Blake James on Ferman- link and discussion

Ispyin

ACC ACC ACC 🤮🤮🤮
Premium
yes, I know- Ferman sucks.

I still want to hear Blake on it in case something not spin zone is actually said and real questions answered. Again, I know. I can hope.

Here is the link-think it works for everyone.

He's on at 8PM EST

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/canesportradio/2014/10/15/canesport-live

My guess is it will all be BS but...

Blake on, Ferman with an introductory ********

Says your track record and accomplisments will be reviewed by new pres:

hurricane club up to 7k from 4400 under him
schwartz center
new scoreboard
academics
asked what Blake's evaluation of his first two years.
- blake says needs to give the coaches the tools they need- to raise the bar
-says they have done a good job, always need more- practice field lights coming, need the indoor practice stuff.
(same things we have heard over and over)
92% graduation rate, 3.0 gpa, yeah! but blah.
- SELF EVALUATION- gave himself a B
(as in B for Donna's *****

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ferman going on about indoor practice facility impact (missing 15 practices so far this year)
Ferman " not making excuses"
Blake "not giving team best chance to win" without it

Ferman- too many AD's recently- Sam was dynamic, others made no difference status quo- are you looking to be a visionary at Miami and beyond.
Blake- do whatever I can to make program better. Status quo can't happen. Need to constantly do new things to make it better- what is happening nationally. Historically- won championships but WE DIDNT REINVEST THE WAY WE SHOULD HAVE OR COULD HAVE (WOW SOMEONE SAID IT)
He wants to be here for a long time....

Ferman- whats impact of new president- will he have more power in the transition?
Blake- its a misnomer that he doesnt have the power- donna a great boss, passionate, visionary, but she lets him do his job, she doesnt call per se, thought they talk all the time (huh?).

Ferman- when things go bad, everyone becomes a target, including DOnna- people dont realize how supportive she's been.... they should be more appreciative of her...
When you move from fan to top seat, do you have to take more detached role, or do you live and die by the play
Blake.. I probably live and die by the play more than most fans. It impacts him on a daily basis, from finacially to kids disappointment, etc. No one wants to win more than the kids or the coaches who put on the U every day. I take it harder now.

Ferman- how big of a pure football guy are you- do you evaluate schemes like fans do.
Blake- nothing better than football, his love, why he came to UM, but doesnt follow schemes that way. Follows football quite a bit, rewatches games on sun/mon/tues. Occasionally will go in to talk to Al about it, but has so much going on- thats Al's job/staff job. I give coaches freedom to run their programs. It's their jobs to have teams ready to go.

Ferman- lets move on to football as most of questions are about that- you understand how upset fans and boosters have gotten, how venomous they are, leading to a plane being flown, on the radio etc. He said he explained that he wont ask him about his support for Al golden on the program, but then says the evidence is that he supports the coach by actions. No point in asking him that kind of question (WEAKKKKKK)
Ferman says that all owe Al a lot from his community stand point, standing through NCAA BUT ITS breaking down on a pure football level, losing 7 of last 13. not beating winning teams, etc. Are you happy with product being put out on the field

Blake- tough question to answer. No one is happy when we lose. Confident that Al and Donna and players arent happy either. Understand the frustration on radio, blogs, etc. The product on field has to continue to get better. Have to turn clock back, Al had his hand tied behind his back not even one year ago. Excited about Kayaa, etc. Some great talent coming. Confident going in the right direction.

Ferman- stats right now show national champion level offense. good place and heading up. Focal point of issue with fans is the defense. how aware are you of the negativity towards the defensive staff, and do you share that angst.

Blake = aware to a degree of the anger at defensive staff, knows Mark is the target. It's hard to look at it and say we have a problem on this play on defense without knowing the ins and outs. We have to continue to work on it. doesnt care if we win every week 70-69 or 3-0. up to coaches to look into ins and outs of all phases of the game.

Last edited:
Ferman-let me rephrase the question differently- fans watch game and see situations- Nebraska running down defense throat- seeing safeties so far off the field

Blake- look how Nebraska scored first- deep pass with Deon blitzing. (**** HIM) its hard to look at individual situations and ask why did this or that not work. Can't individually analyze plays. Defense needs to get better, at same time our best player fumbles on offense. (I might have to stop, not sure I can take anymore of this.)

Ferman- problems on defense go way beyond Mark D, from players, preperation, talent. More complicated. Not as simple as it seems on TV. Let me move on. Saw your recent quote about not being able to rebuild a football program by flipping a switch. But you can't be in denial either about adjustments along the way. Every coach made significant staff changes before they got it right. Or Randy never got it right. So many questions- clear perception that Miami is out of the national title contending business, that Miami internal expectations have been diminished

Blake- they said the same thing in 1997 about Butch and the flying plane then. Do I think program where it needs to be? No. Need to get better to win national titles. Lived through this before saw what Butch did with all the criticism, thinks it can turn around. in 1997 talking to ESPN guys, they said Miami never would be back. He's 100% confident they will be back competing in near future to national championship level. I go to work every day trying to figure out how to help get it back to top

Ferman- remember after Jimmy Johnsons first year, seeing how upset he was. He went back and made the changes. can happen need to be proactive.

Blake- i trust Al to make the changes. People have said scheme, coaches, recruits. At end of day that Al will make the adjustments that need to be made.

Ferman- so UM is still in the business of competing for national Championships?
Blake- Yes, 100% we are.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ferman is such a dumb putz...A real interviewer would tear Blake the politician up, but Ferblow wants ACCESS.

So Blake, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE YOU ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT?

We are 4-3 and can't win the Coastal, again. Everything else pales in significance, the other stuff is meaningless.

Ferman is such a dumb putz...A real interviewer would tear Blake the politician up, but Ferblow wants ACCESS.

So Blake, WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO ABOUT DEFENSIVE PERFORMANCE YOU ARE NOT HAPPY ABOUT?

Ain't nothing wrong with that. Don't bite the hand that feeds you. Business101

Advertisement
Apparently he blamed Duke for the Nebraska loss. Fire this garbage piece of **** too. Throwing a student athlete who is one of the all time greats and a class act under the bus??? ENOUGH OF THIS MICKEY MOUSE ATHLETIC DEPARTMENT. Is there ANYONE with some power who gives a ****?? I'm disgusted.

I'm on hold.

I'm at work but will listen to the podcast on my ride home. Can you ask him a question for me?

Question:
how are NFL scout evaluating our players? Recently our players are alot better once they hit the pro's and are considered under achievers in college. Are NFL scout taking noting of our poor player development and inept coaching staff?

I'm on hold.

I'm at work but will listen to the podcast on my ride home. Can you ask him a question for me?

Question:
how are NFL scout evaluating our players? Recently our players are alot better once they hit the pro's and are considered under achievers in college. Are NFL scout taking noting of our poor player development and inept coaching staff?

sry..im prob only gonna get one question and I already have it ready.

Advertisement
this is why Miami needs to drop 7 games so that cant find a hole crawl out of. BJ seems to be a problem too just like Shalala and AG

Ferman- are there any standards- like minimum wins.
Blake- dont want to get into that number wise. I want to win every game, whether against a national champ or a chump (my words). how are we progressing- thats what I look at. Would rather be 7-0. lost 3 tough road games, who knows where they wind up at end of year, they are 17-2 now. Would like to end 9-3, but first need to focus on VT. look back at year at end of year, see what they need to get better next year.

Ferman- people tired of hearing about NCAA at this point, but in fairness that had some impact. Some saying that predecessors gave Randy 4 years. some say that was too much or too little. Whats a fair amount of time
Blake- its gonna take time- need to recruit the kids you need. At a minimum its four years. Kirby make the decision he felt he needed to on Randy. You can't look at a set number. Look year by year, see where you are, why you are or aren't.

Ferman- when shapiro crap hit, they extended contracts out 9 years. Why are contracts becoming longer term. What is your ideal contract length.
Blake- its the nature of the business. Some of it goes to recruiting- the kids start the process at a younger and younger age. See extensions all the time, but still coach or school still make changes. Security situation in both directions that are really not that valued on either end... (hmmm) its a false security blanket in a way. Contract doesn't preclude changes.

Ferman- so do they mean anything? buyouts built in etc.
Blake- contracts do mean something, but in the industry seems to not as much. Wants them to be in place through the contract, sometimes have to make a change though. Never enters into contract negotiation thinking it wont be fulfilled. Nationally, when a coach has a great year, they look to increase it, but if have a bad year, they dont try to decrease it

Ferman- Miami has former players criticizing publicly. they have a lot of cred, long NFL careers. What is your reaction to it?
Blake- understand the passion. fortunate that our former student athletes promote our brand and school more than anyone. No one likes losing. they arent enjoying it. understand the frustration. Disappointing when as public as it is. They dont help us get back to top, but respect them. Rather they not do it, that's their right though.

Ferman- dont see this at other schools
Blake- its one of the great things though about the program, the passion. other schools not even in the same ball park. both positive and negative. respect their choices, part of the U family.

Ferman- you allow coaches to run their programs, pick their staff. At end of year you evaluate the head coaches. biq question- do you have the authority on whether an assistant coach gets retained.
Blake- at the end of the day, yes. Al runs the program, i give him the support. I believe you cant tell them what needs or people compliment them. Im not part of day in day out. I hire head coach to run it, give them the support they need, then see where we are holistically.

ferman- could you see yourself crossing that line to intervene
Blake- morality issues, Ncaa yes,. On scheme or pure football related, not something where I am getting in on specifics of the competition.
I might talk about how our D is going to get better (or O or special teams), but hes the one that has to have the power to make the decisions on that.

Ferman- who has final say on HC decisions, him or president
blake- fortunately I have been able to retain all our big program decisions, if donna ever wanted to or next president has the right. they have agreed with his decisions to extend current coaches. At end of day its my job.

Ferman- paying coaches better than ever, but market has skyrocketed. but best are getting paid double than Miami does. Fans saying shows not as committed. If al says i need more money in my coaching budget, can you help him?
Blake- we have been supportive, wont share numbers, knows what public schools are paying. Not many doubling what we pay our coordinators.

Ferman- louisville paying DC one million.
Blake- not going to say what we are paying, we are very competitive at coordinator level- we dont pay more than anyone else will be honest, but we are competitive. and if al said he needed more money, he would want to understand why and what, ive always done what I can, if it was a real legit issue,would do what we need to.

Ferman- so miami has a bad rap on pay?
Blake - yes

Ferman-BOT and athletic department. do trustees influence athletic decisions
blake- no- very supportive board, very generous. dont have a personal relationship with everyone

Ferman- what about boosters
Blake- no they dont influence daily decisions. comments he has gotten from people over last month or so have been very supportive .

Ferman- future schedules- big football games- 2017 LSU
Blake- not opening against LSU. working on some big games- talking to two schools that were New years day teams last year. Notre Dame, 4 more games coming total. some will surprise people. cant comment yet.

Ferman- attendance. Sat was a disaster. thoughts
Blake- continue to push for a facility thats a better fit, at same time, sun life is home now, excited about changes. more manageable stadium size. VT- 57k size, much bigger school enrollment wise. smaller stadium would be better fit. ever something in the 40-50 range, they would be very interested.

Ferman- you ever see UM having own stadium, trop park or something
blake- optimist, would like to say yes. every year, look at possibility, if we can make reality would try to , and til then try to help with sunlife improvements.

Ferman- why arent students going
Blake- last sat, about 2700 of 10k went to game despite noon 92. says we have good student support. one of areas that we have had great support. avg about 4k of students of 10k. students not part of the attendance issue that we admittedly have.

Blake- we all want program at top again, will improve facilities, invest more in coaches as needed, confident new president will support. Timeline will never be as quick as some want but pushing every day.

Thats all.....

Last edited:
Advertisement
He has to think about if he can fire a a coach...That means NO, he can't no matter how he finished the answer.

Wow Blake, don't get too "****y" about your time...I believe it may be part of your job description.

I'll say this Ferman made Blake stutter a few times... What I got from this is Blake isn't allowed to do anything without Shalala's approval.

Advertisement
Back