Brashard Smith Commits!!!!

Advertisement
High praise in my book. That would be a home run.
Definitely, and any high school student being compared to an NFL 1st round pick is a little ridiculous. But just going by size, playing style and what appeared to be similarities in speed and position, it’s the closest Miami comp I’ve seen for Williams.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Miami's surge in recruiting in recruiting since the end of April is only surpassed nationally by Alabama.

Since the end of AprilMiami has received commitments from the following players (I'm using these rankings from 247):

-4/22: 3-star DT Alan Haye (FL)
-4/25: 3-star ATH Malik Curtis (FL)
-4/27: 3-star center Ryan Rodriguez (FL)
-5/3: 4-star TE Elijah Arroyo (TX)
-5/27: 3-star ILB Deshawn Troutman (FL)
-6/3: 4-star WR Jacolby George (FL)
-6/13: 4-star WR Romelo Brinson (FL)
-7/11: 4-star S Kamren Kinchens (FL)
-7/17: 4-star DE Jabari Ishmael (FL)
-7/21: 5-star S James Williams (FL)
-7/26: 3-star WR Brashard Smith (FL)
-7/27: 3-star DE Thomas Davis (GA)

In the span of 4 months from April through July, Miami has landed 12 commitments. Of those 12 commitments, half of them are 4 and 5-star prospects (five 4-stars and one 5-star). Additionally, of those 12 commitments, 10 of them are from the state of Florida. To go even deeper into geography, of Miami's 21 commitments overall, 19 of them are from the state of Florida. I'm not from FL and have only been in the state to visit Disney, but, from everything I've read Miami is doing exceedingly well at recruiting locally, landing 5 commitments from Northwestern, 2 from Columbus, and 2 from Palmetto, with Leonard Taylor and Jason Marshall still undecided, but Miami is in the finalists for both. Miami also has 3 commitments from Chaminade Madonna Prep in Hollywood.

To say Miami is crushing this recruiting cycle would be an understatement, and to go back even further, Miami has been on a recruiting tear since winter of 2019. Miami had a truly awful 2019 on the field going 6-7 with downright embarrassing losses to Duke, Georgia Tech, FIU and La Tech. The offense looked completely incompetent, and was unappealing to both recruits and fans. Following the season, Miami fired their first year OC and OL coach, the WR coach left for Penn State, and the freshman starting QB entered the transfer portal. Despite all of this, Miami secured the following wins in recruiting:

-11/28/19: 4-star RB Jaylan Knighton
-11/29/19: 4-star S Jalen Harrell
-12/13/19: 3-star WR Xavier Restrepo
-12/1819: 3-star S Keyshawn Washington
-1/19/20: 4-star CB Isiah Dunson
-2/5/20: 4-star Avantae Williams

In addition to these commitments which occurred during and after a total abomination of a 2019 season, Miami won big in the transfer portal, landing commitments from the #1 available QB, DE, and K. Miami also landed a transfer from Isiaah Walker Jr, a 4-star OT from the 2019 recruiting class, and a OT from Houston.

What Manny Diaz and the entire coaching staff and recruiting department did to not only prevent the 2020 recruiting class from imploding, but actually finding ways to turn it into a respectable class with late commitments, winning huge in transfer portal, and then putting Miami into contention for a legitimate top #5 class in 2021 is nothing short of miraculous. This seems like Miami has completely turned the page in recruiting. Not only is Miami doing it during a pandemic, but they did it during a 6-7 season in which Miami lost it's starting QB to transfer and fired most of its offensive staff.

The overall recruiting Miami is doing right now is much more impressive than the #3 class Randy landed, and it blows away anything Golden or Richt did. Diaz and co have IMO accomplished this by changing the perception and brand of the program.

Advertisement
I said this already in KrazyCane's thread, but my comparison for Brashard is Stedman Bailey.

Same size, same speed, same play style, same running gait.

And if you forgot what he looked like on the field, go watch his highlights at West Va & tell me he doesn't play & even move exactly like Brashard.

Quick feet, great lateral movement & agility, explosive burst/acceleration in the open field & has very good hands.

And if he's anything like Bailey was at West Va he'll go down in the record books at Miami, because Bailey highly productive for them & thank God we finally switched to a modern uptempo offense that's tailor-made for a player of Brashard's skill set.

High praise. If I remember right, you were higher on Yulkieth. Who would you compare him to?

Advertisement
Darrell Nuke Jenkins.

**** good comp. Nuke had some yac ablity. Nuke in this type of offense woulda been scary.

I comped hm to Proche from SMU but i like the Nuke comp too. I dont see the Hill comps...he aint moving like that, but dude is just a weapon wth the ball in his hands.

With Brashard Smith and Restrepo last class are some KILLER SLOT WR'S...The Patriots would be salivating over those 2 in the slot.

Now next class we can go after some towers with size...i like these skills in this class. The scariest thing is i believe Curtis is a better wr than a corner...and ppl legitimately are sleeping on Jacolby George.

TD catch at the 50 second mark he runs over the db trying to tackle him. 🔥

Kick return for a TD at the 1:20 mark he breaks like 6 or 7 tackles on the way to the end zone. 🔥🔥

Very next play he makes a one handed catch right in front of a defender, runs thru the contact and scores a TD. 🔥🔥🔥

At the 3:20 mark it looks like he catches that TD with one hand in stride like it was easier to catch it that way smh ELITE!! 🔥🔥🔥

-1 handed catch in front of defender..the kid he runs through will be a 3-4 star recruit by his sr year already with multiple offers.

Play at 3:20- The DB he beats is heading to Iowa State this year.

@KrazyCane HE'S doing these things aganst power 5 players

-1 handed catch in front of defender..the kid he runs through will be a 3-4 star recruit by his sr year already with multiple offers.

Play at 3:20- The DB he beats is heading to Iowa State this year.

@KrazyCane HE'S doing these things aganst power 5 players

I think he’s going to have the kind of impact i was expecting from Jeff Thomas

Advertisement
Back