Bleak Vern's bumped opinion on Wiggins and Pope from earlier this year

blackvern

All-ACC
Banned
Might have missed some things but here is what I gathered without looking back at the film

D. King - He played a great game, they tried us by playing man everywhere on the field and our sorry *** WR's finally made some plays agianst this ****** secondary. King had 3 drops and two under thrown balls one to, Pope and one to WIggins (both couldve been TD's), he's a little late on some deep throws but thats nitpicking. He made some great runs and great decisions. Grade 95% A

Cam Harris-
Not really impressed by him, takes too long to get going and is stiff as ****. Showed some patience on some of those runs against the 3 man line and bounced a few outiside like Leveon Bell use to do at PIttsbugh. Looks like that is a new point of emphasis. Played Ok but dont think hes better then DJ Dallas or Travis Homer. Grade 70% C-

Dee Wiggins-
Worst Starting WR that we have had at UM that I can remember. Listed at 6'3 but plays like he's 5'9 and hes physically weak. I dont wanna hear about the bomb he caught looks like he was fighting the ball. He has no wiggle and is a subpar athlete with the ball. He can create separation but is too weak in other areas needs to hit the weight room to become serviceable Grade C 75%

Mark Pope-
Gaining confidence and I like how he comes back to the ball, still too soft for me and he has weak hands as you can tell from the drop. I can work with him tho but he has to get stronger or he will be a JAG. Great game today tho he is learning to go get the ball in the air (DO you hear me WIggins?) I have a feelin he only played well because NC States secondary is horrible. Grade A- 90%

Mallory-
To be fair I think that knee brace is hindeirng him, he is not 100%, has good hands but seems to has lost the suddeness i saw from him last year. Brevin turns that 12 yard catch into a 40 yarder, He doesnt play big when the ball is in the air somebody needs to remind him hes' 6'5 245. thats the 3rd jump ball this year that he didnt attack in the air. But he has improved his blocking big time, but leaves a little be desired as a starting TE. Idk maybe Im spoiled. The OC designed great plays for him and he made the most of his targets. Grade B 85%

Mike harley-
Hasnt dropped a ball in a few games and is becoming the senior WR we all thought he could be. If he continues this play thos well the rest of the season he can continue to work his way up NFL draft boards and get drafted higher then the 6th or 7th round. He has stepped up to the plate Happy for him. Grade 100% A+

Zion Nelson-
Man he is playing much better then last year, didnt hear his name that is a grade A for me at LT.

Defense

Nesta- The boy was flat out dominate, he was looking like Gerald WIllis out there best game of his career. Grade A 97%

J. Phillips-
A solid game dominated against the run but wasnt as disruptive on passing downs> I fell with his talent he should have made more of an impact. I have the eerie feeling hes gonna be a better pro then college player. Its his 1st year back from what 2 years off? Didnt dominate as much as I thought he would, but was solid Grade 82% B

Roche-
Had a few QB hits but was mostly shut down. If you didnt know who LT #79 is we do now. He completely destroyed Roche. I had to go look him up hes only a sophomore and is considered one of the best O lineman in the ACC. There will be better nights for Roche. Grade 60% D

Linebackers as a group-
Didnt make one play today, #44 is only good when sending on a blitz or run blitz, he has no explosion and is limited athletically when trying to read and React. #6 didnt make any plays nor did #53. I dont understand why Steed doesnt play more he has more linebacker instincts then anybody. This postiion needs a total revamping, very disappointing. Im about to scream for #34 to get more PT Grade F 0.0%

Bolden-
He must be hurt, because this doesnt look like the same Bubba Bolden I saw the first 5 weeks of the season where I crowned him as the best safety since Kenny Phillips, He looks slower, less physical, less aggressive, out of position, missing tackles left and right. Something is up with him im sure of it. Grade 60% D

Amari Carter-
He played the best in the secondary, he was flying around making tackles, wish he was better in the air making plays on the ball, but he is what he is a prototypical SS, hes going to get drafted. Thankfully he stayed in the game hes our best tackler and takes the best angles on the ballcarrier. Grade 85% B

DJ Ivey-
I am out of sticks talking about this guy, he's a JAG he has no professional future in football. Yea he got that deflection for the intbut Hes horrible in zone and in man. He reminds me of those wacky waving inflatable air tube men that you see outside of used car dealerships. Moving and flailing his arms around all in ya face but aint doing ****. Hoping he turns it up his senior year and his experience of playing the same teams will allow to make a play because this year aint it. Grade 65% D

Al Blades-
Got ate up a few times by Emezie and he is a good college WR but not a top draft pick. Blades should match up better with these types of Wr's that are his size. If he can't he wont make it in the league. Didnt make a play all game Grade 50% F

Tecory Couch-
continues to make plays in his limited minutes. Love this guy Grade 100% A

Shoutout to #22 Cameron Willaims who ran down the RB on the side lines, hes gonna be good

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Agree with you on Wiggs, he made plays yesterday but he looks like he's fighting the ball when he catches is, he has no smoothness at all & he doesn't play big one bit, I don't think I've ever even seen him jump for a ball, he plays with his feet glued to the ground.

Mallory is doing a very good job in the absence of Brevin, he catches most of his targets & he's getting us TD's in the Red Zone, I'd give him an A grade.

Coming back here to post now that FSU is in the toilet? Can't argue with your assessment though.

Advertisement
Might have missed some things but here is what I gathered without looking back at the film

D. King - He played a great game, they tried us by playing man everywhere on the field and our sorry *** WR's finally made some plays agianst this ****** secondary. King had 3 drops and two under thrown balls one to, Pope and one to WIggins (both couldve been TD's), he's a little late on some deep throws but thats nitpicking. He made some great runs and great decisions. Grade 95% A++

Cam Harris-
Not really impressed by him, takes too long to get going and is stiff as ****. Showed some patience on some of those runs against the 3 man line and bounced a few outiside like Leveon Bell use to do at PIttsbugh. Looks like that is a new point of emphasis. Played Ok but dont think hes better then DJ Dallas or Travis Homer. Grade 70% C-

Dee Wiggins-
Worst Starting WR that we have had at UM that I can remember. Listed at 6'3 but plays like he's 5'9 and hes physically weak. I dont wanna hear about the bomb he caught looks like he was fighting the ball. He has no wiggle and is a subpar athlete with the ball. He can create separation but is too weak in other areas needs to hit the weight room to become serviceable Grade C 75%

Mark Pope-
Gaining confidence and I like how he comes back to the ball, still too soft for me and he has weak hands as you can tell from the drop. I can work with him tho but he has to get stronger or he will be a JAG. Great game today tho he is learning to go get the ball in the air (DO you hear me WIggins?) I have a feelin he only played well because NC States secondary is horrible. Grade A- 90%

Mallory-
To be fair I think that knee brace is hindeirng him, he is not 100%, has good hands but seems to has lost the suddeness i saw from him last year. Brevin turns that 12 yard catch into a 40 yarder, He doesnt play big when the ball is in the air somebody needs to remind him hes' 6'5 245. thats the 3rd jump ball this year that he didnt attack in the air. But he has improved his blocking big time, but leaves a little be desired as a starting TE. Idk maybe Im spoiled. The OC designed great plays for him and he made the most of his targets. Grade B 85%

Mike harley-
Hasnt dropped a ball in a few games and is becoming the senior WR we all thought he could be. If he continues this play thos well the rest of the season he can continue to work his way up NFL draft boards and get drafted higher then the 6th or 7th round. He has stepped up to the plate Happy for him. Grade 100% A+

Zion Nelson-
Man he is playing much better then last year, didnt hear his name that is a grade A for me at LT.

Defense

Nesta- The boy was flat out dominate, he was looking like Gerald WIllis out there best game of his career. Grade A 97%

J. Phillips-
A solid game dominated against the run but wasnt as disruptive on passing downs> I fell with his talent he should have made more of an impact. I have the eerie feeling hes gonna be a better pro then college player. Its his 1st year back from what 2 years off? Didnt dominate as much as I thought he would, but was solid Grade 82% B

Roche-
Had a few QB hits but was mostly shut down. If you didnt know who LT #79 is we do now. He completely destroyed Roche. I had to go look him up hes only a sophomore and is considered one of the best O lineman in the ACC. There will be better nights for Roche. Grade 60% D

Linebackers as a group-
Didnt make one play today, #44 is only good when sending on a blitz or run blitz, he has no explosion and is limited athletically when trying to read and React. #6 didnt make any plays nor did #53. I dont understand why Steed doesnt play more he has more linebacker instincts then anybody. This postiion needs a total revamping, very disappointing. Im about to scream for #34 to get more PT Grade F 0.0%

Bolden-
He must be hurt, because this doesnt look like the same Bubba Bolden I saw the first 5 weeks of the season where I crowned him as the best safety since Kenny Phillips, He looks slower, less physical, less aggressive, out of position, missing tackles left and right. Something is up with him im sure of it. Grade 60% D

Amari Carter-
He played the best in the secondary, he was flying around making tackles, wish he was better in the air making plays on the ball, but he is what he is a prototypical SS, hes going to get drafted. Thankfully he stayed in the game hes our best tackler and takes the best angles on the ballcarrier. Grade 85% B

DJ Ivey-
I am out of sticks talking about this guy, he's a JAG he has no professional future in football. Yea he got that deflection for the intbut Hes horrible in zone and in man. He reminds me of those wacky waving inflatable air tube men that you see outside of used car dealerships. Moving and flailing his arms around all in ya face but aint doing ****. Hoping he turns it up his senior year and his experience of playing the same teams will allow to make a play because this year aint it. Grade 65% D

Al Blades-
Got ate up a few times by Emezie and he is a good college WR but not a top draft pick. Blades should match up better with these types of Wr's that are his size. If he can't he wont make it in the league. Didnt make a play all game Grade 50% F

Tecory Couch-

Shoutout to #22 Cameron Willaims who ran down the RB on the side lines, hes gonna be good
FIFY but great grades otherwise

D. King - He played a great game, they tried us by playing man everywhere on the field and our sorry *** WR's finally made some plays agianst this ****** secondary. King had 3 drops and two under thrown balls one to, Pope and one to WIggins (both couldve been TD's), he's a little late on some deep throws but thats nitpicking. He made some great runs and great decisions. Grade 95% A

Cam Harris-

Dee Wiggins-

Mark Pope-

Mallory-

Mike harley-

Zion Nelson-

Defense

J. Phillips-

Roche-

Linebackers as a group-

Bolden-

Amari Carter-

DJ Ivey-

Al Blades-

Tecory Couch-

Nice grading except you graded Pope higher than Mallory? That smells of favoritism.

McCloud, Jennings and Steed COMBINED for 10 tackles.... do not think any other LB had a tackle.

Advertisement

Cam Harris-

Dee Wiggins-

Mark Pope-

Mallory-

Mike harley-

Zion Nelson-

Defense

J. Phillips-

Roche-

Linebackers as a group-

Bolden-

Amari Carter-

DJ Ivey-

Al Blades-

Tecory Couch-

Was it tough watching that young man quarterback the NCST team when he should be doing big things for FSU?

King completely put the team on his back and won this game for us. Maybe best QB performance at UM I've seen since joining UM in 2007

31-41 430 yards 5 TD 104 yards rushing w/ 3 drops (Wiggs, Pope, Cam SMH). Coulda ran for another TD at the end to pat the stats for 6 TDs but made the SMART play to go down and end the game. Shieet whens the last time you saw a Miami player make a truly smart play like that?

A ******* +

Blown away that an F$U fan spends this much time on such a thing.

Advertisement
Agree with you on Wiggs, he made plays yesterday but he looks like he's fighting the ball when he catches is, he has no smoothness at all & he doesn't play big one bit, I don't think I've ever even seen him jump for a ball, he plays with his feet glued to the ground.

Mallory is doing a very good job in the absence of Brevin, he catches most of his targets & he's getting us TD's in the Red Zone, I'd give him an A grade.
Even though he drew that PI, it was a very weak looking sequence for him when he could have made a play on the ball

Rumph has to move on. That group is mailing it in right now. Bolden likely has hit the wall. Blades is enigma, clearly not bringing a big effort because he's a good player. Two exceptions, Frierson and Couch.

Cam Harris- Not really impressed
Dee Wiggins- Worst Starting WR that we have had at UM that I can remember. Listed at 6'3 but plays like he's 5'9 and hes physically weak. I dont wanna hear about the bomb he caught looks like he was fighting the ball. He has no wiggle and is a subpar athlete with the ball. He can create separation but is too weak in other areas needs to hit the weight room to become serviceable Grade C 75%

Mark Pope-
Gaining confidence and I like how he comes back to the ball, still too soft for me and he has weak hands as you can tell from the drop. I can work with him tho but he has to get stronger or he will be a JAG. Great game today tho he is learning to go get the ball in the air (DO you hear me WIggins?) I have a feelin he only played well because NC States secondary is horrible. Grade A-
Bump my opinions on these two JAGS

Advertisement
Back