Off-Topic Big Pharma

Advertisement
Take away people’s medications and you will see how depressed people are.
I don’t think you read the study. Or maybe you did and are admitting its mostly in your head when it comes to these drugs. The problem they claim to be “fixing” has nothing to do with what they’re prescribed for.

I think most people misunderstand mental health problems. Take the article you posted as exhibit a. Respectfully!

That is surprising to me. Too bad the article did not take that next step in addressing what other factors be at play here for depression causes. The fact that serotinin-depression link is not there, does not mean that depression is not caused by chemical imbalances.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Did not read the study the article was written on so won’t comment on whether it has bias or not but it’s not particularly shocking. A good amount of described “depression” is rooted in personality disorders and that’s pretty easy to see if you spend enough time around these people. Big pharma always wins though

Did not read the study the article was written on so won’t comment on whether it has bias or not but it’s not particularly shocking. A good amount of described “depression” is rooted in personality disorders and that’s pretty easy to see if you spend enough time around these people. Big pharma always wins though

Obviously but the key is understand how the disorders are caused. Some of those "disorders" are caused by chemical imbalances. That's the issue.

Advertisement
Thats what I took from it as well. But until there’s a financial incentive to figure each disorder out, you probably won’t get an answer.

IMO this is the opioid crisis, with a less dangerous drug. It’s all about mass appeal.

Obviously but the key is understand how the disorders are caused. Some of those "disorders" are caused by chemical imbalances. That's the issue.
Oh absolutely. I mean I give these meds out myself. There is fault in every portion of this to more (and better) research to patients wanting quick fixes to doctors wanting an easy out to placate someone sitting in front of you.

Many personality disorders have a strong driving force in genetics and environment and are misdiagnosed where I see combo of therapy and mood stabilizing agents have great efficacy. You even see people treating refractory depression with meds from these classes now and having great success

Oh absolutely. I mean I give these meds out myself. There is fault in every portion of this to more (and better) research to patients wanting quick fixes to doctors wanting an easy out to placate someone sitting in front of you.

Many personality disorders have a strong driving force in genetics and environment and are misdiagnosed where I see combo of therapy and mood stabilizing agents have great efficacy. You even see people treating refractory depression with meds from these classes now and having great success

Sounds like you are a healthcare professional that prescribes whether you’re an MD or DO or nurse practitioner or PA or whatever - doesn’t really matter.

Everything you said, in my opinion, is correct. What people don’t understand is that treatment of psychological/psychiatric diseases is not the same, or as straightforward, as other diseases. It’s in a category all itself.

Standards for psychiatric medications, especially depression, are different than they are for other drugs. Look at the placebo arm for any pivotal clinical trial for anti-depressants, let’s say SSRIs, for example, and then look at the pivotal clinical trials for drugs in heart disease, or the treatment of high cholesterol, etc. etc.

They just have different standards scientifically, because the data collection in trials for anti-depressants is not as “tight“ as it would be for other diseases where endpoints can be easily measured by blood tests.

Advertisement
Back