Bleacher Report: Ranking the Top 10 Contenders for the 2021 College Football Playoff

anandris

Recruit

There’s no way the Canes make the list right?...

Loop Trump GIF

10. Miami Hurricanes​

1 OF 10

1. Miami QB D'Eriq King

Miami QB D'Eriq KingJohn Raoux/Associated Press
    Miami is very likely going to open the season 0-1. Not only are the Hurricanes facing Alabama (in Atlanta), but they're going to do so with a backup quarterback or a starting quarterback who is barely eight months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL.
    Put it this way: If D'Eriq King leads them to a win in that game, we might as well end the Heisman Trophy debate right then and there, because it would be one of the most memorable regular-season results in recent history.
    But even with that presumed loss, Miami will have at least a faint playoff pulse.
    The Hurricanes should be the second-best team in the ACC, and they won't have to play the best team—Clemson, in case that's not obvious—during the regular season. Unless Florida State takes a big step forward or unless North Carolina remains a New Year's Six-caliber team despite losing its top four skill-position players, Miami very well could finish the regular season on an 11-game winning streak.
    The Canes might need to do that just for the right to face the Tigers in the ACC Championship Game, though, which would be rough.
    How it boils down: Miami needs to beat Alabama or Clemson—and avoid a letdown in the three months in between—to have a shot at the playoff. The Hurricanes might be one of the 10 best teams in the country next year, but that is a challenging mandate.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement

There’s no way the Canes make the list right?...

Loop Trump GIF

10. Miami Hurricanes​

1 OF 10

1. Miami QB D'Eriq King'Eriq King

Miami QB D'Eriq KingJohn Raoux/Associated Press
    Miami is very likely going to open the season 0-1. Not only are the Hurricanes facing Alabama (in Atlanta), but they're going to do so with a backup quarterback or a starting quarterback who is barely eight months removed from surgery to repair a torn ACL.
    Put it this way: If D'Eriq King leads them to a win in that game, we might as well end the Heisman Trophy debate right then and there, because it would be one of the most memorable regular-season results in recent history.
    But even with that presumed loss, Miami will have at least a faint playoff pulse.
    The Hurricanes should be the second-best team in the ACC, and they won't have to play the best team—Clemson, in case that's not obvious—during the regular season. Unless Florida State takes a big step forward or unless North Carolina remains a New Year's Six-caliber team despite losing its top four skill-position players, Miami very well could finish the regular season on an 11-game winning streak.
    The Canes might need to do that just for the right to face the Tigers in the ACC Championship Game, though, which would be rough.
    How it boils down: Miami needs to beat Alabama or Clemson—and avoid a letdown in the three months in between—to have a shot at the playoff. The Hurricanes might be one of the 10 best teams in the country next year, but that is a challenging mandate.
Superbowl or bust

Advertisement
Our defense is not the one that shut out Duke and it’s not the one that got blown out by UNC. We’re somewhere in the middle.

We will be better next year across the board with the exception of DE.

We have as good a chance as anyone else.

Advertisement
If you thought our defense was bad last year, wait until you see the 2021 version

Very minimal reason to think it’ll be worse unless you’re just a crybaby. The edge spot for sure needs to have someone (two guys?) step up, but I’d estimate 80%+ of the snaps return. A few of the young kids looked good. We’ve been hearing about the young DTs for a while. If you think the defense won’t be much better, I won’t argue with you. Same coordinator and losing the 2 edge kids can give you that argument. But the dramatic whining that it’s going to fall off a cliff after already falling off the mountain is quite feminine.

I appreciate the write up by a national site but I am not buying into anything...not happening this offseason, they won't get me again. Manny's offseason hype train isn't doing it to me.

Well....

No

Advertisement
Very minimal reason to think it’ll be worse unless you’re just a crybaby. The edge spot for sure needs to have someone (two guys?) step up, but I’d estimate 80%+ of the snaps return. A few of the young kids looked good. We’ve been hearing about the young DTs for a while. If you think the defense won’t be much better, I won’t argue with you. Same coordinator and losing the 2 edge kids can give you that argument. But the dramatic whining that it’s going to fall off a cliff after already falling off the mountain is quite feminine.

Lol @ quite feminine.

Advertisement
Back