Best 3rd down performance since 2012

Just a quick refresher. Last season, Miami not only had the worst 3rd down offense in the entire country, but the percentage was the 2nd worst percentage of every single team in the past 4 seasons.

Think about that for a second. 130 teams in FBS ball, over 4 years. That’s 520 teams. Miami’s 2019 3rd down percentage was 2nd worst of those 520 seasons. That’s literally unfathomable.

So, many of us talked Lashlee all summer, and we talked about the improvement he brought to SMU in that same department.

Well, here we are. Game 3 of his regime with basically no spring and limited practice time. And we just went 11/16 on 3rd down tonight.

That’s 68.7%.

That’s the best single game performance on 3rd down that this program has had since TWENTY TWELVE.

On 9/22/12 (8 ******* years ago), we went 11/16 as well on 3rd down in a win against GT. Jaylan Knighton was in 4th grade. And this dude Lashlee comes in and converts 11/16 against our biggest rival while dropping a god**** 50 burger.

Lashlee is the real deal. King is the REAL DEAL. This offense is LEGIT. This defense is LEGIT. These kickers are LEGIT. This ******* football team is LEGIT.

Get healthy, stay smart, stay focused. We got a world to flip the fúck upside down in front of a national audience in 2 weeks.

LFG

Advertisement
So, yes. All of this. Everything you're saying, agreed.

The success on O will come down (at least somewhat) as teams start to learn how we operate on O. And... what happens when King is gone? Lashlee has earned carte blanche in all of three games, so I'm not worried. But I have to imagine next year's starter is TVD, I know the staff is very high on him, but I seriously doubt he has the running ability King does.

By no means trying to be a downer, things are looking on the up for this season, but let's remember it's early.

So, yes. All of this. Everything you're saying, agreed.

The success on O will come down (at least somewhat) as teams start to learn how we operate on O. And... what happens when King is gone? Lashlee has earned carte blanche in all of three games, so I'm not worried. But I have to imagine next year's starter is TVD, I know the staff is very high on him, but I seriously doubt he has the running ability King does.

By no means trying to be a downer, things are looking on the up for this season, but let's remember it's early.

Was just pointing out the marked, immediate difference that several of us had confidence in, given the changes.

It’s literally an entirely different football team because of 2 people.

(Not discounting others, I know it takes a village. Just saying it all starts with 1 and Lashlee)

That one stat that really stood out to me. Not only does it sustain drives, but it gives our D more rest.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back