Biggest Off-Season Rule Change

PatrickCane

Freshman
In my opinion and SIAP but I think the ability of the receiving team to fair catch on-side kicks if they bounce up in the air will change close games for sure. Thoughts?

Last edited:
Advertisement
In my opinion and SIAP but I think the ability of the receiving team to fair catch on-side kicks if they bounce up in the air will change close games for sure. Thoughts?

Wow, I didn't realize that change was being made. That almost eliminates what little chance of recovering an onside kick existed in the first place. Not a fan of that.

That makes no sense, why can't four guys throw up their arms to signal a fair catch at the same time, they can all argue they thought it was coming to them, basically that would eliminate any chance of the kicking team to recover.

havent read this rule yet but I would interpret it as if it is directly kicked into the air with no bounce off the grass. gonna have to check this out...

Advertisement
If the ball hits the turf on any kickoff, the receiving team should have no ability to fair catch. It seems like common sense. The rule change (if true) is awful.

So I just read some info on the change. Apparently if the ball is "one hopped" off the ground the receiving team can in fact call a fair catch. It's ridiculous.

Rule change is just senseless pandering to the concussion craze around the sport.

So I just read some info on the change. Apparently if the ball is "one hopped" off the ground the receiving team can in fact call a fair catch. It's ridiculous.

Might as well just eliminate the on-side kick if that's the case.

Advertisement
It's only a matter of time before they eliminate kickoffs entirely. This is just step 1 coupled with the changes in kickoff.

Well thats it, just put flags on em then... its football, ur gonna get hit.

i dont understand the reasoning behind the rule change. I have a hard time believing its a safety issue since most of the guys on the kickoff team make a play for the ball rather than blowing up the guy going for it.

Advertisement
Kickers will find a way around it. Instead of one hopping it maybe they'll just line drive it at their feet or something, I don't know.

That makes no sense, why can't four guys throw up their arms to signal a fair catch at the same time, they can all argue they thought it was coming to them, basically that would eliminate any chance of the kicking team to recover.

Forget just 4 guys, have them all raise their hands for a fair catch. Are they going to allow that? Can more than one guy signal for a fair catch?

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back