Berrios relishing opportunity vs. FAU

View as article

Peter Ariz

All American
Premium
It was a successful season-opener for Canes receiver Braxton Berrios, who got in the end zone on special teams with a 41-yard punt return touchdown. The offense had an extremely efficient performance on Saturday night as well.

“It’s a good feeling that we can go out and execute what we’ve been doing all fall and it will actually work in the games. It’s not just against our defense or scouts – it can work against another team,” Berrios said.

One of the biggest takeaways from the Canes’ blowout win against FAMU was the ease at which they did so – without having to pull out smoke and mirrors. It seemed like the offensive game plan was vanilla, but executed nearly perfectly.

“We executed our base plays. If it’s not broke, then don’t fix it. We were able to execute it tremendously,” he said.

Miami’s junior receiver said the offensive unit knows they will be relied on in case of the injury bug hampering the other side of the ball.

“The defense is banged up, we all know that so we’ve got to take a little bit of pressure off of them. It’s our job to score and especially now we have to score a lot,” he said.

“I was surprised they called it, to be honest. It’s part of football. I don’t like calling fair catch. I’m surprised they called targeting, I didn’t expect it to happen,” Berrios said.

Berrios might have a bit more juice than usual in this week’s game against Florida Atlantic. Last season, he watched from the stands as he missed the game with a knee injury. Berrios was so frustrated watching the game that he left at the half.

“We played terrible. We came out flat and didn’t play well at all, especially in the first half,” he said. “Whatever it was last year, that was last year. We are going in there with the right mindset this year.”

On the possibility of being ranked, Berrios thinks that the team will remain levelheaded, no matter where they see their name in the polls.

“It’s nothing to get to happy about,” Berrios said. “That should be the standard. It shouldn’t be something we get overjoyed about, and I don’t think we will.

Advertisement
Hope this guy has a breakout season. I had high expectations for him when he signed. This looks like it could be a great year for him.

It was a successful season-opener for Canes receiver Braxton Berrios, who got in the end zone on special teams with a 41-yard punt return touchdown. The offense had an extremely efficient performance on Saturday night as well.

“It’s a good feeling that we can go out and execute what we’ve been doing all fall and it will actually work in the games. It’s not just against our defense or scouts – it can work against another team,” Berrios said.

One of the biggest takeaways from the Canes’ blowout win against FAMU was the ease at which they did so – without having to pull out smoke and mirrors. It seemed like the offensive game plan was vanilla, but executed nearly perfectly.

“We executed our base plays. If it’s not broke, then don’t fix it. We were able to execute it tremendously,” he said.

Miami’s junior receiver said the offensive unit knows they will be relied on in case of the injury bug hampering the other side of the ball.

“The defense is banged up, we all know that so we’ve got to take a little bit of pressure off of them. It’s our job to score and especially now we have to score a lot,” he said.

“I was surprised they called it, to be honest. It’s part of football. I don’t like calling fair catch. I’m surprised they called targeting, I didn’t expect it to happen,” Berrios said.

Berrios might have a bit more juice than usual in this week’s game against Florida Atlantic. Last season, he watched from the stands as he missed the game with a knee injury. Berrios was so frustrated watching the game that he left at the half.

“We played terrible. We came out flat and didn’t play well at all, especially in the first half,” he said. “Whatever it was last year, that was last year. We are going in there with the right mindset this year.”

On the possibility of being ranked, Berrios thinks that the team will remain levelheaded, no matter where they see their name in the polls.

“It’s nothing to get to happy about,” Berrios said. “That should be the standard. It shouldn’t be something we get overjoyed about, and I don’t think we will.

Imagine it was a tough locker room last year, that right there says a lot. Hope he stays healthy this year.

Advertisement
image.jpg

This?

Advertisement
You want some mustard with that hot dog, Berrios? How about some relish?

Here, I'll help you.

Berrios was involved in a targeting call during a fair catch that resulted in the ejection of one of FAMU's defensive backs. “I was surprised they called it, to be honest. It’s part of football. I don’t like calling fair catch. I’m surprised they called targeting, I didn’t expect it to happen,” Berrios said.

Advertisement
One thing that stuck out in this game is the fact that receivers were hitting on their blocks. There were several instances of Berrios and/or Coley taking people off their feet, springing a running back or another receiver. Haven't seen that the past few years and I like it!

One thing that stuck out in this game is the fact that receivers were hitting on their blocks. There were several instances of Berrios and/or Coley taking people off their feet, springing a running back or another receiver. Haven't seen that the past few years and I like it!
Second this emotion....Previous years, the good years, WR's were big time blockers that sprung skill players for big gains...Kellen Winslow tried to block somebody on every play that he wasn't a main target

Advertisement
Berrios relishing opportunity vs. FAU

"It was a successful season-opener for Canes receiver Braxton Berrios, who got in the end zone on special teams with a 41-yard punt return touchdown. The offense had an extremely efficient performance on Saturday night as well. "

Should be interesting watching his stats grow this year... Currently Nationally rated ... tied for first with (1) return.. with 3 other players.

Stats... http://web1.ncaa.org/stats/StatsSrv...emicYear=2017&rptType=PDF&doWhat=showrankings

Canes Canes Canes !!!

Advertisement
Back