Bethune Cookman, Game 2

Jaromir Jagr

Senior
Banned
Bethune 7 Miami 6 in the 8th inning.

Has anyone noticed that we haven't had a baseball article in a while?

Advertisement
Yes.
Why do the moron coaches continue pitching Cook and Hammond? They are by far the worst pitchers I have ever seen!

Yes.
Why do the moron coaches continue pitching Cook and Hammond? They are by far the worst pitchers I have ever seen!
Clearly you haven’t seen the other options of Mediavilla, Epstein, or Cloonan pitch this season then.

Hammond did a nice job holding the deficit to one run (and getting over to first to cover for the final out of the 8th). Cook does seem to have hit the freshman wall and isn’t nearly as effective as he was a couple weeks ago.

Last edited:
Canes won 8-7 on a Cloonan walkoff single.

After hitting 12 homeruns in the first 38 games, we’ve hit 7 in the last 7 games. Gil is showing good power the last couple weeks but still needs to make significant strides in the consistent contact department.

The fielding remains a challenge with Zamora playing particularly poorly this weekend at shortstop. McKendry has made 3 defensive errors in his last two starts.

Advertisement
Canes complete the sweep 12-11 on a Romy walkoff single. It was one of the worst played college baseball games I have ever seen. It’s the first non conference series sweep in two years, and the first four game winning streak of the season.

We were down 4-0 before a 90+ min rain delay in the second. We then took an 11-4 lead before blowing it beginning with an error (or should be error) filled 5th with Mediavilla on the mound.

Gil made some great plays defensively and hit the ball hard in 4 of his 5 at bats despite only ending up with a lone single. Cloonan also had a strong day at the plate, and dating back to last Sunday against FSU looks like the hitter that impressed me in the fall.

Bethune 7 Miami 6 in the 8th inning.

Has anyone noticed that we haven't had a baseball article in a while?

We're at the point now where fans have totally checked out on the team and given up hope. At least when we were complaining it showed we still care. If Miami wants to ride and die with DiMare, so be it. I'm not watching another game until Miami starts taking baseball seriously again.

I was at the game yesterday for a few innings after the rain delay and there were about 40-50 fans left. Not surprising after a 90 minute delay and 85 degree heat. But while I was there I saw the sloppiest baseball ever. Tackett dropped a fly ball, Mediavilla couldn't get anyone out, Cook fired a ball into RF, multiple mental mistakes and runners LOB. It was 11-4 Miami when I arrived and 11-10 when I left. Came back in time to see the walk-off hit. Canes had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Morris had Burns bunt and naturally he popped it up Jemile Weeks 2008 CWS style and nearly killed the rally. Bunting in that situation has never worked in 25 years. Quinones lined out to 3B to set up Romy's walk-off and the team celebrated like wild injuns.

Advertisement
I was at the game yesterday for a few innings after the rain delay and there were about 40-50 fans left. Not surprising after a 90 minute delay and 85 degree heat. But while I was there I saw the sloppiest baseball ever. Tackett dropped a fly ball, Mediavilla couldn't get anyone out, Cook fired a ball into RF, multiple mental mistakes and runners LOB. It was 11-4 Miami when I arrived and 11-10 when I left. Came back in time to see the walk-off hit. Canes had runners on 1st and 2nd with no outs and Morris had Burns bunt and naturally he popped it up Jemile Weeks 2008 CWS style and nearly killed the rally. Bunting in that situation has never worked in 25 years. Quinones lined out to 3B to set up Romy's walk-off and the team celebrated like wild injuns.

Sounds like a bunch of things that can't be fixed by technology.

FYI, the bunt has worked many times, especially the 1st and 2nd bunt.

Sounds like a bunch of things that can't be fixed by technology.

FYI, the bunt has worked many times, especially the 1st and 2nd bunt.

Lol at bunting never working in that situation. Rok is so good at exposing himself as knowing so little about every sport he watches. One run needed to win the game, your 3 hole hitter on deck and a .250 hitter with no pop at the plate and no outs, what else is the move but sacrifice bunting? Burns choked.

It took clicking on about three games to find this. Sac bunt with 1st and 2nd, intentional walk, then next guy hit a sac fly. And we won this game by one run.

Sobolewski singled to left field (1-2); Raben, D. advanced to second. O'Dell, B. to p for
Villanueva,E. Jackson, R. grounded out to p, SAC, bunt (1-0); Sobolewski
advanced to second; Raben, D. advanced to third. Severino, A. intentionally
walked (3-0). DiNatale, D. flied out to rf, SAC, RBI (1-2); Sobolewski advanced
to third; Raben, D. scored. Hagerty, J. popped up to 1b (1-1).

What's funny is that Zamora squared around to bunt with Escala on 1st (no issue with that) and got HBP.

So even with a runner already in scoring position, Morris decides he'd rather give away another out by asking someone to bunt smh. And then of course it leads to an easy out and a murdered rally just like Omaha 2008.

LOL as I type this there's a commercial on 790 about Canes baseball and the road to Omaha!

Advertisement
What's funny is that Zamora squared around to bunt with Escala on 1st (no issue with that) and got HBP.

So even with a runner already in scoring position, Morris decides he'd rather give away another out by asking someone to bunt smh. And then of course it leads to an easy out and a murdered rally just like Omaha 2008.

LOL as I type this there's a commercial on 790 about Canes baseball and the road to Omaha!

So you don't think it's ideal to have runners on second and third with less than two outs? You want THIS lineup to try to get hits?

It took clicking on about three games to find this. Sac bunt with 1st and 2nd, intentional walk, then next guy hit a sac fly. And we won this game by one run.

Sobolewski singled to left field (1-2); Raben, D. advanced to second. O'Dell, B. to p for
Villanueva,E. Jackson, R. grounded out to p, SAC, bunt (1-0); Sobolewski
advanced to second; Raben, D. advanced to third. Severino, A. intentionally
walked (3-0). DiNatale, D. flied out to rf, SAC, RBI (1-2); Sobolewski advanced
to third; Raben, D. scored. Hagerty, J. popped up to 1b (1-1).

25 seasons of this **** smh.

So many rallies killed and runs left on the field by future MLB sluggers weilding aluminum bats asked to bunt repeatedly, and it's defended here!

It wouldn't have mattered if Barry Bonds came up to bat in that spot instead of Burns, Morris would've had him bunt because he knows just one way. Watching DiMare shake his head after Burns failed provides a sliver of hope that maybe he would've allowed the kids to play baseball in that spot, with a runner in scoring position and nobody out. But he was probably just bummed about the lack of execution because he's likely a robot just like 3. The practice of giving away outs is retarded and doesn't work, as was evidenced for the 7 billionth time yesterday afternoon.

Advertisement

This can't be a serious post.

25 seasons of this **** smh.

So many rallies killed and runs left on the field by future MLB sluggers weilding aluminum bats asked to bunt repeatedly, and it's defended here!

It's defended because there are times when a sacrifice bunt is the right call.

It wouldn't have mattered if Barry Bonds came up to bat in that spot instead of Burns, Morris would've had him bunt because he knows just one way. Watching DiMare shake his head after Burns failed provides a sliver of hope that maybe he would've allowed the kids to play baseball in that spot, with a runner in scoring position and nobody out. But he was probably just bummed about the lack of execution because he's likely a robot just like 3. The practice of giving away outs is retarded and doesn't work, as was evidenced for the 7 billionth time yesterday afternoon.

So you would rather let this team try to get base hits? The team that strikes out 16 times in 9 innings needs to be swinging away?

So you don't think it's ideal to have runners on second and third with less than two outs? You want THIS lineup to try to get hits?
Agree that a bunt is the right baseball call in that situation. Makes the most sense. I do get the theory that a single by Burns brings in Escala from 2nd, but that's not a sure bet, especially when the OF is coming home with the throw all the way. I know Romy bounced a ball up the middle and Escala scored to win it, but that was a pretty close play at the plate. IF executed right (spoiler: it wasn't), the bunt is the right call there to set up 2nd/3rd where a single wins it with zero doubts.

One overarching point I want to make is that if you have runners at 1st/2nd, and you're batting in the 2 hole for the University of Miami Hurricanes versus the Methune Crackman Mildcats, and you can't either 1) get a bunt down to move them over or 2) punch a ball thru the infield to advance everyone and maybe even get on yourself...then you have no business hitting in the 2 hole for the University of Miami. Maybe Miami (OH), but not Miami (FL).

Advertisement
Back