Blue-Chips from Florida...Where’d they sign??

Pretty **** impressive, if you ask me.

People who **** on the “off-season Manny” stuff are so comical to me. Sure, Saturday’s in the fall are the measuring stick. But the other 353 days of the year are what lead into those 12. It’s how you reach those 12. It’s as if people think programs magically appear on the field on fall Saturdays. You have to build.

For example, Alabama won the off-season. They signed the #1 class in the country. They’re the best program in the country. Wanna know how? Because they sign the best players. So this is nothing to sneeze at.

Advertisement

People who **** on the “off-season Manny” stuff are so comical to me. Sure, Saturday’s in the fall are the measuring stick. But the other 353 days of the year are what lead into those 12. It’s how you reach those 12. It’s as if people think programs magically appear on the field on fall Saturdays. You have to build.

For example, Alabama won the off-season. They BOUGHT the #1 class in the country. They’re the best program in the country. Wanna know how? Because they BUY the best players. So this is nothing to sneeze at.

F I F Y

The issue has never really been landing the players, it’s the developmental aspect once they hit campus that they stumble over themselves on a yearly basis with.

We usually get pretty good players, some years less than average, some years more than average, but that’s not really been the biggest hurdle to get over, it’s for whatever reason we end up having too many guys who either don’t live up to the billing of their star rating, or they start out hot & fizzle out by year 3-4.

The key is to get these Blue-chippers on the field & producing at a consistently excelling rate for 3 years straight. That’s what separates the Bama’s, Clemson’s, Oh ST’s etc of the world from the rest of the pack.

The issue has never really been landing the players, it’s the developmental aspect once they hit campus that they stumble over themselves on a yearly basis with.

We usually get pretty good players, some years less than average, some years more than average, but that’s not really been the biggest hurdle to get over, it’s for whatever reason we end up having too many guys who either don’t live up to the billing of their star rating, or they start out hot & fizzle out by year 3-4.

The key is to get these Blue-chippers on the field & producing at a consistently excelling rate for 3 years straight. That’s what separates the Bama’s, Clemson’s, Oh ST’s etc of the world from the rest of the pack.
You have to admit that this year was better than the last 3-4 in terms of getting the very top players to stay home. Not just 4 stars but Williams and Taylor. Its nice to get the 5 stars. We haven’t done that in a long time.

Advertisement
You have to admit that this year was better than the last 3-4 in terms of getting the very top players to stay home. Not just 4 stars but Williams and Taylor. Its nice to get the 5 stars. We haven’t done that in a long time.
I never disputed that.

My point was the process that takes place after we sign them, yes we got a very nice group of talented players, the next step is turning that talent into on field production for players that will contribute at a consistently high level during their time at Miami.

In 2018, we signed the #8 ranked class in the nation with 1 247 5-star & 2 5-stars on Rivals, but as of now from that class only 6 players from a class of 23 have been good or at least decent, with only 2 of them (Rousseau & Brevin) being draft worthy thus far.

My point is not that we don’t sign Blue-chip players, it’s that we haven’t done a good enough job developing them.

Happy for the way this years class turned out ... but... If this coming year gets back to normal then lets see how we do... If kids are allowed to travel and other teams are allowed in home visits again it could change things up.... Again I'm happy for what we got and hope it continues but we'll see how it plays out...

This cycle will be interesting, with good recruiters now for every position group on defense.

That was the knock on Shannon from some of the analysts on tv. He got good players but they never improved once they got on campus.

Advertisement

For example, Alabama won the off-season. They signed the #1 class in the country. They’re the best program in the country. Wanna know how? Because they sign the best players. So this is nothing to sneeze at.

Wait wheres Nebraska.

Oh sorry forgot kids from FL like to sign there but then realize they will be living in Lincoln for 4 years. LOL

I never disputed that.

My point was the process that takes place after we sign them, yes we got a very nice group of talented players, the next step is turning that talent into on field production for players that will contribute at a consistently high level during their time at Miami.

In 2018, we signed the #8 ranked class in the nation with 1 247 5-star & 2 5-stars on Rivals, but as of now from that class only 6 players from a class of 23 have been good or at least decent, with only 2 of them (Rousseau & Brevin) being draft worthy thus far.

My point is not that we don’t sign Blue-chip players, it’s that we haven’t done a good enough job developing them.
I don't think this is emphasized enough. I noticed in the thread about TRob and TWilliams that most were commenting about the upgrade in recruiting but it wasn't until page 7 that anyone brought up the upgrade in coaching, then it was promptly overlooked.

Another thing, I don't feel all positions are equal. We don't need superstars everywhere. Given the scheme Manny runs, it's comforting knowing we just brought in a couple of 5*s at DT and safety. Now we we can get some in the OL ...

I never disputed that.

player development has surely been lacking... and that's a direct correlation to coaching or lack thereof..... our former coaches leave UM for lesser roles at other programs, never for head coaching or coordinator positions. That lets u know how the football community views the coaches we have had.

Advertisement
player development has surely been lacking... and that's a direct correlation to coaching or lack thereof..... our former coaches leave UM for lesser roles at other programs, never for head coaching or coordinator positions. That lets u know how the football community views the coaches we have had.
And the beloved S&C coach from the 2000's just finally got promoted to interim S&C coach at FIU after three years as an assistant at a really bad G5 FBS program.

The crazy part is bama signed 6 of the top 12 players

I don’t know what’s more crazy ? That or FSU signing 2 and those guys were bottom of the list
Us, FSU and Florida got to put a stop to this baga *****! They have to be at the bottom for our boys!

Advertisement
The crazy part is bama signed 6 of the top 12 players

I don’t know what’s more crazy ? That or FSU signing 2 and those guys were bottom of the list

The crazy part is bama PAID 6 of the top 12 players.

The most important reason Alabama is the best program in the country is because they have the best Coach in the country. Blue chips mean nothing if you have a coRch in charge of them. Don’t believe me, then ask the university of Texas. Yea recruiting really well is great but we’ve been recruiting well for the last 17 years and it’s still the same result. I wonder what the “common denominator” is in the those 17 years? 🤔 smh

We’ve definitely taken a step forward in recruiting and are about to take another step forward. Hard to judge how this staff will develop players when no one but Patke has even had the opportunity to work with their players through a spring practice.

Advertisement
Back