Bo Jackson

Empirical Cane

We are what we repeatedly do.
Was watching film of Bo Jackson play football and baseball.

"Incredibly gifted athlete" I don't believe does justice to how much better he was than everyone around him.

I'm thinking perhaps D Henry is similar, but if I had one pick, it would be Jackson.

Could you imagine Bo running through stretched thin Ds in today's spread environment? Goodness the man would have 10000 rushing yards.

Advertisement
He was in my opinion the greatest athlete ever. People can say what they want about Deion Sanders, but let's face it, Deion could cover and had shifty moves but he tackled like a 6 year old girl missing both of her arms, and baseball, other than being fast, he was average.
Bo excelled at both sports.

Bo Jackson was the baddest **** the 80s saw. He was sooooo good in both baseball and football.

I love Prime Time and he's one of my favorite players ever (can't believe i just said that about a nole), but not sure he can hold a candle to Bo. Bo was just as good in football as Prime Time, but it was a not even a comparison in baseball

Henry isn’t in the same stratosphere as Bo. Henry is an over grown country boy with an incredible work ethic. At best is a 4.5 guy. Bo at only about 5-10 lbs lighter playing weight, was a natural who could step out of bed and run a 4.2 without stretching.

Advertisement
Bo is probably the greatest RB talent of all time, and had serious MLB skills. It’s a shame he chose both, as he could have been a HOF in either sport. But then, his legacy as ‘coulda been’ is what makes his legend unique.

Deion was a freak athlete at CB, maybe the greatest of all time, but wasn’t the same level of baseball player.

There is a YouTube video of Deion telling the story having to try an tackle Bo when Prime was a freshman. Its rather funny to hear him describe how that did not work out well.

Got to see him as a kid play baseball live and I never really liked the sport. But he was amazing in football and knocked one into the stands that day. Amazing athlete.

Was watching film of Bo Jackson play football and baseball.

"Incredibly gifted athlete" I don't believe does justice to how much better he was than everyone around him.

I'm thinking perhaps D Henry is similar, but if I had one pick, it would be Jackson.

Could you imagine Bo running through stretched thin Ds in today's spread environment? Goodness the man would have 10000 rushing yards.
Henry? Not on the same planet as Bo IMO. A while back my kid was talking about great running backs and I pulled up video of Bo and said he should be near the top of any list. What an athlete.

Advertisement
Bo was a gifted athlete, and great running back. That being said, he is NOT even the best running back in SEC history. Herschel Walker was a better college back. Bo did not dominate in college at the same level as Herschel. Walker was more dominant than Jackson. He outpaces him in virtually every statistical category, though he played 12 less game in his college career. There's been many great SEC RB's, but as a college running back, Herschel does not take a back seat to anyone in the SEC - period.

Henry? Not on the same planet as Bo IMO. A while back my kid was talking about great running backs and I pulled up video of Bo and said he should be near the top of any list. What an athlete.
Eye dound no abut thatz Cane Dog.

I'm certainly not suggesting Henry is as good as Jackson, but I would place the two on the same planet in terms of raw talent and ability.
100% agree though Bo Knows Genetic Gifted Freak for sure.

Bo was a gifted athlete, and great running back. That being said, he is NOT even the best running back in SEC history. Herschel Walker was a better college back. Bo did not dominate in college at the same level as Herschel. Walker was more dominant than Jackson. He outpaces him in virtually every statistical category, though he played 12 less game in his college career. There's been many great SEC RB's, but as a college running back, Herschel does not take a back seat to anyone in the SEC - period.
Perhaps, but I don't remember Herschel's accomplishments in MLB......... As an overall gifted athlete, no one tops Bo. Not only a pro in two sports, but 100% legit all-star

Eye dound no abut thatz Cane Dog.

I'm certainly not suggesting Henry is as good as Jackson, but I would place the two on the same planet in terms of raw talent and ability.
100% agree though Bo Knows Genetic Gifted Freak for sure.
Whatever you f'ing mope.

The other video I showed the boy was Herschel Walker but I am not exactly impartial...

Henry is the ugliest bad *** runner around you are correct he is rather good. Like a human wrecking ball with wheels when necessary.

Advertisement
Perhaps, but I don't remember Herschel's accomplishments in MLB......... As an overall gifted athlete, no one tops Bo. Not only a pro in two sports, but 100% legit all-star
Herschel did not play MLB. My comments are ONLY about college football - not even pro football. I am not making any references to overall athletic gifts. As great as Jackson was as a college RB...he simply was not quite as great or dominant as Herschel Walker as a college RB. This position is clearly validated by a statistical comparison, as well as what my eyes told me, years ago, when Jackson first came along, some years after Herschel. At the time, my assessment on Jackson was exactly as it is today, "...**** he's good - but not as good as Herschel." I would take Herschel Walker over Bo Jackson, all day, everyday to be my college running back. Obviously, I would take Herschel over ANY of the great CFB RB's that Bama has produced under Saban. Walker is the best there ever was in the SEC - Period.

Bo is probably the greatest RB talent of all time, and had serious MLB skills. It’s a shame he chose both, as he could have been a HOF in either sport. But then, his legacy as ‘coulda been’ is what makes his legend unique.

Deion was a freak athlete at CB, maybe the greatest of all time, but wasn’t the same level of baseball player.

There is a YouTube video of Deion telling the story having to try an tackle Bo when Prime was a freshman. Its rather funny to hear him describe how that did not work out well.

First off, I am a huge fan of Bo. Second, you can't make the greatest "RB" claim - he didn't play enough to warrant that. Had he been a full time starter from the getgo and not have to share with Marcus, and played 7-8 years, then yeah, he's in the convo. But playing 3 years? Not enough to make the claim. You can certainly claim that he's the best athlete to ever play in the NFL.

Edit: here's that deion moment in tackling Bo.

LOL at praying for him

Whatever you f'ing mope.

The other video I showed the boy was Herschel Walker but I am not exactly impartial...

Henry is the ugliest bad *** runner around you are correct he is rather good. Like a human wrecking ball with wheels when necessary.
um... come again?

Advertisement
First off, I am a huge fan of Bo. Second, you can't make the greatest "RB" claim - he didn't play enough to warrant that. Had he been a full time starter from the getgo and not have to share with Marcus, and played 7-8 years, then yeah, he's in the convo. But playing 3 years? Not enough to make the claim. You can certainly claim that he's the best athlete to ever play in the NFL.

LOL at praying for him

"... he palmed my helmet, like placing his hands to pray for me, and flung me to the ground like I wasn't even there..."

😂😂😂

Got to see him as a kid play baseball live and I never really liked the sport. But he was amazing in football and knocked one into the stands that day. Amazing athlete.
I saw Bo Jackson (as a Royal) hit a ball out of Texas Ranger stadium that is still be tracked by 20 SCS*.

I have never seen an object reach escape velocity as quickly as when that ball sailed over left-center.

*Det 1 for you nerds

Herschel did not play MLB. My comments are ONLY about college football - not even pro football. I am not making any references to overall athletic gifts. As great as Jackson was as a college RB...he simply was not quite as great or dominant as Herschel Walker as a college RB. This position is clearly validated by a statistical comparison, as well as what my eyes told me, years ago, when Jackson first came along, some years after Herschel. At the time, my assessment on Jackson was exactly as it is today, "...**** he's good - but not as good as Herschel." I would take Herschel Walker over Bo Jackson, all day, everyday to be my college running back. Obviously, I would take Herschel over ANY of the great CFB RB's that Bama has produced under Saban. Walker is the best there ever was in the SEC - Period.
I know exactly what you were saying, but think of this. Had Bo actually just focused on football alone, how amazing could he have been?!?! Instead, he settled for being extraordinary in both sports.

LOL at praying for him

I said Bo may be the greatest RB talent of all time.

Of course, he did not accomplish enough to be called the greatest RB of all time.

Advertisement
Back