Best ON PAPER secondary in a long time

No it isn't. 3/10 of the players you listed never played a down in CFB, Clarke, Dunson and Smith played very little, IIRC TS hasn't played much corner at this level and will be in a new scheme, Couch, Bolden and Frierson were up and down. Blades, Hall and Ivey were awful

Obviously, I expect us to improve over the last couple of years, but Potential is a huge way from production. IMO, 2018 secondary had a higher floor coming into the year

Advertisement
Tyrique Stevenson. Bubba Bolden, James Williams, Avantae Williams, Kamren Kinchens, Te'Cory Couch, Marcus Clarke, Isaiah Dunson, Gilbert Frierson, Keontra Smith

That's a lot of stars. Excited to see what the future holds for these guys.
That is an impressive group on paper. If not constrained by the Diaz/Baker defensive scheme, I'm sure TRob can do some great things with this group.

I might be the only one, but I'm expecting Blades and Ivy to be noticeably improved under T Rob
If they do. They improve because it’s they 4th year at this level. If not they will be sitting behind couch and possibly Tyrique. TRob potentially has a talented room to work with. So it will likely be who can adjust with a clean slate quicker. My money is always on the experienced guys to be able to do that. Mentally they need to take a step forward

Advertisement
I expect noticeable improvement from Blades. He has the talent and has flashed at times despite previous poor coaching. With Trob he should be able to get the most out of him. Ivey, I just don't see it. I tried to give the benefit of the doubt to him and rewatched some film and man he just doesn't have it. Very stiff hips, doesn't turn his head, has terrible ball skills, plays with zero confidence, and doesn't seem to understand leverage. I hope I'm wrong because the experience would be valuable but I just don't see it with him.

Couch should definitely be our slot guy, that will be his money position at the next level if he makes it. Has a little Jonathan Jones in his game from what I can see.

If we can have TS as the LC and Blades as the RC with Couch in the Slot, and one of the younger guys takes a step into being a viable #3 CB, I'll be more confident in our pass D than I have in a while.

are we adding another cb to that list. Also you have no blades ans Ivey on there.
Because neither of them ******* belong on there!!! What games were you watching this year if you didn’t see both of them stinking up the joint?

Ivey and Hall not on that list. Let's see what they can do with new blood coaching them. Ivey will be a 4th year starter, no?

I've seen enough young guys flame out to temper my expectations. But there is proven talent and intriguing incoming talent, for sure.

I am with D$. Couch is a slot. He played ok, I guess, when Blades went out. But his size, change of direction, and stickiness tell me he is a slot all the way. So was Bandy. When we moved Bandy outside, he regressed.

Tyreke and Blades/Ivey outside, Couch in the slot. Bolden and Hall. All these guys are legit starters and wouldn't be playing favorites, IMO, if the staff started them. If they get beat out, that is a good thing, cause it shows the younger talent is for real.
Ivey sucks, accept it! He’s not a legit starter in any way shape or form and will only be depth here under Trob who knows what a real power five starting CB is supposed to look like and that doesn’t look like a guy who runs a 4.9, has no instincts, stiff hips and absolutely no feel for the game. Ivey might and I say might, be a group of five starter on a lower end group of five team with the right coaching which is anything besides Rumph.

Advertisement
Ivey sucks, accept it! He’s not a legit starter in any way shape or form and will only be depth here under Trob who knows what a real power five starting CB is supposed to look like and that doesn’t look like a guy who runs a 4.9, has no instincts, stiff hips and absolutely no feel for the game. Ivey might and I say might, be a group of five starter on a lower end group of five team with the right coaching which is anything besides Rumph.
I think I was an Ivey hater last year, then picked him to be my most improved on defense this year. Clearly I was wrong there.

However, I think he is the perfect candidate to benefit from new coaching. He is consistently in position (hence, why I picked him to be most improved), but just lacks ball skills. A new coach can help in that regard.

The backup QB is the most popular guy in town. Guys like you love crowning the incoming freshman. Guys like me have been here long enough to see guys like Leonard Hankerson and Tommy Streeter have the light turn on as upperclassmen. Even Knowles became a contributor in his 8th season.

If Ivey didn't show the coaches something on Greentree, he wouldn't be a 3 year starter. If the younger guys are better, then he will be passed. As I said, that would be great news. But writing him off is doomer ****.

I think we will see a noticeable improvement from our CBs just by virtue of playing man bumb and run.

Nobody looks good when you're purposely allowing completions in front of you.

Also Trob teaching them proper bump and run technique will be a bonus.

I expect Blades to do well next year.

CB: Tyrique/Couch
S: Bolden/James Williams
S: Hall/Avantae
CB: Blades/Ivey

Will be a very good backfield. When is the last time we had 4 seniors and 2 juniors in our DB 2 deep?

That is an impressive group on paper. If not constrained by the Diaz/Baker defensive scheme, I'm sure TRob can do some great things with this group.
Manny defense haven't been the same since M. Jackson/M. Young/ T. Bandy trio.
It's funny because we thought that was the floor of Manny defense; however, it's the ceiling now.

Advertisement
No it isn't. 3/10 of the players you listed never played a down in CFB, Clarke, Dunson and Smith played very little, IIRC TS hasn't played much corner at this level and will be in a new scheme, Couch, Bolden and Frierson were up and down. Blades, Hall and Ivey were awful

Obviously, I expect us to improve over the last couple of years, but Potential is a huge way from production. IMO, 2018 secondary had a higher floor coming into the year
That's what on paper means.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back