Bigger, but Better?

miamiphd

Sophomore
Stanford, Cal and SMU joining the ACC. ACC gets bigger. Does it get better? Seems like the ACC got the leftovers.

Advertisement
Imho this makes it easier for three schools to end up leaving the conference, while also making sure the conference keeps its current deal with ESPN in place.
That's supposedly exactly why they did it. If the ACC drops below 15 schools then ESPN can apparently renegotiate the payout down. Adding these teams, if up to 3 schools leave, ESPN still needs to honor the current contract through 2036.

I am not sure, but I assume it also means that if say 4 schools left, the ACC would then only need to find 1 additional school to make ESPN have to honor the current contract.

I don't like it, but from a holistic point of the ACC - since most of the schools likely aren't going to end up in it one of the big conferences - it makes sense.

Advertisement
Big mistake by the ACC. Notre Dame should be made to be all-in or out of the ACC in other sports. Notre Dame would be #18 in 2024.
First, I am pretty sure they have an existing contract with ND that does not require that, so not sure how the ACC would try to go about trying to force that change. Second, what leverage do they have even if there wasn't a contract? I am sure that ND would either find another way to stay independent by scheduling with other leagues/independents or decide that if they really don't have an option but to join a conference, then they will go to the Big10 which is a better fit for them and will almost certainly pay them more money than the ACC could.

It's stupid. Academically, being aligned with Stanford and Cal might be nice, but athletically it makes little sense. The travel for the non-revenue generating sports is going to be stupid. The non-revenue generating sports need regional conferences, not cross country flights. Terrible for the athletes that are students first.

Good (for now) for Miami football. THE would haves / could haves (fill in blank)...., but for now

1) keeps conference in tact for short term.
2) Additional money for schools (estimates include 15M per year)
3) ACC could have raided by other conferences i.e. PAC 12 (Miami in G5)
4) Mitigates potential loss of schools.
5) With potential loss of schools; Miami could negotiate larger share of future conference payout without FSU and Clemson.

Miami has no real bargaining power. We think they do butt, TV viewership (revenue) is terrible when compared to FSU and Clemson. Heard Miami best game was 15th in ACC viewership.

Bring on the hate.... lol

Advertisement
Academic reputation improves except for the Ponies
SMU isn't all that bad as they are still top 75 (#72) on the US News Rankings which puts them well ahead of Louisville (who is more than 100 spots behind the next closest ACC member at #182) and about on par with NC State and Clemson (both in the 70s). Pitt, VT, and Syracuse are in the 60s. Miami and FSU are in the 50s. Everyone else is higher.

Advertisement
All this coast to coast **** is dumb. Obviously enough schools thought it was in their best interest to make it happen, including us, so it did.

I know it doesn't matter for money, but I wonder what that's going to do to Stanford for instance with all their Olympic sports. Hate it for those programs if they shut it down.

Good (for now) for Miami football. THE would haves / could haves (fill in blank)...., but for now

1) keeps conference in tact for short term.
2) Additional money for schools (estimates include 15M per year)
3) ACC could have raided by other conferences i.e. PAC 12 (Miami in G5)
4) Mitigates potential loss of schools.
5) With potential loss of schools; Miami could negotiate larger share of future conference payout without FSU and Clemson.

Miami has no real bargaining power. We think they do butt, TV viewership (revenue) is terrible when compared to FSU and Clemson. Heard Miami best game was 15th in ACC viewership.

Bring on the hate.... lol

Considering that last year was a 5-7 year, with an unentertaining style, I'm not shocked the fanbase tuned out. That said, one year does not determine our bargaining power. What Miami is selling is more than just local eyeballs, it's national. What Miami sells is the Miami media market. If this wasn't about media markets, Rutgers and Maryland wouldn't have gotten poached. That's our bargaining chip, hence why we are B1G or bust. The B1G wants to get into the South, they want to be able to challenge the SEC in the most football crazy part of the country, and the way to do that, outside of poaching a top tier SEC program is to bring in Miami. We fit well both on and off the field. The question is finding a way to get us out of the GOR, or at least negotiate that down to where it isn't crippling. This is why I'm of the mindset that Miami cut some kind of gentlemen's agreement to vote for the admission of SMU, Cal and Stanford. We all know that this conference won't vote to disband, there just aren't enough votes(needed 12 before today), so getting a little extra cash in the short term, while also having an agreement that when the invitation comes, we will be allowed to buy out the GOR at a discount makes a lot of sense. We can afford to sit back and play the long game, FSU is in a spot where if they don't move soon, they are screwed. There's a reason why they are flapping the loudest, they NEED to move to stay alive. Clemson is fine rolling along, but I wouldn't be shocked that if this performance based payout system gets going, that will be fine for them until they can negotiate their way out of GOR too. Money isn't an issue for them either.

All this coast to coast **** is dumb. Obviously enough schools thought it was in their best interest to make it happen, including us, so it did.

I know it doesn't matter for money, but I wonder what that's going to do to Stanford for instance with all their Olympic sports. Hate it for those programs if they shut it down.
They will NOT shut down their Olympic sports. Title IX compliance basically mandates they stay alive. Wouldn't be shocked if some of them join the WCC or other West Coast based conferences, just to save on travel. Swim and Dive is mostly meet based, so they can still compete in non ACC meets, and then show up to the conference championships.

Advertisement
Considering that last year was a 5-7 year, with an unentertaining style, I'm not shocked the fanbase tuned out. That said, one year does not determine our bargaining power. What Miami is selling is more than just local eyeballs, it's national. What Miami sells is the Miami media market. If this wasn't about media markets, Rutgers and Maryland wouldn't have gotten poached. That's our bargaining chip, hence why we are B1G or bust. The B1G wants to get into the South, they want to be able to challenge the SEC in the most football crazy part of the country, and the way to do that, outside of poaching a top tier SEC program is to bring in Miami. We fit well both on and off the field. The question is finding a way to get us out of the GOR, or at least negotiate that down to where it isn't crippling. This is why I'm of the mindset that Miami cut some kind of gentlemen's agreement to vote for the admission of SMU, Cal and Stanford. We all know that this conference won't vote to disband, there just aren't enough votes(needed 12 before today), so getting a little extra cash in the short term, while also having an agreement that when the invitation comes, we will be allowed to buy out the GOR at a discount makes a lot of sense. We can afford to sit back and play the long game, FSU is in a spot where if they don't move soon, they are screwed. There's a reason why they are flapping the loudest, they NEED to move to stay alive. Clemson is fine rolling along, but I wouldn't be shocked that if this performance based payout system gets going, that will be fine for them until they can negotiate their way out of GOR too. Money isn't an issue for them either.
Problem in your thesis is Rutgers and Maryland is NYC area with large viewership / presence . I wish is was not true, but do your homework on ratings for Miami sports and marketing.

Problem in your thesis is Rutgers and Maryland is NYC area with large viewership / presence . I wish is was not true, but do your homework on ratings for Miami sports and marketing.

Please tell me you are trolling, because no one can be this willfully ignorant. NO ONE IN NYC OR DC WATCHES RUTGERS OR MARYLAND. Even though Miami is in a significantly smaller media market, our numbers dwarf anything those schools have ever gotten. Never mind the fact that Miami is a national brand, with widespread appeal, provided we are winning. Rutgers provides NOTHING of value, outside of an accident of geography. It's extremely likely that there are more Miami fans/alumni in the NYC market than Rutgers, despite us being a smaller institution and located over a thousand miles away.

Something called google try it.. Again I wish it were not true.... but facts here...

Which college football programs were the most-watched in 2021​

2021 so not even last year

25 Florida State — 1.27M record 5-7
35 Miami — 1.038M - record 7-5

Maryland — 1.864M
Rutgers — 618K
Miami - 608K

and yes, Big 10 wanted the NYC / area market. They did not want Miami, (plus I won't question your ignorance...) but sure you will continue.....

Something called google try it.. Again I wish it were not true.... but facts here...

Which college football programs were the most-watched in 2021​

2021 so not even last year

25 Florida State — 1.27M record 5-7
35 Miami — 1.038M - record 7-5

Maryland — 1.864M
Rutgers — 618K
Miami - 608K

and yes, Big 10 wanted the NYC / area market. They did not want Miami, (plus I won't question your ignorance...) but sure you will continue.....

This is some steaming pile of horseshiit statistics. When Miami wins, everyone watches.

Advertisement
Back