Big development in scholarship aid at Miami - "UM Within Reach"

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
I linked this page in a separate thread, but this is something I have been calling for...well, it's been a long time coming.

From here on out, all the "Joaquin Gonzalezes" of the world will be able to go to UM without having to worry about tuition (and, yes, I know Joaquin got an academic scholarship).

Thus, if an athlete (particularly a PWO candidate in football, or a baseball player who gets a fractional athletic scholarship) is a good student and has financial need, they should not have to worry about UM's massive cost of tuition any longer.

Enjoy.

Advertisement
Can you elaborate more?

Baseball players get partial scholarships (baseball is an "equivalency scholarship" sport).

If a baseball player gets a half-scholarship at a UF, where the in-state tuition is $6,400 and the total cost of attendance is $21,400, that means the baseball player has to pay for/get financial aid for the other half.

Meanwhile, at UM, the cost of tuition exceeds $50,000 and total cost of attendance is $74,000. That is a MUCH larger amount to pay out-of-pocket/fund with financial aid.

But if UM can now fund all incoming freshmen for the need-based portion of their cost of attendance, that allows a baseball player to LEGITIMATELY get financial aid that is readily available to ALL INCOMING STUDENTS, thus it is not an "extra benefit".

I believe we have had past discussions about schools such as Rice and Vanderbilt being able to fund the total need-based cost of attendance for all incoming freshmen.

It helps.

Advertisement
Huge deal for the baseball program. The reason Vanderbilt has such a big advantage over other baseball programs is that they have a similar program established.

College baseball is changing dramatically with all of the television money in other conferences. Teams are now building indoor practice facilities and taking away a lot of the advantage southern schools have with the weather.

Due to cost of attendance, if Miami wants to compete in baseball, something like this will be a must. It will help with the walk-on program for the football team as well, which can be a huge benefit to a program.

People often overlook the fact that your scout team is the group that prepares your starters to play each week. Having legitimate talent who are versatile and stand in for different types of players will be impactful for practice depth, plus it improves the chances of uncovering a player who needed time to develop before becoming a scholarship guy.

Huge deal for the baseball program. The reason Vanderbilt has such a big advantage over other baseball programs is that they have a similar program established.

College baseball is changing dramatically with all of the television money in other conferences. Teams are now building indoor practice facilities and taking away a lot of the advantage southern schools have with the weather.

Due to cost of attendance, if Miami wants to compete in baseball, something like this will be a must. It will help with the walk-on program for the football team as well, which can be a huge benefit to a program.

People often overlook the fact that your scout team is the group that prepares your starters to play each week. Having legitimate talent who are versatile and stand in for different types of players will be impactful for practice depth, plus it improves the chances of uncovering a player who needed time to develop before becoming a scholarship guy.

Hey, Lance, quick question for you.

You referenced TV money, and I can understand the concept as it relates to the conference channels (i.e., ACC Network). However, I have yet to see ESPN or any of the other "network" sports channels (NBCSN, CBSS, etc.) add any significant hours of coverage. And if there was anything "in the works" for 2020, we are not going to see it due to the loss of the season.

So my question is, this, if the "TV money" for baseball is coming predominantly (99%? 100%?) from the conference networks, how does this change the equation? Meaning, if you were going to get $10 million from the ACC for ACC Network revenues, where is the guarantee that some/any of that money goes towards baseball? After all, didn't we have the ability to spend whatever we wanted on baseball previously? If you give us more money that is not earmarked for baseball, is there anything that requires us to spend more on baseball?

And I'm not expecting you know the answer to this, BUT WHAT IN THE **** IS PREVENTING ESPN FROM CARRYING COLLEGE BASEBALL? I see more women's softball on ESPN. And I am not begrudging women's sports, I just can't understand why women's softball gets more hours on a national cable network (I don't care whether it's ESPN, or NBC, or CBS), and college baseball doesn't have a national package deal with SOMEBODY.

Thank you, sir!

Advertisement
Watched with my own eyes how the costs associated with attending the U cost them a top flight player who later blew up elsewhere.

This is huge.

Yep, I've been talking about this issue for some time, while dimwits such as "Jaromir Jagr" would go on and on and on about how DiMare was just a horrible recruiter and even worse human being.

Advertisement
Does this help the Football program at all?

Have you ever taken a gander at our preferred walk-ons either in a program or online? Its comical compared to most other schools. This allows for far better PWO's to attend Miami due to the financial burden being cut down drastically. It gives us much better guys to practice against, as well as more diamond in the rough guys who could end up producing on Saturdays.

Have you ever taken a gander at our preferred walk-ons either in a program or online? Its comical compared to most other schools. This allows for far better PWO's to attend Miami due to the financial burden being cut down drastically. It gives us much better guys to practice against, as well as more diamond in the rough guys who could end up producing on Saturdays.

Thank you

Advertisement
This is great news for baseball and football. I always wondered if the quality of walk-on players was severely impacted by the cost of tuition. Even if they never play in a game, the scout team needs bodies and the better the scout team talent, the better prepared the players on the first and second team are.

You gonna leave us hanging?

It’s my own nephew so I’d rather not say.

All I’ll say is he went on to become an All American, was invited to the Cape Cod league, went in the top 10 rounds of the draft and is currently a legit MLB prospect.

Total disclosure, Morris also f-ed up his recruitment big time. Was tough to pin down on scholarship money and wasn’t nearly as aggressive as the coach where he signed.

This is great news for baseball and football. I always wondered if the quality of walk-on players was severely impacted by the cost of tuition. Even if they never play in a game, the scout team needs bodies and the better the scout team talent, the better prepared the players on the first and second team are.

Just FYI, Carlos Huerta was a walk-on (at least initially), he had relatives who worked at UM, and he had tuition remission.

Just FYI, Carlos Huerta was a walk-on (at least initially), he had relatives who worked at UM, and he had tuition remission.

My understanding is the tuition remission program has also been toned down some over the last 20 years or so. Pretty sure 100% tuition remission is now only available for a dependent child after 10 years of employment by the parent. There is 70% and 85% remission available before then, but if I recall correctly, once upon a time you were fully vested after about 5 years of employment. It's also limited to 128 "attempted credits" now, so the meter may start running if a kid needs freshman forgiveness or additional credits towards a minor/second major.

Advertisement
Back