Brevin

Advertisement
Advertisement
I’m usually the guy who supports coming back to school and improving your draft stock unless you’re a lock for the first two rounds but honestly, I don’t think returning to school would have made much of a difference. He wasn’t going to get two inches taller. Even if he had a completely injury free year, it wouldn’t erase the three prior injury riddled years. He’s already produced on the field for three seasons, not sure what else he was going to be able to show scouts in that aspect.

Advertisement
I’m usually the guy who supports coming back to school and improving your draft stock unless you’re a lock for the first two rounds but honestly, I don’t think returning to school would have made much of a difference. He wasn’t going to get two inches taller. Even if he had a completely injury free year, it wouldn’t erase the three prior injury riddled years. He’s already produced on the field for three seasons, not sure what else he was going to be able to show scouts in that aspect.
Have you looked at the TE class this year? Also IF he had an injury free year and could show he could stay healthy, make some contested catches, more hand catches etc. all knocks on him and if this years class is a down year for TE I do think he could have snuck in a round or two higher but you are right with his measurables and athletic ability I did not see R1 and 2 would be a stretch, so we are talking coming back for the chance of a round or two higher and I could only find 2019 data but these were the guaranteed #s:

2019 NFL Draft Analysis – Average Guaranteed Dollars by Round
1st Round – $16,939,370
2nd Round – $3,786853
3rd Round – $946,211
4th Round – $692,925
5th Round – $301,369
6th Round – $161,745
7th Round – $88,795

So a round or two would change a couple hundred k and he was selected behind Pitts (6'6 240), Frieremuth ( PSU 6'5 260), Hunter Long (BC 6'5 253) , Tommy Tremble (ND 6'4 250), Tre Mckitty (UGA 6'5 245), John Bates (Boise 6'6 256), Kylen Granson (SMU 6'3 235), Jacob Harris ( UCF 6'5 211), Luke Ferrall ( 6'6 258)

Obviously some much much bigger guys that may be more "blockers" but there are some smaller ones and to drop almost out of the top 10 was surprising to me.

Have you looked at the TE class this year? Also IF he had an injury free year and could show he could stay healthy, make some contested catches, more hand catches etc. all knocks on him and if this years class is a down year for TE I do think he could have snuck in a round or two higher but you are right with his measurables and athletic ability I did not see R1 and 2 would be a stretch, so we are talking coming back for the chance of a round or two higher and I could only find 2019 data but these were the guaranteed #s:

1st Round – $16,939,370
2nd Round – $3,786853
3rd Round – $946,211
4th Round – $692,925
5th Round – $301,369
6th Round – $161,745
7th Round – $88,795

So a round or two would change a couple hundred k and he was selected behind Pitts (6'6 240), Frieremuth ( PSU 6'5 260), Hunter Long (BC 6'5 253) , Tommy Tremble (ND 6'4 250), Tre Mckitty (UGA 6'5 245), John Bates (Boise 6'6 256), Kylen Granson (SMU 6'3 235), Jacob Harris ( UCF 6'5 211), Luke Ferrall ( 6'6 258)

Obviously some much much bigger guys that may be more "blockers" but there are some smaller ones and to drop almost out of the top 10 was surprising to me.
One healthy year isn’t going to erase three years of injuries. He’s got the “injury prone” tag. Also, assuming he can have an injury free season is a big assumption. His game is what it is. He’s not going to transform into Gronk, catching contested jump balls down the seam. And he’s definitely not going to grow an extra two inches. The reasons he fell to the fifth round aren’t things he can change. Maybe if next year’s tight end class is weaker, he could jump up a round but he’s not going to play himself into a much higher draft pick.

Advertisement

1st Round – $16,939,370
2nd Round – $3,786853
3rd Round – $946,211
4th Round – $692,925
5th Round – $301,369
6th Round – $161,745
7th Round – $88,795

Had there been an actual combine he likely goes a bit higher.

Im still confused to how the **** they picked Mckitty and Granson before him...The osu te only went before him because Urban coached him...

One healthy year isn’t going to erase three years of injuries. He’s got the “injury prone” tag. Also, assuming he can have an injury free season is a big assumption. His game is what it is. He’s not going to transform into Gronk, catching contested jump balls down the seam. And he’s definitely not going to grow an extra two inches. The reasons he fell to the fifth round aren’t things he can change. Maybe if next year’s tight end class is weaker, he could jump up a round but he’s not going to play himself into a much higher draft pick.
I agree with all that. And like gogeta said maybe if there is a combine he shows out a little more which could have had some play. I also get he had the injury prone tag which can drop your stock, see gronk for example but the nfl is sometimes reactionary and recent and if (I know a huge if) he lights it up for a full season he may get a reactionary bite from a team.

Advertisement
Back