Bowl games need to offer NIL money

AtlAtty

Recruit
Maude
Putting aside Covid for a moment, it is obvious to all that bowl games have lost their luster. I would argue that the 2 factors most responsible for this are 1) the playoffs which are really what most impartial viewers watch and 2) NFL prospects for which kids don’t want to get hurt. So I was considering what incentive bowls could create for players, and the answer is so obvious.

Pay kids for the NIL if the play in the bowl game. You will still have some kids opt who expect to be 1st round picks, but the vast majority will play for some reasonable scratch. So instead of gift bags of stuff most players already have, pay them $$$.

Advertisement
given the current system, that’s not a terrible idea. But then again, this is a terrible system.

Why not just settle on what a kid is worth and sign a contract? What’s the point of a system where a kid is on your team, but you have to pay him again every time you want him to play?

If you make a D1 squad, there should be a minimum salary, and kids could negotiate from there based on performance. Nothing else is at all fair or makes sense.

It's coming. Amateurism is done. The question now is what it'll look like going forward.
Once anyone started to profit financially from football, amateurism didn’t make sense. It’s pretty amazing that the ncaa got as big as it has and lasted as long as it has on the idea that even though there’s were hundreds of millions being made, the players didn’t deserve a cut.

Other than being afraid we’ll lose the sport we love, there’s no rational reason to support the current system.

Advertisement
Idk how I feel about having bowl games offer money to players directly to play in the bowl. It feels a little odd, more WWE than a real sport. But I do like your idea overall. Maybe have NIL deals include bowl appearance bonuses? It somewhat aligns with how professionals are sponsored today

The problem that I see with all of these blanket NIL approaches is that the invisible hand of the marketplace will still dictate the individual payouts. Those payouts will have to be grossly uneven or they will be rendered meaningless with regard to keeping higher draft pick kids from sitting out.

Think about it. We had a kid sit out an entire season and still be a first round pick. (Greg Rousseau).

For a bowl to offer an NIL deal to every player it will likely be a 4 figure payout per player. A guy who looking to get drafted in the first 4 rounds or so will not be motivated to put their draft stock at risk for a ~ $5K - $8K payout. The only way to motivate that caliber of player is a large NIL payout that will create a dis-equity on the roster. Which I guess could be the future of college football, but it just seems like it would be a headache to determine who gets how much.

Would it create a scenario where kids are incentivized to publicly sit out so they can up their bowl NIL market value? Man what a mess. lol

Last edited:
Advertisement
Idk how I feel about having bowl games offer money to players directly to play in the bowl. It feels a little odd, more WWE than a real sport. But I do like your idea overall. Maybe have NIL deals include bowl appearance bonuses? It somewhat aligns with how professionals are sponsored today
I can understand the resistance to it, but I am struggling on why the comparison would be to WWE as opposed to any professional sport?

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't need to see players who are only there for the money. The prima Donna's and draft pussies who drop their team rather than play for it can kick rocks.

This new school mentality is souring me big time on the collegiate game. 99 percent of the college football players are there free of charge and hopefully realize what a gift it is to get a degree and go pro in something other than the sport that gave them this opportunity. This bowl game is their last dance in the sport and a chance to show out one last time for friends teammates, family, and the school that gave them an opportunity.

Yep. Wait until guys start opting out of the playoffs and NC game. The curtain has been pulled back on the “amateurism “ of big time college athletics.
I can see some opting out of the playoffs, but truly believe they would be the exception b/c 1) I think people drafting do look at a kid skipping a meaningless game differently than one that can result in a MNC and 2) most of these kids are competitive and want to have a chance to play for something that matters.

I think one thing that they should absolutely do is evaluate every draft eligible player before the bowl game as to their likely draft spot and then provide them insurance. I am sure the bowls would be able to get a very discounted price per player if they are covering the entire team.

And if the Alamo and Jimmy Kimmel bowls of the world no longer happen b/c they arent financially feasible, is that really such a bad thing?

Advertisement
I can see some opting out of the playoffs, but truly believe they would be the exception b/c 1) I think people drafting do look at a kid skipping a meaningless game differently than one that can result in a MNC and 2) most of these kids are competitive and want to have a chance to play for something that matters.

I think one thing that they should absolutely do is evaluate every draft eligible player before the bowl game as to their likely draft spot and then provide them insurance. I am sure the bowls would be able to get a very discounted price per player if they are covering the entire team.

And if the Alamo and Jimmy Kimmel bowls of the world no longer happen b/c they arent financially feasible, is that really such a bad thing?

“ I think one thing that they should absolutely do is evaluate every draft eligible player before the bowl game as to their likely draft spot and then provide them insurance. I am sure the bowls would be able to get a very discounted price per player if they are covering the entire team.”

I like this idea, a lot actually.

Here’s the thing: There needs to be wholesale changes across the board. The bowl committee operates independent of The NCAA. The NCAA controls the other intercollegiate athletic championships, including FCS. With that being said, between The NIL situation, and these bowl games, if the NCAA is going to continue this charade of being a governing body, then they need to work w/ all entities involved w/ CFB, namely NFL (Sr Bowl, Shrine, NFL Advisory Board), The Bowl Committee, and now Congress (which sounds weird af).

Parameters need to be set regarding NIL, and not some state by state b.s. I also feel these NIL should be used as an exposure to bowl games. Like u said, evaluation & advisory should be done on a draft eligible players before bowl season; and pending on draft grade, an insurance policy put in place if an injury occurs during a game that affects draft status (or something like that).

If u want these kids & schools to stop opting out, then incentives need to issued. Also, I suggested this yrs ago, but some of these bowl games have to go. U want better quality? Eliminate like 13 of these games, & u do that by raising the criteria to win 7 games in order to be bowl eligible. U’ll get way better match ups that way. Just some thoughts.

It's coming. Amateurism is done. The question now is what it'll look like going forward.

Bowls were never “amateur”.

Bowls handling out goodie bags or having gift suites for players goes against amateurism.

Allowing players to sell plane tickets and pocketing the cash goes against amateurism.

Once anyone started to profit financially from football, amateurism didn’t make sense. It’s pretty amazing that the ncaa got as big as it has and lasted as long as it has on the idea that even though there’s were hundreds of millions being made, the players didn’t deserve a cut.

Other than being afraid we’ll lose the sport we love, there’s no rational reason to support the current system.

Advertisement
Putting aside Covid for a moment, it is obvious to all that bowl games have lost their luster. I would argue that the 2 factors most responsible for this are 1) the playoffs which are really what most impartial viewers watch and 2) NFL prospects for which kids don’t want to get hurt. So I was considering what incentive bowls could create for players, and the answer is so obvious.

Pay kids for the NIL if the play in the bowl game. You will still have some kids opt who expect to be 1st round picks, but the vast majority will play for some reasonable scratch. So instead of gift bags of stuff most players already have, pay them $$$.
You're really onto something. This is one of the best ideas posted on this site in years.

Tbh.. I've never been big on paying players. But these games have corporate sponsors like Duke's mayonnaise, Taxslayer or Cheez-It, who've attached their names to these games specifically for the advertising. So they're already doing exactly what the NIL is intended to do, but without having to pay players.

Bowl tiers could take on a new meaning.
New Year's 6 pay out more than lower tier bowls. Opt outs wouldn't get paid, etc.

Your idea makes too much sense.

I can understand the resistance to it, but I am struggling on why the comparison would be to WWE as opposed to any professional sport?
It strikes me as more of an appearance fee if it's the bowl offering it to players. I was a few drinks in when I wrote WWE, but really the idea of having the bowl over deals to stars is like any combat sport setting up a card (boxing, ufc). It's just an odd setup in a team sport, at least right now. But if a contract with a pre- existing NIL deal includes a bowl appearance bonus, I think there are lots of examples of that occurring already in sponsorship contracts

Advertisement
Back