Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching

HerbieDaGawd

Junior
So, being as tired of the clownshow of coaching that is going on in Coral Gables as anyone else. I decided to finally watch Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching from 2019.
The idea was to be able to live vicariously through my tv and get an idea of what good coaching looks like to get the tainted coaching of the canes out of my head for at least a little bit.

Within the first 20 minutes the GOATs of coaching are talking about reviewing film after a loss:
Both Belichick and Saban had tales of what it required to access the kind of information that is now available with the push of the button. Saban cut film and taped it back together to get games organized by offense, defense and special teams. Belichick used ice picks with the Colts in 1975 to help organize index cards that had diagrams of opponent plays. Ice picks.
"It was tedious," Belichick said. "But you learned the game."
Of course, now teams -- like the Patriots -- have the ability to upload video of games to their laptops before the team plane has taken off for home. Times have changed.
"Now it's like rushing to do the most important work, the breakdown stuff, so we can get to the other stuff. It always drives me crazy too. I walk on the plane after a loss, a lot of times the coaches will be there with their computers and everything. I'm like, 'You know, fellas, the reason we got beat is because we can't tackle and we can't force the run. All the rest of this is a bunch of garbage. This isn't about a computer, getting into some space world technology. We can't tackle."
Saban goes on to say:
It trains a different type of guy to be a coach. Because now you can be in technology....alright...if you are really smart in computers and all that. You may not know the first thing about coaching football players or technique, but you can rise in the world, because you are really good at all that.
Literally feels like Saban is describing Manny.

Oh the irony.

Anyone else watch it? It is available on HBO.

Advertisement
Haven’t watched it. Does Belicheat say anything about how he only won all those Super Bowls because he had Tom Brady?

And does Saban mention that owning car dealerships that can give players and their parents no-show jobs and free cars is an important part of coaching college football?

Advertisement
And does Saban mention that owning car dealerships that can give players and their parents no-show jobs and free cars is an important part of coaching college football?
Rich kids getting Pell Grants, calling card schemes, Luke’s pay for play…

Advertisement
i dont like that

i do like apfelreis mit zimt, like my grandma used to make it. jesus, i would kill for that
Also very tasty.

But you don't like mit soße? WHAT!

add some vanille eis.... Its the best part!

Advertisement
So, being as tired of the clownshow of coaching that is going on in Coral Gables as anyone else. I decided to finally watch Belichick & Saban: The Art of Coaching from 2019.
The idea was to be able to live vicariously through my tv and get an idea of what good coaching looks like to get the tainted coaching of the canes out of my head for at least a little bit.

Within the first 20 minutes the GOATs of coaching are talking about reviewing film after a loss:

Saban goes on to say:

Literally feels like Saban is describing Manny.

Oh the irony.

Anyone else watch it? It is available on HBO.
saw it, it was fantastic

Advertisement
coaches need great players to win titles. whats next, grass is green? beer tastes good?
Brady was not great before belicheck. He was actually mediocre for the first half (maybe even most) of his time in NE. NE was a laughing stock who frequently lost to the JETS whenBicicheck took over and rebuilt the team. Brady wasn’t considered a goat until recently, throughout his time (and “prime”) he was mostly considered a system guy and always lumped in as a 2nd tier qb behind top tier guys like Peyton, brees, Favre, Kurt Warner and roethlisberger.

Jets fans were actually happy when Brady first got the nod over Bledsoe, that’s how much of a bum people thought he was. I dont think he got recognized until the moss years and then after the Atlanta Super Bowl meltdown I think is when e$pn started pushing the goat **** and everyone jumped on board

Brady was not great before belicheck. He was actually mediocre for the first half (maybe even most) of his time in NE. NE was a laughing stock who frequently lost to the JETS whenBicicheck took over and rebuilt the team. Brady wasn’t considered a goat until recently, throughout his time (and “prime”) he was mostly considered a system guy and always lumped in as a 2nd tier qb behind top tier guys like Peyton, brees, Favre, Kurt Warner and roethlisberger.

Jets fans were actually happy when Brady first got the nod over Bledsoe, that’s how much of a bum people thought he was. I dont think he got recognized until the moss years and then after the Atlanta Super Bowl meltdown I think is when e$pn started pushing the goat **** and everyone jumped on board
Well, he couldnt be great before Belichick because he was a QB at Michigan who didnt always play because of boosters. Belichick drafted him in 2000 and let Brady develop next to a defensive unit that was known as shutting everything and everyone down.

Yeah, that's it, Miami has to do a better job cheating. And Alabama only wins because Saban cheats. Really, are we that stupid?

How about the fact the guy has a system, scheme, structure in place and has a clue about what he's doing. He's anal as ****, but smart enough to periodically make tweaks when necessary. Yeah, he has the finances and support to build a ridiculous infrastructure, but he also has a revolving door of assistant coaches he plugs in and the program continues to hum along. Right, he has his pick of talent, but understandably so. Kids want to play for Saban because it's the closest thing to the NFL, solid coaching, play in the biggest games and for championships, they're gonna be NFL-ready and there's a track record of first-round draft picks & healthy contracts.

You realize that Belichick drafted Brady right? He didn't play until his second year, and took the starting job from Bledsoe once Drew got hurt. The Pats thought so highly of Brady, they kept him on the roster as a rookie, despite him being the 4th QB.

Yes, Brady relied on the D in his first couple of Super Bowl wins, but once he blossomed, he carried that franchise for well over a decade. Then again, he spent most of that time carrying an offense made up of trash. The one time they got him an elite receiver, they were one win away from the best season in league history.

By the way, Jets fans are idiots. Anyone that saw Brady in college knew he was strong in regards to intangibles, and had an okay arm. The question was whether his body would hold up. You can't measure how bad someone wants it, how much some people thrive under pressure...Brady also benefited from the rule changes that made horizontal passing even more dangerous than it had been in previous generations. If the NFL had remained a vertical passing league, Brady may have had a ceiling.

Advertisement
Back