Bethel, legacies and notes. pbp

andy Bethel had a strong career as a Hurricanes tight end from 1987-90. Like his father, Patrick Bethel signed with UM as a defensive end out of Vero Beach High. Once he enrolled in January, he was given jersey No. 93, same as dad.
Bethel is one of several Hurricanes legacies on this year’s roster. The others are redshirt sophomore quarterback Vincent Testaverde, who wears his Heisman-winning father’s No. 14; sophomore walk-on linebacker Eddie Dunn (grandson of the UM great of the same name), currently injured redshirt freshman defensive end Scott Patchan (son of Matt, a former UM left tackle) and two incoming signees, tight end Michael Irvin II (son of The Playmaker) and safety Jeff James (Edgerrin’s nephew).
At Thursday’s practice, Bethel, a 6-foot-3, 260-pound former four-star recruit, lined up as a third-stringer behind Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson. Redshirting is not in Bethel’s plans.
“This year I hope to work to the point where I catch the coach’s eye and my work ethic, my play, forces them to put me on the field,” he said. “My goal is to keep working my way up.”
His father coached him freshman year at Sebastian River and was Vero Beach’s defensive line assistant his junior and senior years. What was his advice when he sent off his son to school?
“He just told me to come in and work until you drop, until somebody’s got to remove you,” Bethel said. “Keep working until the sun goes down and it’ll pay off.”
Noteworthy: At Thursday’s practice, the first-string offensive line was left tackle Trevor Darling, left guard Kc McDermott, center Alex Gall (starter Nick Linder remains out after offseason shoulder surgery), right guard Danny Isidora and right tackle Tyree St. Louis. The second string was left tackle Bar Milo, left guard Hayden Mahoney, center Tyler Gauthier, right guard Hunter Knighton and right tackle Jahair Jones. Right tackle Sunny Odogwu (offseason knee surgery) has been dressing for practices, but not participating.
The first four working in defensive line drills were, left to right, end Chad Thomas, tackles RJ McIntosh and Courtel Jenkins, and end Al-Quadin Muhammad. The second unit was Demetrius Jackson, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton and Trent Harris. Bethel, Anthony Moten and Ryan Fines were the third unit.
- See more at: Hurricanes practice notes: Patrick Bethel carving his own path | Canes Watch

Advertisement
Offensive line looks like it might work when Linder gets back. Couple of surpises with DTS. I'm sure nothing is set in stone yet.

Bethel will grow into a DT....

I thought the name "Dunn" looked familiar....that's an old-timer name there - an All-American, I think....

Bethel will grow into a DT....

I thought the name "Dunn" looked familiar....that's an old-timer name there - an All-American, I think....

Grandpa Dunn was heck of player and team captain -- beat gator in our 1st game. He even coached Miami. Gary, his son played Dline and was long time Steeler with couple Super Bowls. Heck of a player. This is original Cane Royal family.

Advertisement
No depth on the OL, but I don't hate that first string when Linder gets back.

The talent on our DL, though -- at least on paper, ****. Can't help but be optimistic about that line, which man, what a feeling to enjoy again.

Don't get me wrong because getting Linder healthy by week 3 in the season is important, but you guys are crazy if you don't think Sunny Odogwu is just as important if not more then Linder. I can bet CMR doesn't want to go into the season with a Soph and RSFrosh starting as my tackles with 2 RSFrosh behind them. yikes

Advertisement
Don't get me wrong because getting Linder healthy by week 3 in the season is important, but you guys are crazy if you don't think Sunny Odogwu is just as important if not more then Linder. I can bet CMR doesn't want to go into the season with a Soph and RSFrosh starting as my tackles with 2 RSFrosh behind them. yikes

What? Trevor Darling, starting Tackle, is going to be a junior.

How so many posters get basic facts wrong about this team in an effort to be negative baffles me

I think the OL will be much improved under this OL coach and staff. Sure no depth but better coaching and DL pressure will make these kids better. Now if the previous idiots were still here then I'd be very scared.

I think the OL will be much improved under this OL coach and staff. Sure no depth but better coaching and DL pressure will make these kids better. Now if the previous idiots were still here then I'd be very scared.

whomever is at left tackle going against Quan will be battle-tested. Hopefully Bar gets some of that, too.

andy Bethel had a strong career as a Hurricanes tight end from 1987-90. Like his father, Patrick Bethel signed with UM as a defensive end out of Vero Beach High. Once he enrolled in January, he was given jersey No. 93, same as dad.
Bethel is one of several Hurricanes legacies on this year’s roster. The others are redshirt sophomore quarterback Vincent Testaverde, who wears his Heisman-winning father’s No. 14; sophomore walk-on linebacker Eddie Dunn (grandson of the UM great of the same name), currently injured redshirt freshman defensive end Scott Patchan (son of Matt, a former UM left tackle) and two incoming signees, tight end Michael Irvin II (son of The Playmaker) and safety Jeff James (Edgerrin’s nephew).
At Thursday’s practice, Bethel, a 6-foot-3, 260-pound former four-star recruit, lined up as a third-stringer behind Chad Thomas and Demetrius Jackson. Redshirting is not in Bethel’s plans.
“This year I hope to work to the point where I catch the coach’s eye and my work ethic, my play, forces them to put me on the field,” he said. “My goal is to keep working my way up.”
His father coached him freshman year at Sebastian River and was Vero Beach’s defensive line assistant his junior and senior years. What was his advice when he sent off his son to school?
“He just told me to come in and work until you drop, until somebody’s got to remove you,” Bethel said. “Keep working until the sun goes down and it’ll pay off.”
Noteworthy: At Thursday’s practice, the first-string offensive line was left tackle Trevor Darling, left guard Kc McDermott, center Alex Gall (starter Nick Linder remains out after offseason shoulder surgery), right guard Danny Isidora and right tackle Tyree St. Louis. The second string was left tackle Bar Milo, left guard Hayden Mahoney, center Tyler Gauthier, right guard Hunter Knighton and right tackle Jahair Jones. Right tackle Sunny Odogwu (offseason knee surgery) has been dressing for practices, but not participating.
The first four working in defensive line drills were, left to right, end Chad Thomas, tackles RJ McIntosh and Courtel Jenkins, and end Al-Quadin Muhammad. The second unit was Demetrius Jackson, Gerald Willis, Kendrick Norton and Trent Harris. Bethel, Anthony Moten and Ryan Fines were the third unit.
- See more at: Hurricanes practice notes: Patrick Bethel carving his own path | Canes Watch

His name is not Andy, it's Randy. Appreciate the info, but please get his name right.

Advertisement
First time we've heard Demetrius Jacksons name in a bit. Pulling for this kid big time. Love our DE depth

Advertisement
Back