Big Zion Nelson

Advertisement
There are a few players graduating May 10th, they don't have to enter the portal during the April window. They can quietly walk away at any time. Zion, Denis, Balom, etc ...

Aren’t we way over the scholly limit? Zion you’re on the cutting block no hard feelings

Advertisement
Yo what up with this dude? He ever gonna play again? Asking for my cats.
Geddy my man! Welcome! I love your bassline on "Freewill" particularly the part you play during the breakdown while Alex is playing the guitar solo. Just an absolutely nasty, filthy bassline! I just picked up a 79 Richenbacher 4001 lefty bass. Think you could give me a few master lessons over Zoom?

Geddy my man! Welcome! I love your bassline on "Freewill" particularly the part you play during the breakdown while Alex is playing the guitar solo. Just an absolutely nasty, filthy bassline! I just picked up a 79 Richenbacher 4001 lefty bass. Think you could give me a few master lessons over Zoom?
I have a cousin who’s played bass for 50 years in bands all around SFL. His first bass was a 1979 Rickenbacker white with black trim (right handed). He retired it about 10 years ago and had a custom glass case made to store it in.

I have a cousin who’s played bass for 50 years in bands all around SFL. His first bass was a 1979 Rickenbacker white with black trim (right handed). He retired it about 10 years ago and had a custom glass case made to store it in.
Oh wow!!!!! That's incredible! He had a Ricky for his first bass? I'm not a bassist although I love to play them occasionally. I play guitar and after a while I realized that I wanted to play both so I borrowed one of my friends basses from time to time. I don't really have a Richenbacher but I would love to have a 4001. I love the sound that Geddy Lee had on the Moving Pictures album. He played a Ricky 4001 exclusively on that record.

He doesn't have it anymore because years ago him and Les Claypool(bass player in Primus) were doing an interview and Les says to Geddy basically the same thing I just said which is that he loves the sound Geddy had on Moving Pictures using the Ricky 4001. Les then tells Geddy that he would love to get his hands on that bass just to play it for while and Geddy says "I've got it at home and I don't use it much anymore. Do you want it?" Les's eyes were as big as saucers man lol. Les says "Are you freaking serious? Heck yeah I want it!" True story.

Advertisement
Oh wow!!!!! That's incredible! He had a Ricky for his first bass? I'm not a bassist although I love to play them occasionally. I play guitar and after a while I realized that I wanted to play both so I borrowed one of my friends basses from time to time. I don't really have a Richenbacher but I would love to have a 4001. I love the sound that Geddy Lee had on the Moving Pictures album. He played a Ricky 4001 exclusively on that record.

He doesn't have it anymore because years ago him and Les Claypool(bass player in Primus) were doing an interview and Les says to Geddy basically the same thing I just said which is that he loves the sound Geddy had on Moving Pictures using the Ricky 4001. Les then tells Geddy that he would love to get his hands on that bass just to play it for while and Geddy says "I've got it at home and I don't use it much anymore. Do you want it?" Les's eyes were as big as saucers man lol. Les says "Are you freaking serious? Heck yeah I want it!" True story.
Yea, his is a 4001. He’s got several others as well including a Fender Jazz bass. I think he has an 5 string too. About 25 years ago, he went to CA to buy a Hoffner (like the one McCartney plays).

His idol growing up was Chris Squire (may he RIP) and Geddy was one of his favorites too.

Advertisement
Yea, his is a 4001. He’s got several others as well including a Fender Jazz bass. I think he has an 5 string too. About 25 years ago, he went to CA to buy a Hoffner (like the one McCartney plays).

His idol growing up was Chris Squire (may he RIP) and Geddy was one of his favorites too.
I love me some Chris Squire(RIP). He must have loved it when Yes played Roundabout at thier Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction with Geddy Lee on bass. I really like Justin Chancellor of Tool as well. He plays Wal basses which are amazing but very pricey! I friend of mine who plays bass has a Fender signature Steve Harris(Iron Maiden)Precision Bass with the West Ham United FC logo on it and everything. He even got Steve to sign it. Turns out Nicko McBrain(Iron Maiden drummer) goes to the same church in Boca Raton that my buddy goes to. So one Sunday he is talking to Nicko after church and he tells him about his signature Steve Harris bass and Nicko says "Would you like Steve to sign it?" My buddy is like uhh yeah! Nicko tells him Steve will be in town the following week and to meet him at his Rib restaurant at such a time and Steve will sign it for you. Really down to earth great bunch of guys and a really cool story.

Change your name to Tom and you might have a deal.

As for that bassline, it's awesome.

I'm pretty sure I saw him in full pads in the Youtube highlights...
He was. I was standing in that end zone during warmups. He looked like he was moving pretty decent tbh. Better than some of the other guys we hear mentioned as in line for playing time. Very odd and frustrating.

Advertisement
I have to correct some misinformation that I posted. I thought I saw Zion in the spring game on the last drive with the 1s. I posted that I had seen that. But on the replay, I did not see Zion. I watched carefully, and he was not in the game, although he was fully dressed out.
I apologize for my error.

I love me some Chris Squire(RIP). He must have loved it when Yes played Roundabout at thier Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction with Geddy Lee on bass. I really like Justin Chancellor of Tool as well. He plays Wal basses which are amazing but very pricey! I friend of mine who plays bass has a Fender signature Steve Harris(Iron Maiden)Precision Bass with the West Ham United FC logo on it and everything. He even got Steve to sign it. Turns out Nicko McBrain(Iron Maiden drummer) goes to the same church in Boca Raton that my buddy goes to. So one Sunday he is talking to Nicko after church and he tells him about his signature Steve Harris bass and Nicko says "Would you like Steve to sign it?" My buddy is like uhh yeah! Nicko tells him Steve will be in town the following week and to meet him at his Rib restaurant at such a time and Steve will sign it for you. Really down to earth great bunch of guys and a really cool story.
Chris Squire is the one who made the Rickenbacker sound so good everyone else wanted one. **** that man could play.

I've owned a handful of Rickenbacker basses and guitars over the years, and they were all great. One in particular was a 1974 that was a custom order. I didn't realize it when I bought it second hand. After owning it a while I decided to sell it. When I listed it I had a man who was writing a book on Rickenbacker basses as me if he could use my pictures for his book. I'm not sure if he did, but he was quite excited about seeing this unique 4001.

Chris Squire is the one who made the Rickenbacker sound so good everyone else wanted one. **** that man could play.

I've owned a handful of Rickenbacker basses and guitars over the years, and they were all great. One in particular was a 1974 that was a custom order. I didn't realize it when I bought it second hand. After owning it a while I decided to sell it. When I listed it I had a man who was writing a book on Rickenbacker basses as me if he could use my pictures for his book. I'm not sure if he did, but he was quite excited about seeing this unique 4001.
Now that's awesome! Ricky guitars too? Very cool! So you had a 74 Ricky 4001 custom? Nice! What exactly was customized? Do you know how it differed from the stock model? What kind of pickups did it have? Great story man. Do you have a copy of the book that guy was writing? Geddy Lee has this huge book he put together called "Geddy Lee's Big Beautiful Book of Bass (a compendium of the rare, iconic and weird)" It's a huge book with tons of photos. Have you seen it?

Advertisement
Back