Blast Away

AmherstCane

Recruit
But this would have been a really good team with everyone healthy - or even 1 major injury.

It’s sad and hard and frustrating to watch - and it seems as if there has to be some issue at the training level - but this was a really good team going into the year.

Other than what’s happening in the training room, Cross is the most legitimate coaching ? of the year.

As long as Coach L holds onto the locker room (and those who should come back do), this team will be a contender next year.

Advertisement
But this would have been a really good team with everyone healthy - or even 1 major injury.

It’s sad and hard and frustrating to watch - and it seems as if there has to be some issue at the training level - but this was a really good team going into the year.

Other than what’s happening in the training room, Cross is the most legitimate coaching ? of the year.

As long as Coach L holds onto the locker room (and those who should come back do), this team will be a contender next year.
I have to disagree with you here but on paper, this was NOT a good team going into the year. We've got 1 maybe 2 guys (Lykes and Wong) on the roster who could start at most of the other ACC teams. Rest of the roster is comprised of guys who probably would get very little to no PT in the ACC. Cross may have been the exception to that after a few games under his belt. But again, going into the season we weren't going to be very good with injuries or no injuries.

As far as next year is concerned, it's going to be tough to be legitimate contenders in the ACC without some depth and quality play from a big man.

Did I see Matt Cross at the game? I think he was in the bench area ... what gives?

I have to disagree with you here but on paper, this was NOT a good team going into the year. We've got 1 maybe 2 guys (Lykes and Wong) on the roster who could start at most of the other ACC teams. Rest of the roster is comprised of guys who probably would get very little to no PT in the ACC. Cross may have been the exception to that after a few games under his belt. But again, going into the season we weren't going to be very good with injuries or no injuries.

As far as next year is concerned, it's going to be tough to be legitimate contenders in the ACC without some depth and quality play from a big man.

We’ve beaten Purdue, Louisville, and Duke (and played Clemson and VT basically even) - so either you say this team has some legit talent or you say coach L is a genius who gets his guys to play way above their heads. Can’t have it both ways.

We’ve beaten Purdue, Louisville, and Duke (and played Clemson and VT basically even) - so either you say this team has some legit talent or you say coach L is a genius who gets his guys to play way above their heads. Can’t have it both ways.
Don't forget UNC. This team is better injury luck away from being a solid top 30 team.

Advertisement
Don't forget UNC. This team is better injury luck away from being a solid top 30 team.
I said it in the game thread, but it's almost like this team only gets up to play when we are playing a ranked team and/or a "big name" opponent. Our best performances have come against the better teams/big names on the schedule: Duke, UNC, Clemson, VT, Louisville, Purdue. While our worst performances have come against the bottom feeders on the schedule: FGCU, ND, Wake, BC. Syracuse is pretty meh as well.

I said it in the game thread, but it's almost like this team only gets up to play when we are playing a ranked team and/or a "big name" opponent. Our best performances have come against the better teams/big names on the schedule: Duke, UNC, Clemson, VT, Louisville, Purdue. While our worst performances have come against the bottom feeders on the schedule: FGCU, ND, Wake, BC. Syracuse is pretty meh as well.

There’s a couple of different contributing factors:
1) Offensive philosophy (there’s a reason Coach L has a better record against Duke than FGCU);
1a) We can’t beat a great zone D team without making shots.
2) Matchups - losing Sam really hurt our rotations... then coupled with McGusty and Timberlake injuries;
3) Emotional and Physical Fatigue - when you’re tired and short handed it’s easier to underperform in “regular” games.

We were picked 6th or 7th pre-season in the ACC (out of 15 teams).

There is always an excuse with Coach L. It is time to quit making excuses for him. What has he done to deserve to stay? In the last 3 years we have not been very good. How much longer do we wait? Does anyone really think it will get any better with him in charge? Who would want to come play for us now?

“You are what your record says you are.” Bill Parcells

Advertisement

I don't think I've ever said that Coach L is a bad coach. I don't think the man forgot basketball from one day to another. I think him and his staff have done a bad job of recruiting over the last few years, particularly at the PG and post positions.

I don't think I've ever said that Coach L is a bad coach. I don't think the man forgot basketball from one day to another. I think him and his staff have done a bad job of recruiting over the last few years, particularly at the PG and post positions.

I couldn’t disagree more there. Brooks, Gak, and Miller is a group of 5’s that you can absolutely win with. None of them are great players, but as a rotation, they can run, defend, rim protect, and - as even Gak has shown the last 2 games - get some points in the point.

Then with Sam as a stretch 4 and Walker as a traditional 4... we had a heck of a front court rotation for Coach L to deploy situationally to create favorable matchups.

Anyone who didn’t think the roster gave miami a great chance to compete this year just doesn’t know basketball. And objective results bear that out... because even with a crazy depleted roster which has completely destroyed the rotations needed to create more favorable matchups, we’ve still beaten Purdue, Duke, and Louisville.

Advertisement
I couldn’t disagree more there. Brooks, Gak, and Miller is a group of 5’s that you can absolutely win with. None of them are great players, but as a rotation, they can run, defend, rim protect, and - as even Gak has shown the last 2 games - get some points in the point.

Then with Sam as a stretch 4 and Walker as a traditional 4... we had a heck of a front court rotation for Coach L to deploy situationally to create favorable matchups.

Anyone who didn’t think the roster gave miami a great chance to compete this year just doesn’t know basketball. And objective results bear that out... because even with a crazy depleted roster which has completely destroyed the rotations needed to create more favorable matchups, we’ve still beaten Purdue, Duke, and Louisville.

This staff has done an absolute horrible job of recruiting bigs. The fact Coach L is pushing Gak and Miller to leave just supports my statement. Brooks could get some minutes of PT on most ACC teams and may even start for 1 or 2 programs. Gak and Miller on the other hand probably aren't good enough to make any team in the ACC. If Miami were a top 25 team, a guy like Brooks would be coming off the bench and players like Gak and Miller would only play in blowouts. You look at the roster of other top teams in the ACC or from around the country and there are players coming off their bench who would start for us. This has to change in order for us to get back to the upper echelon of teams in the ACC.

It's hilarious how anyone can think this is a formidable roster to compete at a high level of major college basketball.

How can Miami have a great chance to compete with 1 PG on the roster and 1 contributing big?

And for the record Sam and Walker are more 3s than they are 4s. You could probably get away with playing Walker at the 4 some, but I don't think Sam rebounds or defends well enough to give extended minutes for a winning team at the 4.

C'mon guy, try being a little objective. This roster has 3-4 ACC caliber players. The rest are low to mid major basketball level players, at best.

GO CANES!!!

Last edited:
Advertisement

Yea idk. The only guy who consistently shows up is Wong. If Lykes and McGusty were healthy all year there's no doubt we'd be better. But our bigs are still bad, no matter what. But if you watch last night's game and the Louisville game the energy and effort on defense and the boards is night and day from most games. It's like when shots are falling they're inspired to play defense. Otherwise no.

I thought this post was sarcastic. Miller was unplayable last year defensively. Sam has a fair performance maybe one out of every 5 or so games. Other than that he’s pretty useless. Gak is terrible. Brooks is a solid depth piece but should never start in the ACC. This frontcourt simply isn’t talented.

I thought this post was sarcastic. Miller was unplayable last year defensively. Sam has a fair performance maybe one out of every 5 or so games. Other than that he’s pretty useless. Gak is terrible. Brooks is a solid depth piece but should never start in the ACC. This frontcourt simply isn’t talented.

Reggie Johnson was useless until he wasn’t. Julian Gamble was useless till he wasn’t. Tonye Jekiri was useless till he wasn’t. Izundu was useless until he wasn’t.

I can’t explain to you why it is not smart to expect that Sam was going to be the same player this year as last year.

Miller was always going to be a 7 footer for rotational depth. If Gak didn’t surprise you yesterday, you’re just bitter. And Brooks is a serviceable ACC center... he won’t win games, but he doesn’t lose them.

Newsflash: we’re not a blue blood that gets blue chip centers.

But remind me... did the front court cost us the game against Purdue? Louisville? Duke?

And to the earlier poster who said there are maybe 3-4 ACC players on this team...

Lykes, Wong, McGusty, Timberlake, Walker, and Brooks are all ACC players. I suspect Sam would have joined that list this year based on L’s preseason expectations.

But random message board guy definitely knows more...
1612326405792.png

Reggie Johnson was useless until he wasn’t. Julian Gamble was useless till he wasn’t. Tonye Jekiri was useless till he wasn’t. Izundu was useless until he wasn’t.

Well yeah, except all of our bigs are already juniors or seniors. They've hit their ceilings.
I can’t explain to you why it is not smart to expect that Sam was going to be the same player this year as last year.

We may never know. He could've had a Julian Gamble like senior season, or he could've had a Donavan Kirk like senior season.
Miller was always going to be a 7 footer for rotational depth. If Gak didn’t surprise you yesterday, you’re just bitter. And Brooks is a serviceable ACC center... he won’t win games, but he doesn’t lose them.

Gak did surprise me, but that was one good game out of the whole season for him
Newsflash: we’re not a blue blood that gets blue chip centers.

But remind me... did the front court cost us the game against Purdue? Louisville? Duke?

No, but it played into why we lost to FGCU, BC, ND, and Wake.
And to the earlier poster who said there are maybe 3-4 ACC players on this team...

Lykes, Wong, McGusty, Timberlake, Walker, and Brooks are all ACC players. I suspect Sam would have joined that list this year based on L’s preseason expectations.

But random message board guy definitely knows more...
View attachment 142829

Advertisement
Back