Breaking: NCAA dropping at least part of Wright's testimony

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 11m

AP has learned that NCAA will drop at least some of Kyle Wright's testimony from case against Miami. A clear victory for the Hurricanes.

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 8m

Let's be real clear here: The NCAA still thinks it will win. That hasn't changed.

Tim Reynolds ‏@ByTimReynolds 7m

It may be all. It's largely TBA at this point. RT @abs_da_don: Some ?? why not all.

Advertisement
Why does the NCAA feel the need to "win". WTF does it mean to win? To do what it takes to convict? The NCAA should attempt to regulate, not "win". Miami admitted wrongdoing, most (all but barrow by my count, but I'm sure I miss some parts of the program I have no idea about) are not with the university anymore. Less than $200,000 was the last total I heard. Reggie Bush's parents were given a $650,000 house. They totally "screwed up" the Cam Newton investigation. Why was that inquiry so short? To what end does Miami have to suffer? 3 post-season games should suffice.
The NCAA, instead of attempting any form of justice, feels as though they must make an example of Miami. what a joke. how about they investigate schools like west Virginia or LSU, the one's who admit athletes who have no business in a four year institution. How do those kids make it through 4 years of school and obtain a degree? Look into that

Why does the NCAA feel the need to "win". WTF does it mean to win? To do what it takes to convict? The NCAA should attempt to regulate, not "win". Miami admitted wrongdoing, most (all but barrow by my count, but I'm sure I miss some parts of the program I have no idea about) are not with the university anymore. Less than $200,000 was the last total I heard. Reggie Bush's parents were given a $650,000 house. They totally "screwed up" the Cam Newton investigation. Why was that inquiry so short? To what end does Miami have to suffer? 3 post-season games should suffice.
The NCAA, instead of attempting any form of justice, feels as though they must make an example of Miami. what a joke. how about they investigate schools like west Virginia or LSU, the one's who admit athletes who have no business in a four year institution. How do those kids make it through 4 years of school and obtain a degree? Look into that

Because, if they don't...heads are rolling...its their ***. Or if they still decide to give Miami the ol 1-2, and Miami decides to take this clown show to court and the NCAA loses, the structure and power of the organization is changed forever.

They are seemingly going all-in on this one.

Advertisement
I think the NCAA will find a way to save face while meeting in the middle with UM. I don't think the case gets dropped, but I do think it gets wrapped up before the season. We probably get little to no more penalties, other than a show cause for Hurtt.

This is good news. The decision is from enforcement, not the coi. They are trying to save whatever is left of their case. The less that gets in front of the coi, the better our self imposed penalties look.

If coi doesn't buy the loic we probably don't get anymore penalties.

IMO it's simple, if Miami gets hit with any more penalties they,Miami, balk and go to court. I can't see them doing all they've done at this point then just taking whatever infractions the NCAA hands down.

Advertisement
IMO it's simple, if Miami gets hit with any more penalties they,Miami, balk and go to court. I can't see them doing all they've done at this point then just taking whatever infractions the NCAA hands down.

I think the line in the sand is the LOIC issue. If the ncaa scoundrels insist on making that stick, then UM will sue them. I have a feeling UM will accept a Failure to Monitor rap and move on.

Good post. It's this "need to win" and desire to be "creative" to make cases stick that has made the ncaa an untenable rogue organization. Those should not be the goals of a body attempting to govern college athletics. When an individual or organizations loses sight of its purpose and goals they become useless.

I think if we all go to the NCAA Store and buy a bag full of T shirts and other team paraphernalia this whole thing will go away!!!!
It's all about who is entitled to make money on today's student athletes after all.

They would like some way to be the agent for the student athletes moving to the professional ranks where they now lose control of their assets. It must kill them not being able to profit from being the farm system for the NFL, NBA, etc...

Last edited:
I think the NCAA should start a contract with each individual player, coach, and assumed booster letting them know what “improper benefits” are and if that person chooses to break them then legal action can be taken against them. Punishing teams like Ohio state, Penn state, and now Miami for thing other people that was there and is now GONE is ridiculous and THEY WILL NEVER WIN period

Advertisement
As much as this is good news, it is bad news because it shows that the NCAA has no intent to drop the case in whole. At this point, I am imagining something along the lines of a minimal scholarship reduction - something token so that the NCAA can save face as much as possible while not imposing serious enough sanctions to warrant legal or other action from Miami's part. To appear like they are "coming down" on somebody, they may go after guys like Haith and Hurtt, who, unlike the University, have self-imposed nothing yet were part of the problem.

As much as this is good news, it is bad news because it shows that the NCAA has no intent to drop the case in whole. At this point, I am imagining something along the lines of a minimal scholarship reduction - something token so that the NCAA can save face as much as possible while not imposing serious enough sanctions to warrant legal or other action from Miami's part. To appear like they are "coming down" on somebody, they may go after guys like Haith and Hurtt, who, unlike the University, have self-imposed nothing yet were part of the problem.

Keep in mind that the Committee on Infractions (COI) ultimately will determine whether to drop the case or not; this maneuver to drop the Wright testimony comes from the Enforcement division. The COI hasn't yet made their determination; UM's motion to dismiss has only been in their hands for about 2 weeks.

I'd think that the COI will give serious consideration to dropping this thing, given that the Enforcement division has dropped much of the original charges and continues to amend its case against UM.

Because, if they don't...heads are rolling...its their ***. Or if they still decide to give Miami the ol 1-2, and Miami decides to take this clown show to court and the NCAA loses, the structure and power of the organization is changed forever.

They are seemingly going all-in on this one.

The NCAA already lost, they can only soften the blow at this point. The whole organization is a mess and they can either start fixing things or go down with the ship.

Advertisement
Where is Charles Robinson now? This is almost a none issue without that hack.

Really they have a very limited case which we have paid enough for already. Donna will murder them if they try to give us more. Their best strategy would be to say time served and drop it but they aren't smart enough to do it. They think they have to nail is because the bs article by Robinson. Could be the death if the NCAA if they try to push it

THe problem with going after individuals is that, they will most likely sue... once it gets to court, NCAA is in big trouble.

Where is Charles Robinson now? This is almost a none issue without that hack.

Really they have a very limited case which we have paid enough for already. Donna will murder them if they try to give us more. Their best strategy would be to say time served and drop it but they aren't smart enough to do it. They think they have to nail is because the bs article by Robinson. Could be the death if the NCAA if they try to push it

you're right. nothing would have come of this if it wasn't for Robinson. **** that guy. i hope he rots

Advertisement
Back