Booker T. Washington takes down top-ranked St. Thomas Aquina

IMissCoker

Redshirt Freshman
St. Thomas Aquinas, Miami Booker T. Washington battle in big South Florida showdown | Miami Herald

From its first practice in the spring, Booker T. Washington players and coached have repeated the same two words to each other as motivation - "national champions."

The Tornadoes did not open the season as the nation’s top-ranked team.

But Friday night, they took a major step toward claiming that spot.

Led by sophomore quarterback Daniel Richardson’s four touchdown passes and a goal-line stand in the closing seconds, the Tornadoes defeated St. Thomas Aquinas 27-23 at Traz Powell Stadium.

Booker T. (1-0), ranked No. 6 by USA Today, winners of four consecutive state titles and five since 2007, defeated a nationally-ranked opponent for the second consecutive week after having defeated Plantation American Heritage in a preseason classic.

Aquinas (0-1), a nine-time state champion, entered the game ranked No. 1 in every national ranking.

"I feel like we had a great game plan this week," Booker T. coach Tim "Ice" Harris said. "Coming off playing the No. 6 team and then coming back to beat the No. 1 team it just says a lot about this program and that we’re not afraid to go out and play the best teams."

The victory will undoubtedly vault Booker T. closer to the top spot in the polls. Las Vegas powerhouse Bishop Gorman, which plays Aquinas on Sept. 30, entered the week ranked No. 2 and has been voted mythical national champions two consecutive seasons by USA Today.

"This sets up for our ultimate goal to be the No. 1 team in the country," Harris said. "We set up a schedule where all of our non-district opponents are nationally-ranked because we knew it was the only way to get where we want to go."

The game was attended by numerous alumni of both schools including two Hall of Famers – University of Miami and Aquinas great Michael Irvin and Booker T. Washington alum and former Miami Dolphin Larry Little.

They watched a classic that had seven lead changes go back and forth until Richardson’s 18-yard touchdown pass to Sherod Johnson with 2:26 remaining.

"We just had to play as a unit and we knew [Aquinas] was good but we kept preaching to each other that we’re better," Richardson said. "People didn’t think we could be No. 1 but we came in tonight and proved it."

Following the go-ahead touchdown pass, the game went into a lightning delay that lasted roughly 40 minutes.

When play resumed, Aquinas drove down to the Booker T. 1-yard line after quarterback Jake Allen connected with Trevon Grimes on a slant pass that set up first-and-goal.

But on the next play Allen faced a heavy rush from Booker T.’s defensive linemen and tried lobbing a quick pass over the blitz.

The rushed throw was intercepted by Dedrick Mackey with 23.9 seconds, sealing the win for the Tornadoes.

Mackey’s interception was one of five turnovers by Aquinas (0-1).

"I knew [Grimes] hadn’t crossed the goal line on the play before," Mackey said. "Those guys did the job up front."

Daniel Esptein led Aquinas, ranked No. 1 in multiple polls, by rushing for 131 yards on 13 carries and a touchdown.

Richardson completed 18 of 32 passes for 269 yards and threw two interceptions.

Johnson caught six passes for 92 yards and two touchdowns.

Allen threw for 255 yards but his interception with 3:35 remaining, picked off by Richard Dames, led to Booker T.’s winning score.

Guy Thomas recovered two fumbles for the Tornadoes.

Richardson threw a pair of touchdown passes earlier in the game to Deandre Williams including a 22-yarder that tied the score at 14.

Marco Salani connected on the first of his three field goals to give Aquinas a 17-14 halftime lead.

But trailing 20-14 late in the third quarter, Richardson found Williams open over the middle for a 57-yard touchdown that gave Booker T. a 21-20 lead.

"We achieved our goal, but we have to keep grinding and stay on top," Mackey said.

Advertisement
I wish Booker T could play Gorman. Hopefully, STA will beat Gorman and things will take care of themselves.

I wish Booker T could play Gorman. Hopefully, STA will beat Gorman and things will take care of themselves.

I wish Gorman would play an entire schedule of Florida schools one year and then just go away forever. I know it's hypocritical of me as a STA fan but something about Gorman's program is really annoying to me.

I wish Gorman would play an entire schedule of Florida schools one year and then just go away forever. I know it's hypocritical of me as a STA fan but something about Gorman's program is really annoying to me.

I lived out there and knew a guy who went to school there. The way I remembered it is basically they get a great deal of the talent in the area and they don't have to compete for those kids the way it is competing for kids in the 305 and 954. Gorman also has a ton of money. The result is that they have a solid and stacked roster and crush the area schools...or at least they used to. In South Florida it seems that schools also load up but because of the amount of talent, there is still a lot of competition on the field. I'd like to see Gorman come down here. I assume the game with STA is in Vegas.

Advertisement

They do it to a lesser degree in hoops too.

It's easy to recruit families to move to Vegas so their son can get a free private edumacation (jobs for parents included).

One of my good friends played at Gorman in the early 90's and moved on to ASU to become a participating member of the point shaving scandal.

Point-Shaving Scandal Hits Arizona State - latimes

Vegas is dirty as fvck. ALL the way around

It's easy to recruit families to move to Vegas so their son can get a free private edumacation (jobs for parents included).

One of my good friends played at Gorman in the early 90's and moved on to ASU to become a participating member of the point shaving scandal.

Not an exaggeration about Dirty Vegas. The guy I knew played baseball. It's the wild wild west out there and the powerful players have a lot of latitude to make their moves. Nearly everyone I came across had an angle out there and they came at you slideways.

Not an exaggeration about Dirty Vegas. The guy I knew played baseball. It's the wild wild west out there and the powerful players have a lot of latitude to make their moves. Nearly everyone I came across had an angle out there and they came at you slideways.
I lived in Vegas for ten years. Just like Florida, there are good and bad people. Doctors hang out with doctors. Lawyers hang out with lawyers. Scumbags hang out with scumbags. Vegas is a service town. Most of the people that live there are polite, kind and work hard for their money. A lot of people say the same things about the people here in Florida. I love florida and I think the majority of people here are solid too. TIFWIW

I lived in Vegas for ten years. Just like Florida, there are good and bad people. Doctors hang out with doctors. Lawyers hang out with lawyers. Scumbags hang out with scumbags. Vegas is a service town. Most of the people that live there are polite, kind and work hard for their money. A lot of people say the same things about the people here in Florida. I love florida and I think the majority of people here are solid too. TIFWIW

Yes, it's a service town with a lot of hard working people. I knew many. That said, I'm just relaying my personal experience living out there for 4 years. I lived in a nice place in Summerlin and had a successful business on the strip. I saw a lot of sh-t out there and it was far more pervasive then what I'd experienced growing up in the 305. Just my experience.

Advertisement

Yes, it's a service town with a lot of hard working people. I knew many. That said, I'm just relaying my personal experience living out there for 4 years. I lived in a nice place in Summerlin and had a successful business on the strip. I saw a lot of sh-t out there and it was far more pervasive then what I'd experienced growing up in the 305. Just my experience.
They both have opportunities. However, one things for sure, you can do and have whatever you want anytime. I'm not a "country buy". I like to stay busy 24/7. I would only live in two other states in this country, NY & Cali. LOVE Manhattan, L.A., San Fran and So Cal

Last edited:

BTW played them a few years back and whoop that their ***.

[video=youtube_share;cN8ET1S33HY]http://youtu.be/cN8ET1S33HY[/video]

I lived out there and knew a guy who went to school there. The way I remembered it is basically they get a great deal of the talent in the area and they don't have to compete for those kids the way it is competing for kids in the 305 and 954. Gorman also has a ton of money. The result is that they have a solid and stacked roster and crush the area schools...or at least they used to. In South Florida it seems that schools also load up but because of the amount of talent, there is still a lot of competition on the field. I'd like to see Gorman come down here. I assume the game with STA is in Vegas.

You are not lying about Gorman having a ton of money.
[video=youtube_share;AslQ4bh1IWY]http://youtu.be/AslQ4bh1IWY[/video]

BTW played them a few years back and whoop that their ***.

[video=youtube_share;cN8ET1S33HY]http://youtu.be/cN8ET1S33HY[/video]
Thanks for the clip. I recall that they played out there. I always root for my hometown teams when they play teams from other states.

Advertisement

Wow...compared to that facility our kids are like Rocky Balboa chasing chickens in the yard with Mickey and punching slabs of beef in Pauli's freezer.

They both have opportunities. However, one things for sure, you can do and have whatever you want anytime. I'm not a "country buy". I like to stay busy 24/7. I would only live in two other states in this country, NY & Cali. LOVE Manhattan, L.A., San Fran and So Cal

You're a good dude, [MENTION=4162]Boarcane[/MENTION]... Of that I have no doubt.

Wow...compared to that facility our kids are like Rocky Balboa chasing chickens in the yard with Mickey and punching slabs of beef in Pauli's freezer.

You should see the facilities at the Kinkaid school in Houston……high school weight room overlooks the football field:

The Kinkaid School: Strength & Conditioning

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back