Brandon Powell de-commits from Tennessee; commits to UM

View as article

Nash Williams

Freshman
For nearly two weeks now, rumors have been swirling that 2014 Deerfield Beach (Fla.) ATH Brandon Powell may de-commit from the Tennessee Volunteers or even flip his commit to the Miami Hurricanes.

Today those rumors became true as Brandon pulled the trigger and de-committed from Tennessee.

"Pretty much it was just family reasons." said Powell on why he de-committed, not even two months after committing to Tennessee originally.

The 5-foot-9, 175-pound athlete, who holds around 30 Division-I offers was on the Miami campus today watching the 'Canes hold their first practice.

"Yeah I went out there and watched them practice today. The coaches know me and they have been recruiting me so they said a couple words and all that," said Powell.

Brandon has some more things to mull over before he makes a commitment to another school. So when will he decide?

"Pretty much, I don't know right now. I haven't been putting anything out there (social media) that gives people a reason to think I'm committing to UM because I don't want all the attention," said Powell.

Powell mentioned that he wants to talk things over with his dad, Brian Powell.

What makes the 'Canes stand out for Brandon?

"It's home. I know all the players out there. I played against most of them and been to camps with them. Plus it's right here in my hometown you know," said Powell.

Something that all 'Canes should like is the possibility having Joseph Yearby, Dalvin Cook AND Brandon Powell in the 2014 class.

"That would be nice. All three of us in the backfield you know. It would be pushing us all to work hard. It would be just like back in the day having three good running backs in the backfield. All three of us running, you can't stop it." said Powell.

It's safe to say that the chances of the 'Canes landing Brandon Powell are VERY HIGH.

** This past Thursday morning Brandon posted on his Facebook page that he had received his first official letter offer from Miami.

** Here are Brandon's highlights: http://youtu.be/4wFVkEena6w

Last edited by a moderator:
Advertisement
Great adjunct to both Yearby and our receiving corps potentially. Welcome to the fam. (eventually)

Advertisement
Advertisement
Great adjunct to both Yearby and our receiving corps potentially. Welcome to the fam. (eventually)

Yes. Powell is the definition of a all-purpose back. He gets lots of checkdown catches.

Percy Harvin, DeAnthony Thomas and Tavon Austin clone would you say?

He doesn't have that next level burst those guys have, but as far as cutting ability, agility, and versatile, he is in that category.

Yes. Powell is the definition of a all-purpose back. He gets lots of checkdown catches.

He doesn't have that next level burst those guys have, but as far as cutting ability, agility, and versatile, he is in that category.

but he's hella fast tho....speed kills in space!!!!

Thats what I meant. The burst is to me not as important for his impact but in this offense with the other athletes his ability to catch, cut, in the run game and in the slot makes him a matchup nightmare like those three and he's small just like Thomas and Austin

Advertisement

That's a bit extreme.

Ok clone would be a little extreme but definetly the type in the right offense

Advertisement
Pete - don't want to throw this thread off, but out of curiosity, if Powell commits to Miami soon is Berrios out of luck or do you think Berrios's offer is indepedent of what Powell does??

Oh and first time I've see BP's highlights and... ****!! Guy gets up to max speed so quick. Like he's shot out of a cannon. DO.WANT.

Pete - don't want to throw this thread off, but out of curiosity, if Powell commits to Miami soon is Berrios out of luck or do you think Berrios's offer is indepedent of what Powell does??
coming here as a RB/ATH. Berrios still in the mix

I agree with the comparisons regarding cutting ability. I think what makes him special is his vision and feel. Very instinctive runner ala duke. Not same size but his patience reminds me of McGhee. Unfortunate he doesn't have that "next level" speed burst. Will be a nice addition of incredible athletes to the class.

Advertisement
Back