Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

Advertisement
Apparently they are both finished in port wine barrels, unless the bottle that says “Kentucky straight bourbon whiskey finished in port wine barrels” is blatantly lying
Apologies...the rye is finished in a rum cask. You’re correct with the port wine barrel on the regular.

I can give you a bourbon to avoid. Jeptha Creed. Relatively new brand but, they charge 40-60$ a bottle and, it’s trash.They use blood corn and I think age it for two years. It’s taste is like it was aged minutes in a plastic flask. I would much rather have an Ol Grandad, Wild Turkey, Buffalo Trace, etc.

This is actually pretty smooth at 120 proof

9BB96662-9F8D-4AF2-8350-5C99F46E2FCE.jpeg

Advertisement
Bourbon is trash. Tastes dreadful and hard to mix. Don't know why the hipsters are pretending to be into it.

I don't waste much money on booze anymore, but for special occasions things I like:

Ron Abuelo Centuria
Patron Estate Release Silver
Captain Morgan Private Stock
Crown Royal/Crown Royal Black
Redbreast
Codigo Anejo

Is a bottle of Blantons priced at $89 around market value?

You can sometimes see it for a little less in the state-controlled pricing jurisdictions, but that is a fair price. In South Florida I've seen it for as low as $70 and but as high as $199. Put it this way, any time I find a bottle of Blanton's under $100, I buy it.

Advertisement
Bourbon is trash. Tastes dreadful and hard to mix. Don't know why the hipsters are pretending to be into it.

I don't waste much money on booze anymore, but for special occasions things I like:

Ron Abuelo Centuria
Redbreast
Codigo Anejo
“Hard to mix” is your 1st problem....lmao

Ron Abuelo Centuria
Redbreast
Codigo Anejo
Anyone who needs to mix Bourbon shouldn't bother with Bourbon.

Advertisement
Anyone who needs to mix Bourbon shouldn't bother with Bourbon.
You might be right. I don't drink straight liquor. Mainly because I'm not a pledge anymore. All the selections on my list make for fantastic mixed drinks. Try a Pina Colada with Ron Abuelo Centuria or a Margarita with Codigo or Patron Estate Release.

Crown and Redbreast also mix much nicer with ginger ale/coke. If I'm spending a bunch of money on hooch I want to enjoy it dammit lol.

Some of the most famous mixed drinks out there are bourbon based - old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour, even a manhattan and sazarac in some places use bourbon. If you need training wheels and have to drink it with a soda, don't use coke, a cream soda goes much better. But still, a splash of water or maybe an ice cube are all you really need

You might be right. I don't drink straight liquor. Mainly because I'm not a pledge anymore. All the selections on my list make for fantastic mixed drinks. Try a Pina Colada with Ron Abuelo Centuria or a Margarita with Codigo or Patron Estate Release.

Crown and Redbreast also mix much nicer with ginger ale/coke. If I'm spending a bunch of money on hooch I want to enjoy it dammit lol.
To each his own. I don't drink mixed drinks, particularly anything with sugars in it. Don't like the taste and gives me a headache.

Advertisement
Some of the most famous mixed drinks out there are bourbon based - old fashioned, mint julep, whiskey sour, even a manhattan and sazarac in some places use bourbon. If you need training wheels and have to drink it with a soda, don't use coke, a cream soda goes much better. But still, a splash of water or maybe an ice cube are all you really need
Old fashioned, mint juleps and Manhattans I don't consider real mixed drinks. It's basically straight booze. I prefer Crown for Whiskey Sours. To me tastes less crappy. I very infrequently drink liquor, but if I do, juice and/or soda will be involved.

I know it is a Scotch rather than a Bourbon, but this is the best sippin' **** there is. A little pricey, but worth it.
1610063403634.png

This is basically what I did. Started about 5 years ago with old fashioneds, then went to rocks, eventually making my way to barrel proofs neat.

My girl just made me quit drinking for the foreseeable future. Be careful with those barrel proofs :ROFLMAO:

As to recs: I am a Buffalo Trace guy. Regular BT & Eagle Rare are great for under $30. Another I would recommend is Evan Williams Single Barrel. Under $30 and great value. Don't let the regular bottom shelf Evan Williams scare you off.
Drinking BT tonight and just bought a bottle of Evan SB on my way home. Good call, my man. Need to try the Eagle Rare.

Advertisement
Back