Booker T. game

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
I wasn't able to post this a couple nights ago, but I was at the Booker T - Glades Central game Friday night and a couple things caught my eye.

1) Mark Walton has taken the next step. I've always been a fan of Walton, but was careful to anoint him the next great back out of Dade County because he was playing a year behind his true class and wanted to judge him as a 2015 kid (which he now is) as opposed to a "2016" prospect. Walton's explosiveness has improved over the last year and his balance for his size is remarkable. IF/when Duke leaves, which I think will be this year, Walton comes in and supplants Gus Edwards IMO. Yearby, Walton, Scarlett will be a very nice backfield if it comes to fruition. Expect Dex Williams to get more selective touches as a freshman in the return game and slot.

2) Davante Davis has a lot of work to do. Davis is a big talent and warrants the praise that he gets as a physical athlete, but it will take some time for him to make a major impact at corner in college. He was flagged twice for pass interference in the game on Friday and could have easily been called for three or four. Just a few years ago, this kid was playing H-back/TE at Homestead so he has come a long way.

3) 2016 slot receiver Darius Scott for BTW will be one to watch. Scott is in the same mold as many of the speedy receivers to come from Booker T. over the past few year. His quickness in the slot and return ability make him a dangerous threat to change the game every time he touches it. He took a screen pass for about a 65-yard TD, but it was called back due to a personal foul during the play that did not have an impact on the score. I would be interested to see what he runs in the 40.

4) Glades Central's running back Ja'Kevious Vickers (2016) is about 5-11, 205-pounds and is a very intriguing fullback prospect in my opinion. Vickers has put up big numbers all year on his ability to run hard and downhill. He is already getting D1 looks as a running back, but he could have a nice future as a combo FB.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I wasn't able to post this a couple nights ago, but I was at the Booker T - Glades Central game Friday night and a couple things caught my eye.

1) Mark Walton has taken the next step. I've always been a fan of Walton, but was careful to anoint him the next great back out of Dade County because he was playing a year behind his true class and wanted to judge him as a 2015 kid (which he now is) as opposed to a "2016" prospect.

can I ask why that's a problem when lots of top kids have been a year behind their true class. I don't remember anyone saying Sony or Valentine aren't a true 2014 kids so they can't really be judged against 2014 kids. **** everyone here wants Ridley and he's like two classes behind.

1) Mark Walton has taken the next step. I've always been a fan of Walton, but was careful to anoint him the next great back out of Dade County because he was playing a year behind his true class and wanted to judge him as a 2015 kid (which he now is) as opposed to a "2016" prospect.

can I ask why that's a problem when lots of top kids have been a year behind their true class. I don't remember anyone saying Sony or Valentine aren't a true 2014 kids so they can't really be judged against 2014 kids. **** everyone here wants Ridley and he's like two classes behind.

What Pete was probably saying is that the kid is playing a year behind so he's a junior, but he technically should have the skills of a senior. If you would've evaluated Sony or Valentine in their junior year and compare them to the senior class, they would still be at the top of the class. Is the same thing can be said about Walton?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back