Brashard Smith: The "Swiss Army Knife" of the Miami Hurricanes

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
1698236865642.png

Miami’s Brashard Smith has been a breakout star on the offensive side of the ball this season with some electrifying performances. As offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson continues to scheme different ways to get him the football, Smith's unique ability to play multiple roles was on full display during Saturday's game.

"It's good to be versatile," Smith commented. Fondly referred to as the 'Swiss Army Knife' by some of his teammates, he made it clear that he loves playing the multifaceted role. "I mean I love it. Anything really just to get the ball... I feel like I'm a playmaker," he confidently stated.

While Smith's performance on the field speaks volumes about his skill set, his explosive 80-yard run over the weekend captured significant attention. The athlete acknowledged the magnitude of the play, especially with the unexpected twist towards the end. "It was a pretty good run, but I know ball security is first. JG [Jacolby George] did an awesome job running down and showing effort," Smith reflected, grateful for the backup. "He really saved the day for me."

Brashard was also full of praise for his teammate, Emory Williams, who was thrown into the spotlight unexpectedly. Williams displayed remarkable composure, earning accolades from Smith. "He was composed... he always practices like a starter, so I wasn't really worried," said Smith.

Comparisons with Tyreek Hill, the NFL's speedster, aren't new to Smith. "During practice, the coaches always say stuff like that," he acknowledged. His game-breaking speed and agility are traits that make such comparisons inevitable. However, Smith focuses on his growth and skills. Reflecting on his third season, he highlighted his increased confidence and a better understanding of defensive coverages as key developments.

While Smith's prowess on the field is undeniable, his enthusiasm shines bright when discussing kick returns. "I feel like Kick return is... a lot of room to score a touchdown," he shared excitedly, recalling one of his memorable touchdowns this season against Texas A&M.

Coach Mario Cristobal’s feedback and support have been crucial in shaping Smith's game. Always pushing him to focus and persevere, Smith is grateful. "He knows that if I drop a pass or something, I'll be down on myself... he always picks me up," Smith said.

On a parting note, Smith's dedication to the team is evident in his willingness to take on any role, including playing as a running back if it means benefiting the team. He reminisced about his high school days, where he played the role and found it easier. Coach Dawson's influence in opening up the offense and using players in diverse ways was also praised by Smith.

Advertisement
It's nice to see him being used in a variety of ways. There was a lot of talk in the preseason about younger guys coming in and taking snaps from him but he's produced on offense and special teams and deserves more chances.

both Smith & George deserve to get more touches, think Dawson can scheme to get them in space the look out......

Advertisement
It's nice to see him being used in a variety of ways. There was a lot of talk in the preseason about younger guys coming in and taking snaps from him but he's produced on offense and special teams and deserves more chances.
Player development! It's a beautiful thing. It's so gratifying to see Smith as well as George really start to flourish in Dawson's offense. I've been a huge fan of both since they arrived. I remember some goofball on this site trying to convince everyone that Smith was not explosive and that his big play vs Virginia Tech in 2021 was because the Hokie DBs were slow. I guess the ATM special teams and the Clemson defense were slow as well. LOL

The growth I've seen from this young man has been a pleasure to behold. That TD catch vs UNC was a gorgeous play. The KR TD vs ATM was clutch and the 80 yard run vs Clemson was electrifying. However the nearly shoestring grab of that bubble screen from Emory in OT was a huge play. I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch more but I've made my point. It's going to be exciting to watch him through the remaining 5+ games!

Last edited:
View attachment 262839

Miami’s Brashard Smith has been a breakout star on the offensive side of the ball this season with some electrifying performances. As offensive coordinator Shannon Dawson continues to scheme different ways to get him the football, Smith's unique ability to play multiple roles was on full display during Saturday's game.

"It's good to be versatile," Smith commented. Fondly referred to as the 'Swiss Army Knife' by some of his teammates, he made it clear that he loves playing the multifaceted role. "I mean I love it. Anything really just to get the ball... I feel like I'm a playmaker," he confidently stated.

While Smith's performance on the field speaks volumes about his skill set, his explosive 80-yard run over the weekend captured significant attention. The athlete acknowledged the magnitude of the play, especially with the unexpected twist towards the end. "It was a pretty good run, but I know ball security is first. JG [Jacolby George] did an awesome job running down and showing effort," Smith reflected, grateful for the backup. "He really saved the day for me."

Brashard was also full of praise for his teammate, Emory Williams, who was thrown into the spotlight unexpectedly. Williams displayed remarkable composure, earning accolades from Smith. "He was composed... he always practices like a starter, so I wasn't really worried," said Smith.

Comparisons with Tyreek Hill, the NFL's speedster, aren't new to Smith. "During practice, the coaches always say stuff like that," he acknowledged. His game-breaking speed and agility are traits that make such comparisons inevitable. However, Smith focuses on his growth and skills. Reflecting on his third season, he highlighted his increased confidence and a better understanding of defensive coverages as key developments.

While Smith's prowess on the field is undeniable, his enthusiasm shines bright when discussing kick returns. "I feel like Kick return is... a lot of room to score a touchdown," he shared excitedly, recalling one of his memorable touchdowns this season against Texas A&M.

Coach Mario Cristobal’s feedback and support have been crucial in shaping Smith's game. Always pushing him to focus and persevere, Smith is grateful. "He knows that if I drop a pass or something, I'll be down on myself... he always picks me up," Smith said.

On a parting note, Smith's dedication to the team is evident in his willingness to take on any role, including playing as a running back if it means benefiting the team. He reminisced about his high school days, where he played the role and found it easier. Coach Dawson's influence in opening up the offense and using players in diverse ways was also praised by Smith.
Coming out of HS I always envisioned him being similar to Kadarius Toney. Use him every way possible.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back