Brandon Wimbush 247 Update 2/26

Miami offered quarterback Brandon Wimbush after his freshman year, before he even was a member of the St. Peter’s Prep (N.J.) varsity team.

-He first visited Coral Gables as a freshman and was back a second time in June for the Al Golden Football Camp.
-Wimbush’s (6-2, 205) third trip occurred last week.
-says “The last time I was there, I wasn’t able to spend as much time with the staff as I would’ve liked,”
-says “The first time I was there, the facilities hadn’t been completed yet. They wanted me to come back and spend a personal day with them. That’s what I did and it was a good time overall.”
- soaked up his time with Al Golden where the message went beyond football.
-says “I had a meeting with Coach Golden in his office and we had an amazing conversation,” “We talked about my major and some personal stuff which is always great. It reminds me that coaches are looking for more than just a football player. He said the kids they get are very driven academically and they want to be successful in whatever they do. He made the point that Miami prepares you for life after football, whenever that time comes. They would provide opportunities that last much longer than four years.”
-James Coley sat down with Wimbush separately to give him a preview of what it’s like to play quarterback for the Hurricanes.
-says “I had a quarterback specific meeting with Coach Coley for about thirty minutes,” “He told me his expectations of their guys and what they need to be able to do. We went over reading different defenses and it opened my eyes to what college football is really about.”
-Wimbush knows he’s high on the priority list but at the same time, he’s not naïve either.
-says “They’ve told me I’m very high on their list, I remember them saying number one before,” “I understand they’re recruiting other great quarterbacks such as Torrance Gibson. He’s a heck of a player and they’re going after him very hard. I know they can’t just look at one guy but I feel good about where I stand. They said that if I make the decision, they would most likely cut off quarterback recruiting for 2015.”
-Miami’s facilities have taken plenty of heat over the years but the progress is beyond obvious in Wimbush’s eyes.
-says “It was top notch, Miami definitely did an awesome job with that,” “They made tremendous improvements from what they had before and everything looks so attractive. They’re showing everybody that the locker room and the weight room are as nice as what you see anywhere else.”
-The distance from home is the most obvious factor that differentiates Miami from some of Wimbush’s other top choices. He insisted it won’t matter though.
-says “It wouldn’t be that much of an adjustment because all of my family is actually down in West Palm Beach,” “It’s only an hour away and that’s one reason I’ve been able to take all these visits.”
- carries a grade of 93 from 247Sports, ranking him as the nation’s 7th best dual-threat quarterback and 4th overall prospect in the state of New Jersey.

Advertisement
If he committed they would still go after gibson for a fact

I doubt that, unless it was to bring in Gibson as a WR which ain't happening(kid wants to play QB).

We are taking a small class and after signing 2 QBs in last year's class, we will only take 1 for the 2015 class.

If we got an early commitment from Brandon Wimbush, I would be more than happy and would care less where Gibson went b/c he will not come here with or without Wimbush.

Both Gibson and Wimbush have said they want to be the only QB in their class, so it makes no difference.

Advertisement

Doesnt matter. If Wimbush commits, Gibson will be wearing OSU colors next season. And vice versa. I just hope we have a 3rd option in case we get neither.

Be a tough call for the staff. Gibson would be huge for recruiting, especially local, but they might honor their word--one of the irritating habits of this staff. I would think they would still pursue a pro style to go with Brandon. I thought I saw Gibson say he was going to decide late. Given our tract record, I say take the one that commits first. Both these guys can be great or both can bust-- that be QBs.

I doubt that, unless it was to bring in Gibson as a WR which ain't happening(kid wants to play QB).

We are taking a small class and after signing 2 QBs in last year's class, we will only take 1 for the 2015 class.

If we got an early commitment from Brandon Wimbush, I would be more than happy and would care less where Gibson went b/c he will not come here with or without Wimbush.

Both Gibson and Wimbush have said they want to be the only QB in their class, so it makes no difference.

Where did you see this? Never heard that before. And if Gibson waits till NSD or all American game there is no way he will be the only qb.

Where did you see this? Never heard that before. And if Gibson waits till NSD or all American game there is no way he will be the only qb.

Who is the last highly rated QB to wait until signing day? I honestly can't remember one, most top QB prospects wrap this **** up in the summer.

Advertisement
I was dead set on us getting Gibson because I feel he's going to be a superstar, but more and more I'm starting to really want Wimbush #1. I think he's MUCH more cerebral than Gibson, to go along with his athleticism and talent.

Who is the last highly rated QB to wait until signing day? I honestly can't remember one, most top QB prospects wrap this **** up in the summer.

Terrell Pryor who committed like 3 months after NSD.

I think more people look at Gibson the athlete and not Gibson the QB. If we are talking drop back and pass wimbush in a landslide. Gipson a legs is what makes him special (And reason he will be a tough pull from auburn or taint)

Advertisement
Honestly i don't see the hype in Gibson, yes he can run fast but his throwing abilities is not that great. in State championship game all he did was throw screens. He is a spread quaterback and thats not our offense. there is a reason he has been playing WR in the 7 vs 7 league also if we can get Wimbush, it maybe easier to pull Fitzpatrick as a package deal. ill take a good QB and elite Corner over a QB who can run great and pass not that good.

I've been on the record of saying I'd wait for Gibson but if Wimbush committed I wouldn't be mad AT ALL if we missed out on the Gibson express..now, if we don't get either than I'm ****ed off..I know there are some quality QB's we're after but it doesn't take a 20+ year internet recruiting expert to see Gibson and Wimbush are our cream of the crop QB targets..

Terrell Pryor who committed like 3 months after NSD.

...and he DIDNT live up to his accolades and now is fighting himself for a starting spot in the league..tuff example

Advertisement
I've been on the record of saying I'd wait for Gibson but if Wimbush committed I wouldn't be mad AT ALL if we missed out on the Gibson express..now, if we don't get either than I'm ****ed off..I know there are some quality QB's we're after but it doesn't take a 20+ year internet recruiting expert to see Gibson and Wimbush are our cream of the crop QB targets..

Same here

If Wimbush were to commit. You take it, and you shut the process down from that point. I like Gibson, and would love to have him @ the position, but i am not keen on waiting until after the 1st of the year on a QB.

I favor out of state kids and the few kids in SF who really bleed orange and green. I don't see Miami being the best place for Gibson. Auburn or maybe Clemson would be my bet.

Advertisement
Back