Brandon Shelby as a CB Coach UM Should Consider

Paranos

All-ACC
Brandon Shelby over the last 10 years has very productive at developing Corner Backs as Indiana University CB's coach. He is a great motivator, Technician, and a very good recruiter. Coming to Miami for a few years could be a very good career move in developing connections and being able to develop more talented players than he normally gets in Indiana.
If Miami can land a grey beard DC like Chad Glasgow from TCU that can teach a better variant of the 4-2-5 defense, we could even see Coach Banda want to stick around to learn from Glasgow. Add to that mix Kevin Patrick as dline coach and there is a blend of new philosophy with Manny's coaching tree still alive with patke and banda still here to learn a new 4-2-5 variant. For Coach Shelby the benefits are both getting to coaching experience in a speed conference to supplement his big 10 conference experience and he gets southern recruiting experience.

The money situation would right for Miami and him . He is currently making $300k. I am thinking $350K gets him.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Brandon Shelby over the last 10 years has very productive at developing Corner Backs as Indiana University CB's coach. He is a great motivator, Technician, and a very good recruiter. Coming to Miami for a few years could be a very good career move in developing connections and being able to develop more talented players than he normally gets in Indiana.
If Miami can land a grey beard DC like Chad Glasgow from TCU that can teach a better variant of the 4-2-5 defense, we could even see Coach Banda want to stick around to learn from Glasgow. Add to that mix Kevin Patrick as dline coach and there is a blend of new philosophy with Manny's coaching tree still alive with patke and banda still here to learn a new 4-2-5 variant. For Coach Shelby the benefits are both getting to coaching experience in a speed conference to supplement his big 10 conference experience and he gets southern recruiting experience.

The money situation would right for Miami and him . He is currently making $300k. I am thinking $350K gets him.

Go Canes

That $50k ain’t covering that COL increase to SFL, but I get your point.

That $50k ain’t covering that COL increase to SFL, but I get your point.

Shelby could move to Kendall, fl or Davie, fl to offset the COL. I know the COL offset would be in the 130K range but you also have to factor in the lower tax structure in Florida. Which should be good for $15k -$25k of free cashflow back in his pocket between no income tax and lower property taxes in Florida.

**** not having to shovel snow nor deal with single digit cold weather is worth $10K COL alone.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Advertisement
Brandon Shelby went to my High School in KC and was an All American RB. He is a stud and incredible person. I went to a deal they held last year for alumni where he and 3 others alumni coaches currently in Power 5 spoke and he is so engaging and could recruit anywhere and anybody. He’s a stud!

Best thing about hiring Shelby would most likely mean IU cornerback Tiawan Mullen's transfers to Miami and we lock up the commitment of his younger brother class of 2022 4* cornerback Trevell Mullen. Which fixes UM cornerback longterm and immediate depth problems.

Also I think Shelby with the UM brand behind him could get 2021 CB Dontae Balfour to sign with Miami. Which would add 3 quality corners two of which could play immediately.

Go Canes

Last edited:
Brandon Shelby went to my High School in KC and was an All American RB. He is a stud and incredible person. I went to a deal they held last year for alumni where he and 3 others alumni coaches currently in Power 5 spoke and he is so engaging and could recruit anywhere and anybody. He’s a stud!
Rock winning state any time soon?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Best thing about hiring Shelby would most likely mean IU cornerback Tiawan Mullen's transfers to Miami and we lock up the commitment of his younger brother class of 2022 4* cornerback Trevell Mullen. Which fixes UM cornerback longterm and immediate depth problems.

Also I think Shelby with the UM brand behind him could get 2021 CB Dontae Balfour to sign with Miami. Which would add 3 quality corners two of which could play immediately.

Go Canes
How do you figure Mullen most likely transfers to follow a position coach? I think he has closer people to him than a coach. IU’s only loss was to OSU by 7.

We haven’t made a change on the defensive staff yet. Manure sleep. BTW, looks like TRob to Florida.

How do you figure Mullen most likely transfers to follow a position coach? I think he has closer people to him than a coach. IU’s only loss was to OSU by 7.

Mullen went to IU because of Shelby. Why would any want to stay on Indiana when they can come home to crib and get the same coaching that made them an all American.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Mullen went to IU because of Shelby. Why would any want to stay on Indiana when they can come home to crib and get the same coaching that made them an all American.

Go Canes

Because he’s one year away from the league. He’s not going to leave the defense where he’s been productive for two years to go to a new school and risk it just because his position coach left.

Having said that he would be a great coach to add to the staff and an upgrade over MR.

Last edited:
Because he’s one year away from the league. He’s not going to leave the defense where he’s been productive for two years to go to a new school and risk it just because his position coach left.

Having said that he would be a great coach to add to the staff and an upgrade over MR.

I think Mullen stays in college until he gets his degree. And if Miami hires Chad Glasgow from TCU then Mullen's will be in a better scheme.

Go Canes

I think Mullen stays in college until he gets his degree. And if Miami hires Chad Glasgow from TCU then Mullen's will be in a better scheme.

Go Canes

I’d love for them to hire Glasgow too. **** Miami could hire the IU HC and I still think Mullen stays. He’s NFL bound next year, no way he stays all 4 years

I’d love for them to hire Glasgow too. **** Miami could hire the IU HC and I still think Mullen stays. He’s NFL bound next year, no way he stays all 4 years

Keep in mind Mullens is a smaller CB and the NFL likes bigger DB's so the additional two years in college will him develop physically and continue to refine his technique. An also play 1 year with his younger brother as a senior at Miami. The older two brothers are already in the NFL so money is not an issue.

Go Canes

Advertisement
Back