Best Note of Media Day: Coach Steele

RedSquare

Freshman
Advertisement
Steele, on what he likes about his defense: “We can run. We’re a fast football team."

For those of us who watched a plodding and very 'non-UM' looking defense the past several years, this is very encouraging. Steele knows a fast UM defense when he sees one, and if that's where we are, then we are in the right lane.

TBH, that's meaningless. I remember those same exact kinds of quotes from Danny Miaz and his ilk last year before bama in how we were a very fast team. Turns out we may have been fast but we were not physical at all.

Advertisement
Steele, on what he likes about his defense: “We can run. We’re a fast football team."

For those of us who watched a plodding and very 'non-UM' looking defense the past several years, this is very encouraging. Steele knows a fast UM defense when he sees one, and if that's where we are, then we are in the right lane.

And we won’t be at a disadvantage from an alignment standpoint before the other team snaps the ball

Manny’s Defense was awful at that

Miami’s problems on defense last year weren’t because they were slow. It was a combination of undisciplined football and really bad tackling. Plus the fact that there really weren’t many good players in the front 7.

Advertisement
Miami’s problems on defense last year weren’t because they were slow. It was a combination of undisciplined football and really bad tackling. Plus the fact that there really weren’t many good players in the front 7.
All three are true: Bad tackling + Undisciplined football + Slow (especially when it came to reacting)

Yeah I gotta see it, tired of falling for this every year lol I remember they said we was moving at warp speed one year under golden 😂

All three are true: Bad tackling + Undisciplined football + Slow (especially when it came to reacting)
I’m glad you included the last point about reacting.

Too many people confuse being fast with playing fast. Often the players who seem the fastest are the ones who have accurately diagnosed a play and arrive a step sooner than someone who did not; sometimes arriving even before a “faster”player.
As an example, other than the Fields catch at the end of the PSU-UM game in 1999, I don’t recall Ed Reed ever not catch a player. Reed always arrived in time, if not early, and made the play. Reed was fast but he was nowhere near the fastest DB on the UM team, and that was even more true in the NFL. But Reed understand pre-snap what was likely to occur, and his reaction time once a play began was as elite.

Maybe we were a traditionally slow team last year on defense, but I agree that we were slow to react and that comes back to coaching and preparation. Even James Williams (I know true freshman) was late more than once. James certainly is not slow, but he was late. Once our coaching has our team prepared, we will be pleasantly surprised at how much faster we appear.

Advertisement
Advertisement
TBH, that's meaningless. I remember those same exact kinds of quotes from Danny Miaz and his ilk last year before bama in how we were a very fast team. Turns out we may have been fast but we were not physical at all.
I disagree the source of the assessment matters.

x factor GIF

24:54 He seems to be confident to face A&M and Clemson!

I listed to the entire interview and highly recommend. By the way, our sofla reporters are clueless. The entire second half of that interview was filled with awful questions including my favorite when Steele said that he and Mario had worked together in the past and one reporter said "You and Mario worked together??? Where was THAT?!!" Way to do your homework

Advertisement
Back