Blast Away

Izundu, Reggie johnson, jekiri, **** even Gamble would EAT OUR CURRENT BIGS LUNCH.... I’m talking every single possession “Mouse in the house”

Advertisement
We’ve beaten Purdue, Louisville, and Duke (and played Clemson and VT basically even) - so either you say this team has some legit talent or you say coach L is a genius who gets his guys to play way above their heads. Can’t have it both ways.
don't know about Purdue: but these have to be the worst Louisville, Duke teams I seen in years. Really the whole ACC is really a bad league outside of FSU who seemed legitimate :

I couldn’t disagree more there. Brooks, Gak, and Miller is a group of 5’s that you can absolutely win with. None of them are great players, but as a rotation, they can run, defend, rim protect, and - as even Gak has shown the last 2 games - get some points in the point.

Then with Sam as a stretch 4 and Walker as a traditional 4... we had a heck of a front court rotation for Coach L to deploy situationally to create favorable matchups.

Anyone who didn’t think the roster gave miami a great chance to compete this year just doesn’t know basketball. And objective results bear that out... because even with a crazy depleted roster which has completely destroyed the rotations needed to create more favorable matchups, we’ve still beaten Purdue, Duke, and Louisville.
You had a healthy Miller and Waardenburg in 2019-2020. Miller played 24 minutes per game and Sam play 28 minutes per game. We were outrebounded an average 4 per game. Stone was playing a lot of minutes by then as well. You had a healthy Lykes and a healthy DJ and McGusty. We went 5-11 our last 16 games and finished 15-16, 7-13.

Last edited:
Jek
Izundu, Reggie johnson, jekiri, **** even Gamble would EAT OUR CURRENT BIGS LUNCH.... I’m talking every single possession “Mouse in the house”
Jekiri had Murphy his senior. Then Murphy had Huell. Izundu had Huell. All these kids were legit P5 players. Too bad Gak had knee issues.

BTW, Reggie's production went down with Kadji and Gamble came back after redshirting. That was a **** of a front court. Quite frankly if Scott and Larkin weren't screwed up we probably beat Marquette.

Advertisement
You had a healthy Miller and Waardenburg in 2019-2020. Miller played 24 minutes per game and Sam play 28 minutes per game. We were outrebounded an average 4 per game. Stone was playing a lot of minutes by then as well. You had a healthy Lykes and a healthy DJ and McGusty. We went 5-11 our last 16 games and finished 15-16, 7-13.

Not sure what you’re trying to say here, but generally under Coach L players - especially bigs - have gotten better as they have gotten older.

I fully expect - just as Gak has demonstrated tremendous progress just this season alone - that Miller 2021 would have been better than Miller 2020 and Sam 2021 would have been better than Sam 2020... and so on.

Not to mention that Miller was always and only going to be a depth piece this year. A valuable depth piece - because 7 footers off the bench are always valuable - but a depth piece nonetheless.

Well yeah, except all of our bigs are already juniors or seniors. They've hit their ceilings.

We may never know. He could've had a Julian Gamble like senior season, or he could've had a Donavan Kirk like senior season.

Gak did surprise me, but that was one good game out of the whole season for him

No, but it played into why we lost to FGCU, BC, ND, and Wake.
I agree with you. Our program is in deep :****: if it's waiting on the bigs to become seniors so we can get 1 year of production out of them to say they were good players. If we're not getting at least 2-3 solid years of production from our players then we're in trouble. Not sure where some of these people come up with their rationale. LOL!!

Not sure what you’re trying to say here, but generally under Coach L players - especially bigs - have gotten better as they have gotten older.

I fully expect - just as Gak has demonstrated tremendous progress just this season alone - that Miller 2021 would have been better than Miller 2020 and Sam 2021 would have been better than Sam 2020... and so on.

Not to mention that Miller was always and only going to be a depth piece this year. A valuable depth piece - because 7 footers off the bench are always valuable - but a depth piece nonetheless.
Before his injury, Miller was playing 5 minutes per game. Against Stetson, he played 11 minutes without a rebound or a point. Nice kid but he was not going to improve. You have no idea if Waardenberg was going to improve. Brooks is serviceable. We continue to get killed on the boards.

Buddy, if Gak is as good as you think or if he's developed as much as you're saying, do you think for a minute that Coach L would be pushing him out? This staff has recruited 2 productive bigs since 2012 -- Tonye and Dewan. That's it. All these other names you're mentioning either haven't produced or aren't bigs.

Advertisement
Buddy, if Gak is as good as you think or if he's developed as much as you're saying, do you think for a minute that Coach L would be pushing him out? This staff has recruited 2 productive bigs since 2012 -- Tonye and Dewan. That's it. All these other names you're mentioning either haven't produced or aren't bigs.
Izundu had a nice junior year as a role player and a nice senior season as a starter.

Regardless, we have no 4s or 5s moving forward other than Walker.

Izundu had a nice junior year as a role player and a nice senior season as a starter.

Regardless, we have no 4s or 5s moving forward other than Walker.
I agree that Izundu was good for us his senior year, but he was pretty much non-existent his first 3 years at Miami. Just goes back to what I said earlier, if we're not getting at least 2-3 years of solid production from a HS signee (unless they go pro early) then I don't consider them good signings. Top programs don't bring in kids to sit 3 years in hopes of getting production out of them their senior year.

I agree that Izundu was good for us his senior year, but he was pretty much non-existent his first 3 years at Miami. Just goes back to what I said earlier, if we're not getting at least 2-3 years of solid production from a HS signee (unless they go pro early) then I don't consider them good signings. Top programs don't bring in kids to sit 3 years in hopes of getting production out of them their senior year.
You can afford to do that if you have a full roster. You can take a flyer or maybe 2 to develop, but you better be able to get 10 minutes from the kid without him being a complete liability. Who is backing up Walker next year? He is still a huge work in progress. He goes down and then what?

You can afford to do that if you have a full roster. You can take a flyer or maybe 2 to develop, but you better be able to get 10 minutes from the kid without him being a complete liability. Who is backing up Walker next year? He is still a huge work in progress. He goes down and then what?
Miami is in no position to take flyers at this point in time. This roster is in shambles and the staff continues to just sit on their hands instead of getting talent to Coral Gables. I can't believe we don't have a 2021 big in the fold yet. Like wtf is this staff doing?

:snoopfacepalm:

Advertisement
Miami is in no position to take flyers at this point in time. This roster is in shambles and the staff continues to just sit on their hands instead of getting talent to Coral Gables. I can't believe we don't have a 2021 big in the fold yet. Like wtf is this staff doing?

:snoopfacepalm:
We're going to play 5 guard lineups all season and L's new excuse will be we aren't tall enough to rebound or defend inside. Just wait for it!

Gak has had one or two good games all year. He's usually a liability out there.

Miller actually looked WORSE than last season before getting hurt. He's just not an ACC talent.

Sam may have been better, but the bottom line is our frontcourt recruiting post Dewan has been completely non-existent. This is why we're in the position we're in for next season and beyond.

Advertisement
Back