Big development in scholarship aid at Miami - "UM Within Reach"

My understanding is the tuition remission program has also been toned down some over the last 20 years or so. Pretty sure 100% tuition remission is now only available for a dependent child after 10 years of employment by the parent. There is 70% and 85% remission available before then, but if I recall correctly, once upon a time you were fully vested after about 5 years of employment. It's also limited to 128 "attempted credits" now, so the meter may start running if a kid needs freshman forgiveness or additional credits towards a minor/second major.

Ah, gotcha. It makes sense, now that the cost of tuition is so high. My dad worked for Disney for 25 years, and it seemed like the benefits got cut every year or two.

Advertisement
Ah, gotcha. It makes sense, now that the cost of tuition is so high. My dad worked for Disney for 25 years, and it seemed like the benefits got cut every year or two.

I think the difference there is disney used to have a max capacity they would allow on site, while now its a free for all. UM, to my knowledge, hasnt increased their enrollment enough so they probably had to dial it back with the cost of tuition and going to school there skyrocketing

Absolutely. In the last 20 years, the cost of undergraduate tuition at UM has gone up about $30K per year. Total insanity.
Even the 70% of full tuition ($35K) is more $$ than the 100% of 2000-2001 tuition (about $21K). But for a family that has to cover the difference these days, it isn't easy.

Advertisement
A tad confused....so the 85 overall limit doesnt apply if the kid has a legitimate financial need and has good grades?

85 limit ALWAYS applies for the award of athletic scholarships.

BUT.

If the kid is not "recruited" per the NCAA rules and attends the university under the same rules and benefits of any other student, Miami could have 100 walk-ons for all it matters.

It’s my own nephew so I’d rather not say.

All I’ll say is he went on to become an All American, was invited to the Cape Cod league, went in the top 10 rounds of the draft and is currently a legit MLB prospect.

Total disclosure, Morris also f-ed up his recruitment big time. Was tough to pin down on scholarship money and wasn’t nearly as aggressive as the coach where he signed.
Probably could have said his name, never mentioned he was family & noone would have been able to connect the dots. ... just sayin

Advertisement
That is gonna be killer in baseball. We finally have a way to compete with Sullivan at UF.
That was my first reaction too when I saw this. Given that an entire college baseball team is only allowed like 11 total scholarships, so they split them among players, has hurt Miami badly due to the cost of tuition. A half scholarship at UF and you don't have to pay very much, but a half scholarship at UM still leaves you paying a LOT of money, so a lot of baseball players instead choose to go to state schools.

Baseball players get partial scholarships (baseball is an "equivalency scholarship" sport).

If a baseball player gets a half-scholarship at a UF, where the in-state tuition is $6,400 and the total cost of attendance is $21,400, that means the baseball player has to pay for/get financial aid for the other half.

Meanwhile, at UM, the cost of tuition exceeds $50,000 and total cost of attendance is $74,000. That is a MUCH larger amount to pay out-of-pocket/fund with financial aid.

But if UM can now fund all incoming freshmen for the need-based portion of their cost of attendance, that allows a baseball player to LEGITIMATELY get financial aid that is readily available to ALL INCOMING STUDENTS, thus it is not an "extra benefit".

I believe we have had past discussions about schools such as Rice and Vanderbilt being able to fund the total need-based cost of attendance for all incoming freshmen.

It helps.
Same for track I assume.

Advertisement
Back