Brett Venables Talks Miami Offense today

Advertisement
Summary:

On if there are similarities in what Miami offensive coordinator Rhett Lashlee does now compared to when Clemson faced him in 2016 vs. Auburn:

"They do a great job with how they structure things. Give you a bunch of great looks. Systematically, they really thrive on the quarterback and the running game. He goes a great job with their presentation and using the playmakers the right way. He's been around great people that have influenced him. Some things are the same while some have continued to evolve.

"The tight ends at Miami are really, really good. Good skill at receiver and running back. Goes without saying their quarterback is a good player. He can throw the ball really, really well consistently. Poise, accuracy, big arm. Very instinctual. Quick release. He's like a running back when he decides to run it. They are utilizing their skill set the right way.

"But it starts with their run game. They have explosive players, whether it's the guy receiving the snap, the guys he's handing off to, or the RPO guys-- some of the most dynamic skill personnel in all of college football. It rivals anybody."

— On Miami's dual-threat quarterback, RPOs, zone-read, tempo, personnel groupings this season compared to a more "conventional" Miami of 2017:

"I mean they were more probably traditional spread. Their quarterback was a good athlete. Now they put you in conflict, which is good stuff. Sometimes it's not fun to be in the middle of the conflict. But it's fun to strategize for your players and get them to understand what the stresses are and what the strategy is behind it defensively. It's enjoyable when you defend it well. Not so well when you're on the wrong end of it. They make it tough on you for sure. Offensive schemes like this... and they have the skill to make it even more difficult, which lessens the margin for error. From a challenge standpoint, it makes it a lot more fun when you have success against it too."

— On Miami tight ends Brevin Jordan and Will Mallory:

"No doubt, it's the best tandem I've coached against for sure. They're athletic like the Alabama tight ends we've faced before, the Notre Dame tight ends.

"Brevin is super athletic out in space, coming out of the backfield. The catch-and-run with both tight ends is pretty unique. Their ability to get open. Have great instincts, toughness, size. Great catch radius and lateral movement. They like all of it. They are very well-rounded tight ends. They are not just flex guys. They can get in-line and block you well and they can block in the screen game and they can go vertical and win against anybody. They can get into 11, 12 sets and four-wide too. They give them a lot of versatility in different spots."

Advertisement
What makes me smile is I am sure there are many looks, plays and formations Lashlee has been saving right for this very moment.

I cannot wait to see what is unleashed.
It’s not so much that but the fact that we didn’t have a spring and limited practice made it so that was he case without lash even really having to hold back

It’s not so much that but the fact that we didn’t have a spring and limited practice made it so that was he case without lash even really having to hold back
Could be a combination of the two. But that is besides the main point.

We have had two weeks to prepare and install and adjust the offense from previous games. So Venables may see many things he may not be prepared for at all.

He is very good at making adjustments and his team is talented but if we jump out on them early I think that may be the difference.

Last edited:
Advertisement
What makes me smile is I am sure there are many looks, plays and formations Lashlee has been saving right for this very moment.

I cannot wait to see what is unleashed.
Gets me excited. I know our OC has things in the bag just waiting to unleash, esp. in our scripted plays. If we play sound and disciplined on offense in our first few possessions and get 6, expect us to win because Lashlee WON'T let up. This is a much as a statement game (and season) for him as it is for the rest of the team and staff. Its gonna be a good one. Because eff Clempson, but Venables is a good coach.

Advertisement
Lurk.gif

Venables looks like this guy. Same face he'll be making while watching King, Cam, Rooster and Don run all over his D

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back