Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Some of the most famous mixed drinks out there are bourbon based - old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour, even a manhattan and sazarac in some places use bourbon. If you need training wheels and have to drink it with a soda, don't use coke, a cream soda goes much better. But still, a splash of water or maybe an ice cube are all you really need
And don't forget the Kentucky Mule. Bada$$ American cousin of the Moscow Mule.

Some of the most famous mixed drinks out there are bourbon based - old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour, even a manhattan and sazarac in some places use bourbon. If you need training wheels and have to drink it with a soda, don't use coke, a cream soda goes much better. But still, a splash of water or maybe an ice cube are all you really need
A sazerac witth bourbon is not a sazerac - but good luck getting one of those in SoFla anyway. I think I've had one, maybe, that was done right - and that was in the keys.

Advertisement
Here is my bourbon/whiskey/rye selection currently and then the whole bakers rack which is really just a liquor cart. I have been drinking old fashions lately. Got vodka, tequila, rum, brandy and wine. Covid has messed up having house parties but if anyone comes over I got them covered. Also have a beer fridge.

D00F1230-51FC-4A71-84E2-5AC992110AB1.jpeg

C623F3D5-34A6-49D6-AB69-F031A342FE3F.jpeg

Here is my bourbon/whiskey/rye selection currently and then the whole bakers rack which is really just a liquor cart. I have been drinking old fashions lately. Got vodka, tequila, rum, brandy and wine. Covid has messed up having house parties but if anyone comes over I got them covered. Also have a beer fridge.

View attachment 140349

View attachment 140350
Fvck you, BeastMode....I'll be right over!

Fvck you, BeastMode....I'll be right over!

I usually make a run once a month or so and just buy random bottles. I’m not even a tequila drinker but I got a few of those. Never know when someone might visit who wants some tequila.

Advertisement
Old fashioned, mint juleps and Manhattans I don't consider real mixed drinks. It's basically straight booze. I prefer Crown for Whiskey Sours. To me tastes less crappy. I very infrequently drink liquor, but if I do, juice and/or soda will be involved.

You should give Brock a call. You guys could have a nice mixed drink, maybe a Pina Colada, 7&7, or Sloe Gin Fizz, to wash down a nice well done steak.

Templeton Rye Maple Cask Finish is a good go-to Rye. Whistle Pig 10 year is the best Rye I've ever had.

Bourbon go-to is Four Roses Small Batch. Any good recs on higher quality bourbon?

Advertisement
Thought Bourbon had to be from one county in KY?
Years ago a few companies stared shipping ingredients for Kentucky around the world. Technically it's bourbon because of the ingredients, no matter where it's distilled. Most bourbons come from the same couple conpanies, the recipe and distillation process is different. I could be off base with that, but I'm pretty sure.

Years ago a few companies stared shipping ingredients for Kentucky around the world. Technically it's bourbon because of the ingredients, no matter where it's distilled. Most bourbons come from the same couple conpanies, the recipe and distillation process is different. I could be off base with that, but I'm pretty sure.
Bourbon can only be made in the US. There are five specific rules:
  • Whiskey Produced in the United States.
  • Made from a minimum of 51% Corn -- along with a combination of other grains such as Rye, Wheat and Malted Barley.
  • Distilled at no higher than 160 proof.
  • Aged in new, Charred Oak Barrels at no more than 125 proof.
  • Must be a minimum of 80 proof at bottling.

Advertisement
You should give Brock a call. You guys could have a nice mixed drink, maybe a Pina Colada, 7&7, or Sloe Gin Fizz, to wash down a nice well done steak.
Hate all you want, but no cap, I kind of like well-done or medium well prime steaks. I know when in a "judged situation" to order medium or mid-rare, and they're all good. But I kind of like well cooked steaks with a great crust. I like Ruth's Chris and Luger's because the plate is so hot, you can turn mid-rare to medium by pressing the steak to the plate. And I think that's the point here. Like, while it may be a sign of "sophistication" to some to enjoy a Macallan 18 neat or with a splash of water or 1 ice cube, sometimes if we're keeping it a buck it's better with half a can of coke and a lime wedge.

To each their own. But I stand by the fact that objectively liquor is better when mixed and yeah, further cooking and/or bernaise or au poivre sauce improves good steaks.

I also prefer colorful Christmas lights to the "classier" all white tree lights. I maybe sometimes have "white trash" tastes. But those things are better when social judgment or pretense are not considered.

Cigarette boats are better than sailboats. "Modern art" is garbage. And, in the same weight class, blondes over brunettes.

Back to liquor, bourbon is hot fiery (literally) garbage.

Last edited:
Yeah. I'm totally cool with liquor, wine or beer. As for bourbon, I don't love spending a ton of money on it, nor do I like chasing down limited bottles that have been driven up in value due to market demand. Bulleit, Redemption, and some bottles from small distilleries I've visited mostly work for my purposes. I have a slightly more expensive bottle of double oaked Woodford Reserve when the mood hits, and as for Scotch, a bottle of Lagavulin for when that mood hits.
Gotta be the 16 but they did have a Game of Thrones 7 that was ok. Son of Peat and Laphroaig 10 are better bang for the buck.

Advertisement
Back