Blake Baker DC we necessarily do not need a transfer CB

randolph herndon

Freshman
Banned
▪ In part because of D.J. Ivey’s growth, UM believes it’s doesn’t necessarily need to add a veteran cornerback in the transfer market to start opposite Trajan Bandy.

“The last half of spring ball he’s done some really good things,” Baker said of Ivey. “Al Blades had a really good day today, very physical at the point of contact. Right now, we’re happy with what we have.”

"And Christian Williams and Te’Cory Couch arrive this summer."

https://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/barry-jackson/article229182234.html

Advertisement
I was at the game, and from what I seen from a physical and game play... DJ Ivey is definitely ready to play that spot. I think a smart QB can easily throw Blades off. But he is serviceable. Bringing in another CB would be just for depth purposes, because I don’t see anyone taking Ivey spot.

I was at the game, and from what I seen from a physical and game play... DJ Ivey is definitely ready to play that spot. I think a smart QB can easily throw Blades off. But he is serviceable. Bringing in another CB would be just for depth purposes, because I don’t see anyone taking Ivey spot.
Hopefully, the Bama freshman who arrives shortly and is 6-1 and about 190 develops quickly and can contribute.

Knew someone would step up and take that spot. I guessed Blades months ago and obviously it isn’t over yet but we have never had a reason to doubt that these guys would get developed and someone would emerge. Rumph has done it every year since he has been here so I expect no different.

Advertisement

If Ivey never missed time from the foot injury, imo, he would've been a consensus 4 star. We got a steal, fa real.

Advertisement
I'd still be opportunistic in the portal (see Trevon Hill) if an impact player shook free. We definitely need to add to Francois for the 2020 class.

I'd still be opportunistic in the portal (see Trevon Hill) if an impact player shook free. We definitely need to add to Francois for the 2020 class.
If they are transferring this late in the game after spring ball, how realistic is it that they will they help us? Likely that they got beat out which isn’t what we need at cb imo if that’s the case.

I've said it since we were kind of sort of looking at DCW...I think its always wise to get a veteran DB either JUCO or transfer candidate. At minimum, they are your veteran dime guy and special teams player.

It'd be nice to not have to play a freshman when an injury occurs or we are being spread out by some team and need reserves.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back