Bottom line this year, let down by upperclassmen

Miami04

Senior
As I was sitting at the UNC double header regretting my 4.5 hour drive to watch that **** I was thinking about the amount of clutch hits UNC got and the lack of clutch hits we have had all season. Constantly leaving men on base.

On paper these hitters should be carrying this team but when another team scores 4 runs you feel as if the game is over. So I got to thinking, which draft eligible players are meeting or exceeding expectations this year. The answer I come up with is 1. Delly, a guy we didn't even recruit. (I could stretch and say Vilar is meeting expectations)

Lala - below
ADC - below
Toral - below
Jenkins - awful
Gabe - a little below
Gil - below
Federman - below

So now we have left it up to freshmen pitching to carry the season and it has been streaky.

My point in all this rambling is that I am not ready to fire Gino yet. He gets a pass for last year because we will never know what might have happened with that team, while the sweep by UF made things look bad. (1999 team was swept by Cal St Fullerton, so who knows)

But the only pleasant surprises on this team have been freshmen. He is building another great recruiting class this year as well and if he continues to stack talent this way the wins will come. Lets just hope that player development is not an issue. (I am worried about that)

After what we've seen this season I am just hoping this team can finish above .500 in the ACC and be a 2 seed in a regional. We've got that 0-2 BBQ look about us but you just never know when something might click.

Advertisement
As I was sitting at the UNC double header regretting my 4.5 hour drive to watch that **** I was thinking about the amount of clutch hits UNC got and the lack of clutch hits we have had all season. Constantly leaving men on base.

On paper these hitters should be carrying this team but when another team scores 4 runs you feel as if the game is over. So I got to thinking, which draft eligible players are meeting or exceeding expectations this year. The answer I come up with is 1. Delly, a guy we didn't even recruit. (I could stretch and say Vilar is meeting expectations)

Lala - below
ADC - below
Toral - below
Jenkins - awful
Gabe - a little below
Gil - below
Federman - below

So now we have left it up to freshmen pitching to carry the season and it has been streaky.

My point in all this rambling is that I am not ready to fire Gino yet. He gets a pass for last year because we will never know what might have happened with that team, while the sweep by UF made things look bad. (1999 team was swept by Cal St Fullerton, so who knows)

But the only pleasant surprises on this team have been freshmen. He is building another great recruiting class this year as well and if he continues to stack talent this way the wins will come. Lets just hope that player development is not an issue. (I am worried about that)

After what we've seen this season I am just hoping this team can finish above .500 in the ACC and be a 2 seed in a regional. We've got that 0-2 BBQ look about us but you just never know when something might click.
Great post, agree on all things except for last years team/ firing Gino. He should have never been hired. He’s a bum

in regards to last year, those same bum upperclassmen you mentioned above would have underperformed just like we’ve seen this year. Pitching was elite, but you still have to have clutch hits. Something this program hasn’t done in 15+ years

Lala - below
ADC - below
Toral - below
Jenkins - awful
Gabe - a little below
Gil - below
Federman - below

Enjoyed the post. My only slight disagreement is I think we’re way passed being worried about player development being a problem. It’s a problem. Upperclass players are regressing at an alarming rate and it’s not new. This has been going on for a long time under the Morris/DiMare regime

Upperclass players are regressing at an alarming rate and it’s not new.

Such a correct statement. Not sure if the players are drinking the kool aid, or if the coaches stink - but I lean towards the later. This is a championship team - with better leadership. However it starts at the top - basketball, football, and baseball all continuously underperform and leave us with the hope of "next year."

Advertisement
This team does not have the pitching talent to win anything. 100% our bats have underwhelmed for sure though, its obvious.
Agree. Coupled with McFarlane’s slow development, kicking Eskew off the team last year is certainly being felt.

Rivera is a very weak link right now, and it's hard to believe no one else couldn't do a better job.

Advertisement
Back