Borregales

It would've been cool if he was drafted, but there's a lot of kickers in the NFL that weren't drafted. In fact more kicks have been made by those undrafted since 2000 than those drafted.

Advertisement
Borregales will make an NFL squad. He will end up in another camp before he sticks. That's just how it works. Badgeley signed with the Colts and ended up with the Chargers. He wasn't beating out Vinatieri but he had an excellent camp and that got him to LA. I expect Jose will do the same. The kid is the goods. He really took the next step last year. Never a question about leg strength.

UF kicker this year 40 of 80 touchbacks.. Borregales 50 of 70. and they took him in the 5th?
He scored a total of 302 points during his carreer, 51 of 60 field goals and 149 of 150 PATs. Made four over 50 in 2020 with a long of 55. Five of his misses were this year.

He scored a total of 302 points during his carreer, 51 of 60 field goals and 149 of 150 PATs (no missed PATs in 2020). Made four over 50 in 2020 with a long of 55. Five of his misses were this year.

Jose scored a total of 378 points during his career (Borregales played 4 years, McPherson played 3 years), 70 of 88 field goals and 168 of 171 PATs. Made 2 FGs over 50 in 2020 with a long of 57. Two of his FG misses were this year (both in the 40-49 range).

All of Jose's misses (career):

2 - 20-29 (McPherson - 1)
7 - 30-39 (McPherson - 1)
7 - 40-49 (McPherson - 4, half this year)
2 - 50+ (McPherson - 3, all this year)

So it is arguable that Borregales IMPROVED significantly once he got to Miami in 2020, with better personnel/coaching, while McPherson had a drop-off in 2020. Which, of course, is why Borregales won the Groza in 2020 and McPherson did not.

I'm not sure why Borregales is going to a team that has a good veteran with a sizable contract. It is easy to make a good camp impression from any one of 32 teams, but if you do so with a team that has a more immediate need, they are more likely to keep you.

Only thing that MIGHT happen with the Bucs is that Borregales is so good that they cut the incumbent for salary cap reasons, as the Bucs have struggled (financially) to get the band back together this year. Maybe a cheap kicker helps them bring back Brown or McCoy, though Gio Bernard probably means McCoy is gone. Bucs only drafted one WR in the 4th round.

Advertisement
1. I think less than half of the kickers in the NFL got drafted, so whether he got drafted or not doesnt matter in this case.

2. Unless he didnt have any other offers from the NFL, I dont get why Borregales signed with the Bucs after they extended their own kicker. Succop made 90% of his FGs last season. Unless they expect him to absolutely collapse in training camp, Borregales at this point is nothing more than a guy pressuring a seasoned veteran kicker for his job.

Whether you get drafted or not as a kicker doesn’t meant squat. Here’s why:
The best kicker right now is Justin Tucker...undrafted

Few years later, bucs drafted Aquayo...bust/released immediately.

Most successful kickers in the NFL weren’t drafted. See Tucker, Lambo, Gould, Lutz, Boswell, Prater (I just listed 6 of top 7 kickers).

That being said, Borregales will be just fine.

Advertisement
I still owe Jose some congratulatory booty gifs.

Hate to say it but Badgley had some struggles last year, if Borregales gets cut from the Bucs San Diego is a potential landing spot if they want to bring in some competition.

As plenty have said always, most kickers go undrafted. Teams are hitting the FA pool heavy after the preseason is over for a kicker because theirs sucked. Borregales just needs as much tape as he can showing consistency and a team who cut their kicker will pick him up and then he is almost guaranteed to be the main kicker

As plenty have said always, most kickers go undrafted. Teams are hitting the FA pool heavy after the preseason is over for a kicker because theirs sucked. Borregales just needs as much tape as he can showing consistency and a team who cut their kicker will pick him up and then he is almost guaranteed to be the main kicker

Maybe I'm confused but as a FA, wouldn't he have chosen a situation where he can go in and win the job from the start? I don't have any idea what Tampa's kicking situation was last season but I have to imagine he feels like he will go in there and win the job if he signed there.

Maybe I'm confused but as a FA, wouldn't he have chosen a situation where he can go in and win the job from the start? I don't have any idea what Tampa's kicking situation was last season but I have to imagine he feels like he will go in there and win the job if he signed there.
Well, if the first job as an UDFA kicker is just basically an audition for the rest of the league, then he might as well go to a place not far from home. Tampa fits that, at least. Of course, none of us have any idea if he had any other offers, and if so, from which teams.

Advertisement
Whether you get drafted or not as a kicker doesn’t meant squat. Here’s why:
The best kicker right now is Justin Tucker...undrafted

Few years later, bucs drafted Aquayo...bust/released immediately.

Most successful kickers in the NFL weren’t drafted. See Tucker, Lambo, Gould, Lutz, Boswell, Prater (I just listed 6 of top 7 kickers).

That being said, Borregales will be just fine.
I would say Jason Sanders was arguably the best kicker in the NFL last year. He missed 3 kicks all year

If Badgley doesn't get his **** together, he will be out of a job and Jose could be a name for LA to think about if Tampa doesn't keep him.

Advertisement
Jose scored a total of 378 points during his career (Borregales played 4 years, McPherson played 3 years), 70 of 88 field goals and 168 of 171 PATs. Made 2 FGs over 50 in 2020 with a long of 57. Two of his FG misses were this year (both in the 40-49 range).

All of Jose's misses (career):

2 - 20-29 (McPherson - 1)
7 - 30-39 (McPherson - 1)

7 - 40-49 (McPherson - 4, half this year)
2 - 50+ (McPherson - 3, all this year)

So it is arguable that Borregales IMPROVED significantly once he got to Miami in 2020, with better personnel/coaching, while McPherson had a drop-off in 2020. Which, of course, is why Borregales won the Groza in 2020 and McPherson did not.

I'm not sure why Borregales is going to a team that has a good veteran with a sizable contract. It is easy to make a good camp impression from any one of 32 teams, but if you do so with a team that has a more immediate need, they are more likely to keep you.

Only thing that MIGHT happen with the Bucs is that Borregales is so good that they cut the incumbent for salary cap reasons, as the Bucs have struggled (financially) to get the band back together this year. Maybe a cheap kicker helps them bring back Brown or McCoy, though Gio Bernard probably means McCoy is gone. Bucs only drafted one WR in the 4th round.
This is what left Jose undrafted.

Don't forget Succop was only brought in after a couple of other Bucs kickers didn't pan out...

I think he sticks!

Advertisement
Back