Bleacher Report Article: Al Golden's Loyalty to Staff...

Advertisement
Nick Saban hired Bill Miller and Michigan State's defense went from #55 to #12 in total defense and from #50 to #22 in scoring defense in 1999. Miami's problem truly was due to playing a lot of kids in 1997 and 1998. By 1999 Nate Webster, Dan Morgan, Damione Lewis, etc. were rolling into upperclassman status.

Again, not a defense of the current DC, but every time I read about Bill Miller the article forgets to add the Paul Harvey, rests of the story.

Chafie Fields currents with the aggressive team.

and the other side to that story is Bill Miller was left behind @ Michigan St. when Saban went to LSU and eventually got fired with the rest of the MSU staff a couple years later. Miller has never again worked with Saban, which is also telling.

Not only that, but his career trajectory since has been decidedly downward. He's now a DL coach for Minnesota. Guy just wasn't a good DC.

So what? The point is Miami's defense was clearly young in 1998. As bad as Miller was perceived, he took over a Michigan State defense that greatly improved. Miller is doing just fine at Minnesota as Associate Head Coach.

willing to bet saban was still at a point in his career when he was a micromanager...miller was probably more of a consultant than anything...speaks volumes that he never worked with him again

Isn't kevin Patrick available as well? He cranked out some stud d lineman during him time at USF.

I, along with everyone else, don't think Golden will dump D'Onofrio. I think Jethro Franklin will be the fall guy. However, when facing pressure after last signing day that he couldn't recruit South Florida, Golden wasn't stubborn/stupid, did listen to the criticism, apparently agreed with it (to whatever degree) and hired three strong South Florida recruiters/coaches with strong ties to the region: James Coley, Hurlie Brown and Larry Scott. That's different than firing the best man in your wedding (who is running things the way you want them run), but it does give me a ray of hope.

Advertisement
Isn't kevin Patrick available as well? He cranked out some stud d lineman during him time at USF.

Instant upgrade but the name I want is Tosh Lupoi

Here is Kevin Patrick...

Since he was let go by USF, Patrick not returned to coaching. He lives in Tampa and spends plenty of time with his family and has reconnected with old friends, a near-impossibility during his years coaching. A new favorite activity is coming to West Palm Beach to watch his alma mater Forest Hill play, especially since his nephew, Shannon Patrick, is the starting quarterback.

Patrick said he isn’t one to predict the future – “especially when it comes to business and family” – but he plans to return to the sidelines eventually. He keeps in contact with his friends in the business and knows something will open up. It always does.

“Oh, I’m going to coach. I’m going to coach one way or the other,” he said. “I’m always talking to those guys. They’re my friends – some of them anyway.”

http://blogs.palmbeachpost.com/cane...rick-offers-perspective/#sthash.g1HC2SAg.dpuf

Nick Saban hired Bill Miller and Michigan State's defense went from #55 to #12 in total defense and from #50 to #22 in scoring defense in 1999. Miami's problem truly was due to playing a lot of kids in 1997 and 1998. By 1999 Nate Webster, Dan Morgan, Damione Lewis, etc. were rolling into upperclassman status.

Again, not a defense of the current DC, but every time I read about Bill Miller the article forgets to add the Paul Harvey, rests of the story.

Chafie Fields currents with the aggressive team.

and the other side to that story is Bill Miller was left behind @ Michigan St. when Saban went to LSU and eventually got fired with the rest of the MSU staff a couple years later. Miller has never again worked with Saban, which is also telling.

Not only that, but his career trajectory since has been decidedly downward. He's now a DL coach for Minnesota. Guy just wasn't a good DC.

So what? The point is Miami's defense was clearly young in 1998. As bad as Miller was perceived, he took over a Michigan State defense that greatly improved. Miller is doing just fine at Minnesota as Associate Head Coach.

willing to bet saban was still at a point in his career when he was a micromanager...miller was probably more of a consultant than anything...speaks volumes that he never worked with him again

And then Saban wouldn't give Stoutland a raise so he split for the Beagles. Saban isn't an easy guy to work for that's for sure.

Advertisement
Back