Blake Baker- By the Numbers

Thank you for this write up!!

I honestly love that Diaz didn’t just promote from within but snagged a young energetic DC whose got good results with experience at his level and could sky rocket with better athletes at his disposal!

Advertisement
Great write up. Love your work.

Lance so I haven't watched an LaTech game, is the defensive scheme obvious or does he hide packages and blitzes well?

Hey Lance, wouldn’t access to talent play a factor as much as revenue in a talent rich state like Louisiana? It’s the reason Miami’s even breathing at this point.

Absolutely. It’s why I included that they had the second most talent in the conference.

When I started this I tried to start with a sound approach rather than starting with a conclusion and working backwards. In other words, I wasn’t trying to make Baker look good- it just happens that’s how the data falls.

Football spending absolutely plays a part in the success of a program though. From recruiting budgets, staff retention, facilities, training quality, paying Cost of living stipends and just promotion of program; money matters.

Advertisement
He also had the help of a great S&C coach. Which I hope he joins UM as well. Our offensive players will need to get use to a fast pace, more plays, uptempo scheme.

Advertisement
Excellent work and thanks for taking the time. Love the fact as you alluded to that Diaz didn't simply just roll with Banda and Patke. He made a decision that he needed an experienced play-caller and made it happen while at the same time keeping his 2 proteges.

Statistical analysis is a very arduous, time consuming endeavor that takes a lot of intellect and patience. Excellent work @Lance Roffers! The approach you took is also very impressive - that being not trying to make Baker look better or worse than he is.

Advertisement
Adding layers of detail certainly helps the data, but that is an exponentially greater amount of work, so I'm afraid the cost/benefit wasn't there to break down pace/score. I could load the play-by-play data into a GitHub and parse it with a programming language, but I'd still have to adjust for time between plays etc. unless someone better at building that code would make it automatically do it. (If > ___ seconds, then ____ type of layers into the code for scraping the data itself, or perhaps a second code once the data is scraped).

Building in score adds an additional layer of score (for instance, yards per pass is heavily influenced by situation, as teams are just fine letting you get 8 yards a play passing into the MOF when they have a nice lead late).

Generally, I'd like to use success rates, but even those are flawed in my mind as to the situation. A successful second down play is heavily influenced by how successful the first down play was, as is the third down play by how successful the second down play was etc.

I'm trying to find a happy-medium to where I present data in an easily digestible format that doesn't make me appear as though I'm trying to be the smartest guy in the room, but also going deeper than simply stating "the defense ranked ____ for this season."

If that makes the sense I'm hoping it does in my head.

alan.gif

Good **** Lance!

Advertisement
Great write up! Really looking forward to the film review. Also, are we sure this hire has been confirmed?

Advertisement
Back