Blake Baker Today

Mr. Dynasty1

Junior
- Baker had a simple bye week message to starting linebackers Zach McCloud and Bradley Jennings: trust your keys and play fast. “There are times where I just want them to cut it loose,” Baker said. “If they cut it loose, I think they can be a lot more consistent in their play.” Baker says he thinks the trend of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg continuing to get more snaps as the season progresses will probably continue.

- Baker estimates that the UM corners have played man coverage in 60-55 percent of the snaps this season. “Overall I think they have shown flashes in both man and zone,” Baker said. “There has been times when they have looked really good playing zone and really good playing man. When it is not good, it isn’t an ability thing—it is more of an eye control issue in man and zone. When they don’t play well it is usually due to their eyes. When they put their eyes where they need to put them, I think they are really, really good out there.”

Advertisement
I agree with what he's saying for the most part. Louisville and Clemson used eye candy to slow down our LBs reaction time and get them out of position or set up blockers scrapping off a DT and working to the second level. McCloud is a liability at this point. A fifth-year senior should be more reliable than he's been. TAC, Flagg and Brooks should get the bulk of the snaps. ****, Steed performed better than McCloud in the UVA game.

I don't see those 2 ever reading keys and being decisive - to me they lack the instincts to see it and react. They are more see ball, chase ball guys.

Flagg can see it. He just looks like Rudy out there behind the big boys. Height shouldn't be a problem long term but he definitely needs to live in that weight room all offseason.

Advertisement
Totally agree, play more press-man and allow the pass rush fro the front four a chance to impact the game.

We could also play more games with our safeties instead of playing them 12 yards off the line and dropping another 5-8 on the snap. Our safeties rarely get involved in the run game before 8-10 yards bc of how deep they play.....and we need that help when the LBs don't fill.

I think Baker players so much zone compared to what Diaz used to is because they have zero faith in the run D....both with setting the edge against traditional runs and stopping QB runs on pass downs. Dropping in zone allows the DBs to help cover those deficiencies.

- Baker had a simple bye week message to starting linebackers Zach McCloud and Bradley Jennings: trust your keys and play fast. “There are times where I just want them to cut it loose,” Baker said. “If they cut it loose, I think they can be a lot more consistent in their play.” Baker says he thinks the trend of Sam Brooks and Corey Flagg continuing to get more snaps as the season progresses will probably continue.

- Baker estimates that the UM corners have played man coverage in 60-55 percent of the snaps this season. “Overall I think they have shown flashes in both man and zone,” Baker said. “There has been times when they have looked really good playing zone and really good playing man. When it is not good, it isn’t an ability thing—it is more of an eye control issue in man and zone. When they don’t play well it is usually due to their eyes. When they put their eyes where they need to put them, I think they are really, really good out there.”

I'm no wizard at Xs and Os but if they really struggle with zone, um, play less of it?

Advertisement
These coaches get in their own heads too often

against weaker ACC opponents we don’t need to fool offenses with zone concepts. We have better talent and should be playing more Man coverage cause we’re more physically talented

More Man v Man please!

Advertisement
Roche, Phillips, Silvera, McCloud, Jennings, Frierson, Blades, Bolden were new starters at their respective positions in 2020 so there was going to be a learning cure. It's November, we're healthy, coming off a bye and facing NC State's backup QB so anything short of a dynamite effort on Friday shouldn't be tolerated.

Baker should take a page out the Dolphins playbook and confuse the **** out of QBs by putting 7 or 8 defenders on the LOS. On a given play there's no telling who is going to blitz or drop back in coverage.

Advertisement
yeah let's flip 55-60% into 75-80% pls
I give this staff credit for getting the players they've assembled but when it comes to coaching they get on my nerves.
ROFL, obviously coach rumph's idea of man defense is way different than what coach diaz and blake baker call defensively. We keep giving these other teams offenses to much breathing room, ***** that, we need to start suffocating teams. Alot of people don't know WTF they talking about when it comes to these spread offenses, the problem is their defensive concepts are all wrong when it comes to attacking them, these spread offenses are simply option/wishbone concepts with the ability to actually pass at the same time. All those guys running in motion for jet sweeps, these offenses are easy to contain and force mistakes, but playing press-man as the base defense is key.

Roche, Phillips, Silvera, McCloud, Jennings, Frierson, Blades, Bolden were new starters at their respective positions in 2020 so there was going to be a learning cure. It's November, we're healthy, coming off a bye and facing NC State's backup QB so anything short of a dynamite effort on Friday shouldn't be tolerated.

Baker should take a page out the Dolphins playbook and confuse the **** out of QBs by putting 7 or 8 defenders on the LOS. On a given play there's no telling who is going to blitz or drop back in coverage.
2 bye weeks lol

Advertisement
Back