Biggest recruiting misses in school history

Hindsight is 20/20.
We don’t know of J Smith will be a hall of famer or a bust.
That’s just a fact. Plenty of dudes have been said to be “generational” and end up doing nada.

Remember Hazzelnuts?

Imo the biggest miss was Amari Cooper and Patrick Peterson.

Those 2 players let everyone know that it was ok to leave and succeed somewhere else.
It was also at a time when we needed players like that the most.
It also established a sofla pipeline to those schools at the time when we were sliding.
Maybe we wouldn’t have slid that far down and continued the nfl pipeline from Miami.

Look up the Amari Cooper thread and see the thread being bumped every time he had a great game.

Would’ve been a game changer here too.
Forgot Cooper, good one.

Advertisement
There was so much smoke and talk about him flipping and then it didn’t happen so who knows
Or…he wanted the attention. Who knows? Fact is he committed to OSU before the games happened. Ny Carr committed after the loss. Often these games mean nothing to recruits or a loss may even show we need them all that much more.

Advertisement
Oh God GIF by DuroflexWorld

Idiot GIF by Neon Panda MX

OP really mentioned Lorenzo Lingard! I agree with GrozDozer: MODERATOR PLEASE KIILL THIS GUY!!!!!

The lb who went to Ohio st because we wouldn't offer. FSU WHO was close to the family and kid wanted to come here and we never offered.

Advertisement
Pre Internet Recruiting Era off the top of my head
LB Derrick Thomas (wanted to leave SFLA)
LB Keith Carter
LB Marvin Jones
CB Clifton Abraham
RB Marshall Faulk (wanted to come but we wanted him as a DB.)
LB Lamont Green
RB Troy and Darren Davis (not sure if we even recruited them hard.)
LB LaVar Arrington
S Derrick Gibson
RB Travis Henry
RB LaDainian Tomlinson (wanted to come but was supposedly scared to fly and never visited stayed in TX.)

Internet Recruiting Era
2003 DT Nate Robinson (5* #1 DT in the nation from Jersey committed to us at the same time as Greg Olsen. But didn’t qualify academically went to Rutgers.)
2004 RB Bobby Washington (didn’t qualify academically went to NC State.)
2005 CB Demetrice Morley
2005 TE Martellus Bennett
2005 RB Antone Smith
2005 DE Ricky Jean-Francois (was never offered wanted to come)
2007 RB Noel Devine
2007 RB Antwain Easterling
2007 RB Armando Allen
2008 CB Patrick Peterson
2008 LB LaVonte Davis (literally begged for an offer)
2009 RB Bryce Brown
2010 DB Lamarcus Joyner
2011 RB DeVonta Freeman
2011 QB Teddy Bridgewater
2011 WR Sammy Watkins
2012 WR Amari Cooper
2013 LB Matthew Thomas
2013 CB Jalen Ramsey (grew up a Canes fan we Golden ruined any chance of getting him. Signed Corn Elder from the same area.)
2014 RB Dalvin Cook
2015 WR Calvin Ridley
2015 CB Tarvarus McFadden
2016 DE Brian Burns
2017 WR Jerry Jeudy
2017 WR Trevon Grimes
2018 CB Patrick Surtain II
2018 CB Tyson Campbell
2019 WR Jadon Haselwood
2017 OL Evan Neal
2020 LB Justin Flowe
2021 LB Terrence Lewis
2021 WR Ja’Corey Brooks
2021 CB Jason Marshall
2022 DE Shemar Stewart
2022 CB Earl Little Jr
2023 CB Cormani McClain

Last edited:
Jeremiah Smith might go down on this long list.

I feel like if we had taken care of business against Ga Tech and UNC we would’ve flipped him with all the the momentum we had going. Despite getting Trader, Carr and Robinson we likely just lost our chances with a generational WR talent…
Here We Go Again GIF

Advertisement
I qualify a 'miss' as a recruit who wanted to be at UM, probably would have signed at UM, but was passed over by the staff

This name is brought up recently and I think he fits

Ricardo Allen
Bakas was screaming that he was an elite prospect and no one but Purdue knew.

Advertisement
Hindsight is 20/20.
We don’t know if J Smith will be a hall of famer or a bust.
That’s just a fact. Plenty of dudes have been said to be “generational” and end up doing nada.

Remember Hazzelnuts?

Imo the biggest miss was Amari Cooper and Patrick Peterson.

Those 2 players let everyone know that it was ok to leave and succeed somewhere else.
It was also at a time when we needed players like that the most.
It also established a sofla pipeline to those schools at the time when we were sliding.
Maybe we wouldn’t have slid that far down and continued the nfl pipeline from Miami.

Look up the Amari Cooper thread and see the thread being bumped every time he had a great game.

Would’ve been a game changer here too.
Preach

I’d say D Freeman needs to be higher up there. Bungling his recruitment gave FSU a stronghold in a school that should be a direct pipeline to UM.

I don’t get as hung up on missing big time guys when we were t total ****. I can understand the logic in not coming here. But it’s the Coopers and Lamar’s of the world that baffle me. Should’ve landed those guys.

Advertisement
Back