Bowl Season is a Joke

Advertisement
Yeah, u’re right; Smith got injured in The Fiesta Bowl & the following year, Fournette & McCaffrey chose to opt out creating the trend. And b/c Smith wasn’t protected, he went from a sure fire 1st round pick, probably a top 10 pick, to a 2nd round pick, losing millions.

That’s why I suggested many threads ago about draft eligible players having draft insurance that will protect them financially if a catastrophic injury occurs.

Even if you don't call it "draft insurance", they should still be able to buy insurance anyhow. ****, let the NIL money cover it too. Your "last NIL payment" becomes the premium payment on a million-dollar injury policy.

Last edited:
Let me start off by saying that it's possible that next year's CFB playoff expansion has a positive impact on the post-season product.

Honest question, does anyone really give a **** about bowl games anymore?

Maybe I'm just a casual fan nowadays, or perhaps it's just because we've stunk for 20 years and I've become numb to our inevitable bowl losses... but I absolutely did not care about the Pinstripe Bowl yesterday. I don't care about bowl games enough to critique coaching decisions, personnel decisions, offensive play calling, refs, etc... it all feels trivial now. When you subtract the players who will be selected in the top 3-4 rounds of next years NFL draft as well as transfer portal casualties, the games lose some degree of meaning. Even some of the high-profile bowls have begun to feel more like spring games than conference championship games. It has become common to see third-string QBs facing off against each other! Guys on the field are auditioning for PT and NIL, willing to go anywhere that will throw them a bone.

Again, maybe I'm just numb. Maybe this is copium. Maybe I'm wrong.

But, if the players don't care about a bowl game, why the fvck should I?
I could not agree more. I only watch the Canes bowl game and the playoffs. Players sit out. Third string QBs are playing in some (or many?) of the bowl games. Everyone, including recruits knows that this is a mere shell of what the team really is. They schedule games on workdays during work hours and many people cannot watch them. The attendance at many of the bowls is atrocious. The majority of these bowls did not exist when the bowl system was the only system so it isn't like we all have emotional ties to the Fenway Bowl, Duke's Mayo Bowl or the Quick Lane Bowl. The last time I checked the Orange Bowl was not even sold out for Georgia and FSU and we all know the reason why - it does not "matter". The 12-team playoff is probably only phase 2 in the playoff system. Once the NCAA and fans realize that the expanded playoff system brings excitement back to the game and are giant money makers, they will probably expand it again. It may grow to 16 teams since that is an easy bracket fix. They may even increase it to 24 like the way the FCS schools do it. But even if they don't and if the playoffs remain forever at 12 teams, ANYTHING will be better with the system we currently have.

The post was Saban would never let this happen. Who's moving the goal posts? It ain't me.

By the way, for those of you getting all up in your feelings like this is an excuse for yesterday's loss? One has NOTHING to do with the other.

You had to go back 10 years to find a Saban team that lost a bowl game because of a turnover anomaly. Enough said.

Advertisement
I think I’ve watched a ton a great bowl games this season, where kids played hard and wanted it. Privately, we’ve been talking about how good these games have been, so again, I don’t know what u’re referring to.

Lastly, u’re point of “Saban not allowing this” was an anomaly of a bad game. They lost to an 11-2 OU team, not a 6-6 Rutgers. That has nothing to do w/ no caring or not having his team up for that game; some times when u play a good team, as well, u get ur **** pushed in. That 2013 team played w/ fire in several games that year, also getting smoked by Johnny Magic, struggling w/ Miss St, & then AU got them.
No one is saying the teams aren't playing hard. The complaint is it's not the same teams. It's like watching the JV teams play instead of the varsity. They're both playing hard (or should be), but it's not the same teams.

Or you watch the Three Stooges with Curly for years, and then all of a sudden Shemp appears. 🤣

The narrative for that game was Alabama didn't care about being there. Yes, they lost to an 11-2 OU team....who was a 17.5 point underdog. The point is Alabama's players were checked out - whether it was a hangover from the "kick six" against Auburn or not being in the Championship game.

Advertisement
The bolded part is why I wont get mad at players and how they approach them. Good, bad, or indifferent. Everyone has to do what's best for them. Relationships and decisions are transactional now.
I don’t get mad at the players for opting out. Why risk injury if you’re moving onto try the league or transferring to another program? And I don’t really blame the coaches either. The recruiting calendar forces them to leave right away so they can begin recruiting for their new program and prepare for spring practice.

No one is saying the teams aren't playing hard. The complaint is it's not the same teams. It's like watching the JV teams play instead of the varsity. They're both playing hard (or should be), but it's not the same teams.

Or you watch the Three Stooges with Curly for years, and then all of a sudden Shemp appears. 🤣

The narrative for that game was Alabama didn't care about being there. Yes, they lost to an 11-2 OU team....who was a 17.5 point underdog. The point is Alabama's players were checked out - whether it was a hangover from the "kick six" against Auburn or not being in the Championship game.
How many 2024 starters do you think played yesterday? If that was JV you should look away next year.

Advertisement
Fair point and hopefully the expansion to 12 in the playoff format is compelling enough to keep some of them on the field for those games. We're not anywhere near that level but maybe someday.

I'm surprised NIL agreements aren't tied to full participation throughout the season, to include bowl games. With the new expansion I wouldn't be surprised to see that happen, to players on teams that make up the 12. Of course I don't know **** about the NIL structure so I'm just thinking outloud.
Agreed, but would have to be worded carefully, because NIL is not allowed to be, or supposed to be, pay for play.

Definitely was a completely different feeling pre Christian McCaffrey when teams were completely full strength. You always want to win because depth is important. But come on, OP has a point.

Last edited:
Advertisement
How many 2024 starters do you think played yesterday? If that was JV you should look away next year.
Who knows nowadays? How many starters are going to be brought in from the portal? Could be as many as a quarter of the starters.

And yes, some members who are JV this year will be varsity next year. It's been that way forever. Would you still start your JV team over varsity in the current year if your varsity guys are available?

I feel mario wanted to win. Weren't alot of guys playing from Mannys regime? Could explain the lack of care
Arroyo/Mccormick
Rivers
Mccoy
Fletcher/Allen
Mauigoa
Cooper
Restrepo
Horton
George

Bain
Mauigoa
Wayne
Gore
Bissainthe
Porter
Brown
Richard

At least 16 starter from yesterday will return. I won't join the we didn't have anybody spin.

Advertisement
Back