Best Cane DL in College

Themadcane

All day cane
Premium
We have time for another one before the weekend with hopefully some good news

Top five for me- i am not old enough to see Hendricks so I am not putting him on my list although based upon what i have read he should be #1.

Jerome Brown
Tez
Sapp
Russell Maryland
Stubbs

Honorable Mention- Big Vince

Pretty Amazing looking back how much better our DT have been than our DE.

Advertisement
From the old tapes that I've seen, its Brown, Sapp, Maryland and Wilfork in that order.

With Wilfork making the most impressive jump in the NFL. He went from being a talented one-gap athletic freak to an elite two-gap athletic freak defensive lineman who made the Jets fumble twice because of a O-Linemans rear end.

We have time for another one before the weekend with hopefully some good news

Top five for me- i am not old enough to see Hendricks so I am not putting him on my list although based upon what i have read he should be #1.

Jerome Brown
Tez
Sapp
Russell Maryland
Stubbs

Honorable Mention- Big Vince

Pretty Amazing looking back how much better our DT have been than our DE.
1A- Sapp
1B- Jerome
2- Tez
3-Maryland
4-Vince
And Stubbs was a DE not a DT

Advertisement
I said DL not DT hence my comment most our best DL were tackles not ends- which was surprising to me considering recent history.
To say most of our best DLmen were Interior and not exterior is ludicrous....
Ted Hendricks (UMs only 3 Time 1st team AA)
Stubbs
Medearis
Calais Campbell
Kevin ***an
Kenny Holmes
Olivier Vernon
Greg Mark
McDougall
Kenard Lang
Bill Hawkins
Jimmy Jones
Darren Krein.....c'mon man...there's alot more as well....

Last edited:
To say most of our best DLmen were Interior and not exterior is ludicrous....
Ted Hendricks (UMs only 3 Time 1st team AA)
Stubbs
Medearis
Calais Campbell
Kevin ***an
Kenny Holmes
Olivier Vernon
Greg Mark
McDougall
Kenard Lang
Bill Hawkins
Jimmy Jones
Darren Krein.....c'mon man...there's alot more as well....
As I said Hendricks would be #1 but never saw him.

Yes we had excellent players but which of these would crack your top 5/6

As I said Hendricks would be #1 but never saw him.

Yes we had excellent players but which of these would crack your top 5/6
Hendricks is the Greatest DLman (regardless of position) in UM History....
Can't combine Interior vs exterior in that Top 5-6 context....To say Medearis, ***an or Mark's isn't that type of caliber is insane. (Especially Medearis) Just because the Sapp's, Browns and Marylands get all the accolades (well deserved) should never diminish what the DEs mentioned did at UM.

Warren Sapp did things that I didn’t think a DT could do. How many fat guys have you ever seen run down a running back from behind? And I don’t mean like the running back hit some traffic and had to slow down first. We’re talking about a toss where the back had nothing but space in front of him and Sapp literally tackled him from behind.

We had a really nice run on NFL caliber ends from the late 80’s through the mid 90’s. They don’t get as much credit as a lot of the tackles got but those guys were beasts.

Advertisement
Can't combine Interior vs exterior in that Top 5-6 context....To say Medearis, ***an or Mark's isn't that type of caliber is insane. (Especially Medearis) Just because the Sapp's, Browns and Marylands get all the accolades (well deserved) should never diminish what the DEs mentioned did at UM.
You can make your own thread with just DT’s or DE’s.
This thread said all DL combined.

I did my list and 4 of 5 were DT.

Warren Sapp did things that I didn’t think a DT could do. How many fat guys have you ever seen run down a running back from behind? And I don’t mean like the running back hit some traffic and had to slow down first. We’re talking about a toss where the back had nothing but space in front of him and Sapp literally tackled him from behind.

We had a really nice run on NFL caliber ends from the late 80’s through the mid 90’s. They don’t get as much credit as a lot of the tackles got but those guys were beasts.
Butch told me numerous times, Sapp's the best Interior DLman he's ever seen at UM, and he was Jerome's DL coach for 3 out of 4yrs (Harold Allen was JBs coach as a Frosh)

Advertisement
From the old tapes that I've seen, its Brown, Sapp, Maryland and Wilfork in that order.

With Wilfork making the most impressive jump in the NFL. He went from being a talented one-gap athletic freak to an elite two-gap athletic freak defensive lineman who made the Jets fumble twice because of a O-Linemans rear end.
No way was Wilfork or Maryland better than Tez....they might have played at UM longer. But what Tez did in only 2yrs is unparalleled.

Advertisement
A lot of terrific talent, but Sapp the best of modern era Miami DTs. Wilfork & Cortez took longer to develop. Sapp was **** on wheels.

I’ve never seen Ted play, but when u look at the accolades both at the collegiate & NFL level, I don’t need to see him to play to know bro was a beast. He’s a top 75 & top 100 NFL player of all time w 4 rings & stats to match. Ppl always tend to chit on the past or not give it the acknowledgement it deserves when they didn’t see it in person. I see it in the NBA w/ newer fans all the time.

Completely agree w/ u

Advertisement
Back