays. It does obviously help a great deal in coverage when a S has good speed, but you can field a top tier secondary with dudes running 4.6/4.7’s back there if they’re in the right position & reading their keys properly.

A word of advice from a former CB, NEVER judge a DB by track times... It’s the most deceiving metric by which to judge a Defensive back whether at Corner or Safety.

Speed is a good/great tool to have for a DB & is definitely necessary, but it is not the barometer by which you accurately eval a Secondary Defender.

IQ, technique, physicality & overall toughness are all just as, if not more important than pure speed.

DeMarcus Van Dyke is arguably one of the fastest players ever in school history, he’s not even in the top 25 best corners in school history though, no disrespect to him because that’s my dawg, but being 100% honest he was okay at best as a player here...

I say all that to say, for future references when evaling a DB pay attention to the intangibles just as much as the tangibles, especially for Safety, speed is even less important at Safety than it is at CB because they’re coming downhill most of the time & don’t have to have elite speed on the backend to cleanup plays. It does obviously help a great deal in coverage when a S has good speed, but you can field a top tier secondary with dudes running 4.6/4.7’s back there if they’re in the right position & reading their keys properly.
Devil's advocate, is it possible to stop Bama's passing attack when your starting corners run 4.6s?

Advertisement
Back