Blue Chip Ratio

I haven't seen this thread updated for 2021 yet. Per 247, Miami is at 55% now. That puts them in the top 15 in the country, and based on the rough rule of thumb, puts them in the category of teams that can win a national title. Now interestingly, 24/7 does not yet include transfer portal players in the ratio. Admittedly it is hard to put a ranking on the transfer portal kids, but obviously some are legit four and five stars. I think if you included the transfer portals in an objective way, Miami would now be around 60%. I'm including TS, King, Bubba, but maybe not Rambo and the others.

The point is, coach Manny has really elevated the talent level on this team since he's been here. We aren't quite there yet, but the talent and the coaching should be there now so there should be no more excuses. (Other than Alabama)

Advertisement
One aspect to me is the BC ratio. Then there is development of said blue chip talent. I think 2021 is the first time in quite a long while where we are not only gathering elite talent and depth; but the kids will now receive proper development to improve as they mature in performance and age. That’s the thing that excites me the most regarding not only the BC ratio but players improving as well.

The point is, coach Manny has really elevated the talent level on this team since he's been here. We aren't quite there yet, but the talent and the coaching should be there now so there should be no more excuses. (Other than Alabama)
Well said. And the biggest key is the improvement at QB.

We've had blue-chippers before, but I don't think we've had a room as promising as this one in the past twenty years. Hopefully, they continue to do the right things on and off the field.

we either have the worst luck or evaluations with 4 stars, until we see 4 -5 stars become top 3 round picks in the nfl at UM this stat is useless

Advertisement
I haven't seen this thread updated for 2021 yet. Per 247, Miami is at 55% now. That puts them in the top 15 in the country, and based on the rough rule of thumb, puts them in the category of teams that can win a national title. Now interestingly, 24/7 does not yet include transfer portal players in the ratio. Admittedly it is hard to put a ranking on the transfer portal kids, but obviously some are legit four and five stars. I think if you included the transfer portals in an objective way, Miami would now be around 60%. I'm including TS, King, Bubba, but maybe not Rambo and the others.

Cmon this is meaningless.

All that matters this season is what Coker and Shannon did when these players were in diapers.

Too many guys have been fooled before and they aren’t falling for it again.

We've had blue-chippers before, but I don't think we've had a room as promising as this one in the past twenty years. Hopefully, they continue to do the right things on and off the field.
Knock that blue-chip ratio down by about 10% effectiveness if you do not have legit talent at the most important position on the team, QB. We just have not had it until now.

I think it starts with blue chippers, but the number of 5 stars seem to be the real differentiators between teams that are competitive for conference championships and teams that are competitive for national championships. It looks like the magic number is around 7. Below that number, there doesn't seem to be a realistic shot at winning a championship. The one exception might be if you have lower star players who have developed and are projected as first round or early second round picks (2 stars like Zion Nelson, 3 stars like Rosseau) as you may be able to infer that they have similar game changing ability as 5 star players.

I think it starts with blue chippers, but the number of 5 stars seem to be the real differentiators between teams that are competitive for conference championships and teams that are competitive for national championships. It looks like the magic number is around 7. Below that number, there doesn't seem to be a realistic shot at winning a championship. The one exception might be if you have lower star players who have developed and are projected as first round or early second round picks (2 stars like Zion Nelson, 3 stars like Rosseau) as you may be able to infer that they have similar game changing ability as 5 star players.
I'd have to look at the number of five stars on the recent champions, but that sounds about right to me too. If you can average 2.5 five stars per recruiting season, including through the portal, then you should be right there with the big boys.

Advertisement
I'd have to look at the number of five stars on the recent champions, but that sounds about right to me too. If you can average 2.5 five stars per recruiting season, including through the portal, then you should be right there with the big boys.

I think it is a realistic goal to try to average two 5 stars per class (which can include portal). Doesn't even have to be top 6 class nationally. If Miami adds two 5 stars per year then at any given time we should have a minimum of six 5 stars on the rooster and occasionally may have 7 or 8 (which is when the team should make a serious run at the title).

If you look at the playoff teams the last few years, the lowest by far was Notre Dame last year, which I think had only 2 5-stars (which is why I think Kelly is an underrated coach, he achieved more with fewer five stars than several other teams) . ND didn't look to be anywhere near the caliber of the other playoff teams but credit to them for getting in.

Last edited:
Cmon this is meaningless.

All that matters this season is what Coker and Shannon did when these players were in diapers.

Too many guys have been fooled before and they aren’t falling for it again.
Keep on mocking.

Advertisement
Back