Off-Topic BEWARE: Chicken Nugget

Advertisement
Advertisement
Reminds me of this case from 1992:

In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald’s and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

Typical reaction: Isn’t coffee supposed to be hot? And McDonald’s didn’t pour the coffee on her, she spilled it on herself (taking the lid off)!

Reminds me of this case from 1992:

In 1992, 79-year-old Stella Liebeck bought a cup of takeout coffee at a McDonald’s drive-thru in Albuquerque and spilled it on her lap. She sued McDonald’s and a jury awarded her nearly $3 million in punitive damages for the burns she suffered.

Typical reaction: Isn’t coffee supposed to be hot? And McDonald’s didn’t pour the coffee on her, she spilled it on herself (taking the lid off)!

We have already discussed this at great length somewhere else on this board.

She was sitting in a bucket seat, with her seatbelt on (as she should have, for safety purposes). The McDonald's coffee was MUCH hotter than it should have been, and McDonald's had prior knowledge of the issue. The woman suffered serious burns on her inner thighs and other lady-parts.

Her initial request of McDonald's was ONLY to pay for the actual medical expenses, and McDonald's refused that reasonble settlement offer.

And the punitive damages were REDUCED by the judge in a post-trial motion called remittitur.

Advertisement

Fair enough.

Yeah, the difference between $156K and $800K, once you factor in the time and expense of a lawsuit, as well as attorney's fees, is minimal, and the case should have settled out for an amount closer to the low end (and which insurance would have covered).

I'd be curious to find out if there was similar evidence regarding whether McD's knew, or should have known, that the food was just way too hot.

Advertisement
Fair enough.

Yeah, the difference between $156K and $800K, once you factor in the time and expense of a lawsuit, as well as attorney's fees, is minimal, and the case should have settled out for an amount closer to the low end (and which insurance would have covered).

I'd be curious to find out if there was similar evidence regarding whether McD's knew, or should have known, that the food was just way too hot.
I'm going to head to drive through with no pants on.

60ct party platter you McDonald's ********.

One of them has to be my lucky nugget.

chicken nuggets diet GIF

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back