Off-Topic Bourbon Heads

@wspcane I couldn't reply on the other thread, but no I haven't had Blade and Bow. I researched it and It sounds like a real gem!
Only one way to find out!

A buddy of mine entered the Buffalo Trace barrel lottery this year and won. He did not get Weller, I forget which he wound up with. But he gets to go with his friends, taste some barrels, pick it out and then they bottle and ship it to them. He said it is the cost of wholesale per bottle?

Advertisement
Where in Atlanta are you? I live in South Buckhead. Some good bourbon bars around this town. Can't wait for the **** pandemic to be over and to sit at the Porter's bar for a few hours.
This was at the Red Phone Booth cigar bar downtown. Pretty chill atmosphere.

Some great bourbons mentioned in both threads.

Agree on the ECBP as a go-to for the money.

One that hasn’t been mentioned that I’ve become a fan of is Wyoming Whiskey Outryder.

My prized bottle right now is Rock Hill Farms. As someone stated previously, outstanding bourbon that has become impossible to find.

I recently bumped into a bottle of Alberta Premium Cask Strength Rye while traveling last month, which won Murray’s Whiskey Bible Award this year. One of my more memorable finds during a random whiskey hunt.

Been searching for a bottle of Stagg Jr. I know some on here have better luck acquiring that than I do in Miami. If anyone knows where I can score a bottle it would be much appreciated.

Advertisement
If you want a group to join then check out Miami Bourbon Society on Facebook. They have barrel picks ~once a month and hold the pickup at Beat Culture brewery off the 836.

Anyone on here into Japanese whiskies? I have to admit, I have actually cut down on bourbon a bit in the last couple of years with the bourbon craze and prices shooting up. It became really frustrating to see a bottle that used to cost $30 a collecting dust (WL Weller), now costing 3x the price and having to go through a lottery.

Advertisement
the pineapple rum is real good stuff. also amazing to sub into a traditional daquiri for 1/2 part of the white rum.
I’ve been mixing it with unsweetened coconut water recently and it’s glorious.

Did the bourbon trail a few years ago, strongly recommend if you get a chance. You'll probably get sick of hearing about how Bourbon is made (pretty much the same everywhere because how to make Bourbon is specified by law), but the tastings are usually worth it - and mostly free.

Go to's:
Buffalo Trace
Weller Special Reserve (thats my favorite bang for buck)
1792 Small Batch (underrated)

Decent but overpriced:
Woodford
Makers
**** Creek (more kick than the wheated bourbon that mostly make up my list)

One of the best and then one of the worst bottles I've ever tried:
Town Branch from Lexington. I don't actually recommend their bourbon, but they have a Bourbon barrel stout that is pretty good.

Full disclosure: I tend to like smoother/wheated rather than rye bourbons

Gonna be stealing some more off the beaten path recommendations from this thread.

Relative novice myself, but I agree on your favorites. Haven't bought a bottle of 1792 yet, but love Buffalo Trace and Weller. Also trying to track down a bottle of Eagle Rare to try, but not sure when and where to look.

Did the bourbon trail a few years ago, strongly recommend if you get a chance. You'll probably get sick of hearing about how Bourbon is made (pretty much the same everywhere because how to make Bourbon is specified by law), but the tastings are usually worth it - and mostly free.

Go to's:
Buffalo Trace

Decent but overpriced:
Woodford
Makers

Town Branch from Lexington. I don't actually recommend their bourbon, but they have a Bourbon barrel stout that is pretty good.

Gonna be stealing some more off the beaten path recommendations from this thread.
Have you tried Rowans Creek? Found it at Total Wine about 6 months ago. I like it, pretty smooth.

Advertisement
Relative novice myself, but I agree on your favorites. Haven't bought a bottle of 1792 yet, but love Buffalo Trace and Weller. Also trying to track down a bottle of Eagle Rare to try, but not sure when and where to look.

the winn dixie liquor on coral way always had eagle rare (fifths and handles) for retail before i left 2 years ago. give it a look.

1610045288699.png
1610045288699.png/END THREAD.

Go to's:
Buffalo Trace

Decent but overpriced:
Woodford
Makers

I feel a little nuts saying this, but I actually thought the bourbon trail was a bit of a letdown. We went to Buffalo Trace, Stitzel, another one that I am forgetting, and Makers. I was thinking or hoping there would be special barrel bottles to buy, or was hoping it would be like wineries where you can pay for higher end reserve tastings. That was not the case, but the other part is the tastings were TINY. We had a driver to take us around but did not even need it with how small the pours were.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back